kia stinger store

JB4 Stinger Logs!

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
I noticed few Stinger tuners post logs to the forums. I hope it's not because they aren't doing any? Regardless one of the nifty JB4 features is full data logging and we'll be posting routine logs to showcase differences between maps, tuning approaches, etc.

Have around 200 miles on our new development car and figured it was time to do a few baseline runs.

First up map0 (stock tuning). This was the best of a couple tries. I'm sure if I could get a more aggressive launch or on a cooler day the car would be in the 12s stock. Pretty impressive!

Boost was around 11psi with a slight taper towards redline, AFR really rich at 10:1. I suspect there is some hidden power, and maybe the root of our platforms misfire issue, in that AFR. Definitely will be working on JB4 fuel control soon. Note, the JB4 logs both banks of the engine so you can compare for differences. In this case they lined up perfectly as expected.

Next up for kicks I selected map4 which is a prototype "valet" map in the v3 firmware I'm testing. It runs around half of the stock boost level. Based on the 1/4 mile trap difference (108mph to 98mph) seems like it cut around 100hp!

Next up will be some tuned runs but running the factory plugs and factory plug gap.

Never thought

1000 Posts Club!
Arizona
I noticed few Stinger tuners post logs to the forums. I hope it's not because they aren't doing any? Regardless one of the nifty JB4 features is full data logging and we'll be posting routine logs to showcase differences between maps, tuning approaches, etc.

Have around 200 miles on our new development car and figured it was time to do a few baseline runs.

First up map0 (stock tuning). This was the best of a couple tries. I'm sure if I could get a more aggressive launch or on a cooler day the car would be in the 12s stock. Pretty impressive!

Boost was around 11psi with a slight taper towards redline, AFR really rich at 10:1. I suspect there is some hidden power, and maybe the root of our platforms misfire issue, in that AFR. Definitely will be working on JB4 fuel control soon. Note, the JB4 logs both banks of the engine so you can compare for differences. In this case they lined up perfectly as expected.

Next up for kicks I selected map4 which is a prototype "valet" map in the v3 firmware I'm testing. It runs around half of the stock boost level. Based on the 1/4 mile trap difference (108mph to 98mph) