3.3TT JunBL EVC Vs Borla S Type

Tobstertx3

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
Ok, so for those of you that haven’t read my previous posts, I’ll give you a quick summary:

I purchased a Kia Stinger from a dealer that already had the Borla installed. After driving it for 1000 miles I decided that the Borla was a little loud for me, mainly due to my commute on the highways (too loud at 75-85mph) and occasionally having customers in my car for work. So, due to that I sold the Borla and purchased the JunBL EVC Exhaust.

Obviously the JunBL costs significantly more than the Borla but I wanted to put this out there to help anyone considering either exhaust. This is only my opinion and sure many will disagree.

Which exhaust has the better quality? JunBL

Which Exhaust is louder Borla or JunBL with valves open? Borla by a long mile. I think I’ll be running with the JunBL valves open all the time. As a comparison:

Stock - 1
JunBL Valves Closed - 2
JunBL Valves Open - 4
Borla - 7

Which exhaust sounds better? Borla IMHO. For anyone interested in the JunBL sound, this is pretty much it -

Am I happy with the JunBL? Not entirely. I ideally want something at the sound level of the Borla when the valves are open. If I went from stock to JunBL originally, I believe I would have been happy. I have been spoilt with the sound of the Borla.

Those of you with the Borla that are thinking about changing. I’d try and spend more time with it.

Hope this helps. I’ll update this post after driving for a bit with the JunBL if my thoughts change.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tobstertx3

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
Great review @Tobstertx3 I would have thought that the JUN was as loud if not louder than the Borla with the valves open
That was my expectation but it’s not even close. I’m hoping it gets louder once it “breaks in”

Any drone form the JUNBL?
None whatsoever.

Last edited:

xot1

1000 Posts Club!
Seoul

xot1

1000 Posts Club!
Seoul
Great review @Tobstertx3 I would have thought that the JUN was as loud if not louder than the Borla with the valves open.

Any drone form the JUNBL?
Youtube videos are misleading. It is not easy to know how loud the exhaust is, unless compared within the same video.

StingerNYC

Queens, NYC
A shame you don't love the JunB.L. That is where i am leaning. There is a few out there that I would like to hear more about but they are impossible to find - at least in the united states.

BAQ Exhaust EVC

Pico Exhaust EVC

XForce Varex EVC

RCP Exhaust EVC

Tobstertx3

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
Agree with @xot1 I'd suggest you try and hear the exhausts in person as in my experience, they sound different than the YouTube videos. Additionally, the sound outside and inside the cabin when driving is totally different than when the car is just stationary being revved - the more common videos out there.

CoconutRob

Stinger Enthusiast
I saw this guys post the other day I think it sounds great happy medium

Salman

I have the Jun b.l evc, and it is great.. loving it!

However, It is always on, and today I noticed the exhuast did not have the usual note. So I closed it and it was the same level of exhuast note? And turned it on again.. same exhuast note again, with no deference what so ever! I figured that there's something wrong with the valves. I'm no expert but I turned my phone's flash on the exhuast, and told my buddy to put the EVC on and off, and there were no changes at all.

I'm attaching the below pics:

20180821_231037.jpg 20180821_231214.jpg

Last edited:

Salman

I have mine installed but have a faulty actuator valve. I have a replacement on the way so I’m not able to give my review/feedback on the exhaust yet as one of the valves is stuck closed.
Hey @Tobstertx3 ,
I've saw in a previous thread that you had a problem with one of your valves, could you tell what went wrong. And do you think the cuase of your problem is similar to what I'm experiencing?

I just had it for less than 12 days ! And kept EVC On since day 3 !

Last edited:

Tobstertx3

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
@Salman Hi! In both pictures you have included, your valves are closed.

First Pic - look at the left pipe. Second Pic - look at the right pipe. You can see the valve is closed. Can you see it?

If this is the picture with no changes when the switch was on/off, i’d take it back to where you got it installed as there’s probably one of the tubing came loose or possibly squashed/restricted so you’re no longer getting the vacuum to open the valves. I doubt both valves would have gone faulty at the same time.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

xot1

1000 Posts Club!
Seoul
I have the Jun b.l evc, and it is great.. loving it!

However, It is always on, and today I noticed the exhuast did not have the usual note. So I closed it and it was the same level of exhuast note? And turned it on again.. same exhuast note again, with no deference what so ever! I figured that there's something wrong with the valves. I'm no expert but I turned my phone's flash on the exhuast, and told my buddy to put the EVC on and off, and there were no changes at all.

I'm attaching the below pics:

View attachment 11419 View attachment 11420
This is the problem with pressure controlled valves. They can get stuck. But it is uncommon for a valve to fail that early, usually it happens after months or years of usage.

xot1

1000 Posts Club!
Seoul
Yes but both valves at the same time is very very unlikely hence the reason I believe it would be a vacuum issue.
You're right.

Salman

@Salman Hi! In both pictures you have included, your valves are closed.Can you see it?

If this is the picture with no changes when the switch was on/off, i’d take it back to where you got it installed as there’s probably one of the tubing came loose or possibly squashed/restricted so you’re no longer getting the vacuum to open the valves. I doubt both valves would have gone faulty at the same time.
Yes I can see it, I thought that the 4 quad exhausts should be closed.

The problem is I insalled it at service shop 430km (265miles) away. But what I will do, I'll try to find an expert service shop in my city. Does this problem need expert hands?

Salman

This is the problem with pressure controlled valves. They can get stuck. But it is uncommon for a valve to fail that early, usually it happens after months or years of usage.
Let me know how you get on or if you have any other questions.
I have one question, if this problem keeps acquiring every month or two, can't I just cut/trim the closed valves.. since I always leave it on?

If I knew that these problem accur 65-95% of the time I would not have bought the EVC.

Because when I was buying, I was afraid of the exhuast being so load (which wasn't), so I told my self you can't go wrong with EVC type, since you can turn it off at any time. Little did I know that it will have problems on openings and closings.

Tobstertx3

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
@Salman

Yes I can see it, I thought that the 4 quad exhausts should be closed.

The problem is I insalled it at service shop 430km (265miles) away. But what I will do, I'll try to find an expert service shop in my city. Does this problem need expert hands?
Only the outer pipe at each side open / close. Someone with experience with EVC systems would be preferred. If they understand how they work they should be able to troubleshoot.

I have one question, if this problem keeps acquiring every month or two, can't I just cut/trim the closed valves.. since I always leave it on?

If I knew that these problem accur 65-95% of the time I would not have bought the EVC.

Because when I was buying, I was afraid of the exhuast being so load (which wasn't), so I told my self you can't go wrong with EVC type, since you can turn it off at any time. Little did I know that it will have problems on openings and closings.
I don't have that much experience with EVC exhausts but I did have one that I installed on my Audi that I had for four years without an issue.

I'd get it checked out first before making any decisions as I think this could be an installation issue but yes, you could modify it to leave them open all the time.

Salman

Thanks @Tobstertx3, I'll be going next Saturday morning to one service shop that are experienced in installing/modifying exhuasts, but I doubt that the know much about EVC Systems.

However if they can't fixed it, I'll be going to the original installer on weekends since it 265miles away.

Once agian thanks.