Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT JT Intake and Cooler review

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Volvowith18psi, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Active Member

*I did NOT receive any type of compensation for writing this review* I will not discuss prices paid for anything. Sorry I didn’t take more pictures. Please keep in mind this was the 1st kit in the US.

I wanted to provide some info for those who may be interested in something like this, specifically on the JT FMIC kit. It first started when I saw the prototypes online and I had to have one. I reached out to JT and he said np, then began my journey to install his 3x the size IC.

My order was for the full FMIC and Intake kit. Being that JT is overseas, trying to pay him so early in the process was kind of a pain. He was not setup yet for international payments. So I went to my bank and did a wire transfer, which costed some extra. He also took a hit with money conversions as I think the US dollar lost some value during the transaction time. JT never complained or asked for additional money. He stuck to what we agreed too. After some waiting, I got this in the mail, in 2day shipping. I shit you not, the box left AUS Thursday and was at my door in PA Saturday morning. I KNOW that wasn’t cheap, but again, he never asked for a dime more. This is what showed up.
    111.jpg
    22.jpg
    333.jpg

I have to admit, JT packs his products like no other part I have ever bought. Even 3k wheels don’t get packed this nice. He included a hat for my son and some great stickers because of the money and time delays, which I never asked for, but he did it cause hes a great dude.

I jacked up the Kia and went to town. *Side tips: Use a hockey puck on the jack pad, jack NEXT to the jack points on the pinch weld and insert the stands on the jack point themselves. IF LOWERED, you WILL need a low-profile jack. Thankfully I had one from my hellcat days. Next, Kia ring clamps have some stupid nut cover on them. I didn’t know this and punched through the tops and used a screw driver at first to remove the clamps. DO NOT DO THIS lol. Use a flat head screw driver, pop them off, and use a socket. It took blowing off the pressure pipe hose like 5 times under boost to figure this out lol*

1st for the intakes. Was straight forward thanks to his color instruction booklet he included. It was hot as crap outside installing this, so a dab of oil was needed to get the silicone to play nice. Warning- I am a QA oversight inspector for work, so I have an extreme attention to welding and fitups. None of which I mention has any effect on anything other than my own OCD. With that said, the kits were fit well and fit into the car with no real issues. I did notice some burn through on the inside, most of which was on the pressure pipe 2-1 for the cooler kit, which will not matter and is 10000% solid, however, I had to get the Dremel out and remove it.
    444.jpg

I ground it flush, which really, the guy welding should have done before fitting the next piece. What woulda taken him maybe 5min to do with a 90, took me a few hours with the Dremel due to bad access and angles. Again, this is no issue structurally, just an OCD thing cause its what I do for a living. One sensor mount also was threaded to a 10mm, which didn’t match the stock bolt. No issues, Home depot was 1mile away. (JT has fixed this for future kits). I polished up the pipes with some Aluminum polish and installed them. Everything went on as expected, except the driver side housing. The bottom housing panel didn’t fit and after talking with JT and taking some measurements, JT determined it was bent wrong, on accident, by an employee. (He fixed it and sent it to me at no cost). Anybody with a small toolset can do this no problem. I did not install the front intake duct work or the housing yet, cause, I want to price the cost of hacking up that plastic piece 1st and I prefer the intakes without the housing because I like the way it looks without. I didnt take much pics of intakes due to the nature of the part.

Finished:
    555.jpg
    Recommended tools: Socket set, 12” extension, heat gun/lube for silicone fitment, flathead screw driver, long nose pliers.

Next is the cooler. Now keep in mind, this is maybe the 1st kit he sold and he had not made an instruction manual yet, so not only was I going into this blind. I had no idea what to do, so I started disassembling things. *Tip- Screw on old bolts/nuts/washers when you remove factory stuff. I forgot where some went o0o* The biggest issue was the cars frames are structurally different and neither I or JT were aware until it was install time. In JTs car, he has vertical crash bars installed which the US version does not.

AUS Red car picture from JT/Another thread and US version for comparison:
    66.jpg
    2222.jpg
    His installer friendly IC utilized those bars to attach the cooler. Obviously, with the US not having them, I couldn’t use them or really attach the cooler properly. The IC does contain two bar type mounts which attach on the front radar bolts which held the 1st IC version with 0 issues for a few weeks, it did not move.

Can see the bar mounts and tow hitch here with the 1st IC version
    123.jpg Next, is that damn tow hitch extension. This will need removed or grinding way down to utilize this giant IC. I 1st tried to remove it with a Dremel cause I didn’t have an angle grinder. Yea, 10 wheels later, nothing. So I bought a 4.5” grinding. It took two tiger wheels and 4 battery’s (small ones) to remove enough for a solid install. I didn’t like the feel of a cutting wheel on the angle I was using. Once that was removed and all the stock parts, it fit in no problem.

During this time JT and I were in full contact about the IC mounts not working for the US version and he had a different version which uses tabs, but is a more complicated install. To use these tabs, you need to drill 4 holes in the crash bar and utilize nutsocks (like a threaded rivet, great thing btw, I wish I had more uses for these) to create threads to screw into.

Fitting 2nd version with tabs:
    1231.jpg
    ffs.jpg
    3131.jpg

JT shipped me another IC, at no cost to me, from the AUS to PA-USA, with all the hardware, side tab style IC, and new driver side duct work. It used 8mm bolts and the nutsock thing needed like an 11/12mm hole!! I didn’t have that size bit, so I drilled a 10 and reamed it with the Dremel some. After that, I spread some anti rust everywhere I exposed shiny metal because it was apparent Kia didn’t do a good job with the anti-rust as I saw oxidation everywhere behind the bumper (not sure I would call it active corrosion at this point). Let that dry and crimped the nutsocks. 1000% did not move 1 bit once crimped. Because it was hard for me to center punch the bracket holes, some were like 1/8th off center, so I fixed the bolt not threading correctly by reaming the bracket bolt hole on the IC from 8mm to 10mm and used a washer. Everything threaded in fine with that extra room. Used a drop of blue locktite (can be removed with heat) on the bolts and that was it. Bam. It was now secured.

Holes drilled, Id guess 11-12mm dia.
    113.jpg

Nutsock things Firmly installed. Only showing 1 side cause the other is identical:
    View attachment 9652
    f13r31r31.jpg

Bam, shes not going ANYWHERE:
    324235.jpg

Finished. The plastic vent thing will need to be heavily modified to get it to play nice with the height of the new IC.
    2312.jpg

Bumper back on and chillen:
    5345345.jpg

That’s the summary I got. The sound this whole setup makes is wonderful and it puts a smile on my face every time those turbos spool. I’m sure people can hear it from 30+’ away too and Im not talking about just the BPV/BOV’s. I’m talking about the car breathing…. I can hear it overtop of my JunBL GT, windows up, A/C on, music on, family talking, and only a slight change in pressure. Its that great. Does it do anything? Yea, it makes me smile and I enjoy it and that’s all that matters. Any improved IAT? Im not sure because I didn’t datalog the factory setup. I will mess with my data logger later. I have a rental for work I drive daily, so the Kia is living in her cooled garage for now. JT was there 100% of the way as I sent him feedback on issues in which he used to revise the product line so there are no issues with any future kits. Recommended tools for IC install: Socket set, Drill, 1-20mm drill bit set, socket extensions, anti-rust compound, nutsock crimper tool thing (for US people), level, tape measure, Dremel (maybe), flat head screw driver, heatgun/lube for silicone, flashlight/shoplight, FACESHIELD AND SAFETY GLASSES, Space to store all the junk you remove from the car. (lol)

Quality of kit/parts/packaging/company/price: 9.5/10- Only losing some due to the bad bend.

Rating on install difficulty/time. Intakes 2/10 | Cooler 6/10 (Cooler is a somewhat involved process for us without the vertical crash bar. If you have all the needed tools, it will be MUCH easier. I didn’t but do now!)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. STINGER

STINGER Bahrain Active Member

Excellent write up. What the hell is a nutsock, never heard of that before.

Also what does the butt dyno say after the install?

3. Volvowith18psi

Its like a threaded rivet.

The butt dyno enjoys it very much!

4. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Volvowith........your stinger is bad ass. You have a wicked ride my friend!:D

5. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

I know this is off topic, but thoughts on the Jun? Any drone?

6. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club!

Excellent write-up! Thank you!

7. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Excellent write up. Thanks for the tips.

8. Dan1028

Dan1028 United States Member

Me either. I Googled it, and now I'm deleting my search history, lol.

Good write up, OP.

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

I'm going to buy the intake next week. Do you know if he got setup with different payment methods for international buyers?

10. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

He has PayPal now. I bought two IC kits earlier this week for me and a friend.

Great write up. Will be helpful for others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I will be getting the intercooler soon. Thanks for the info.

12. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Active Member

Also the "nut sock" is also commonly called a "nutsert". Might save you some google history embarassment

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. RandallK

RandallK United States Active Member

I am done spending money on the car this year.. but that IC is my first upgrade for 2019..

Thanks for the write up!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  14. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Ha, wife cut ya off huh?

• Like Like x 1
  15. RandallK

RandallK United States Active Member

Not yet, but damn close....hahahahhaa

Don’t want to disrupt the Matrix...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Volvowith18psi

Nutsert!! That's right!! Ill update the OP tomorrow with the correct verbiage lol.

17. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Great write up.

JT dose some cool things. .... .

18. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Active Member

What would you rate the Stinger spark plug install (assuming you have done this) on your 10 point difficulty scale?
    The FMIC sounded challenging.

19. Volvowith18psi

Haven't done it. I'm abit intimadated with the plugs. Once we start seeing improvements in traps with tunes, ill tackle them then.

20. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Active Member

Like you, the silly cap over the hose clamps puzzled me for at least 10 minutes. If you are average with cars the plugs are challenging but doable. Without the Tork vid i wouldn't have attempted.

Draft saved Draft deleted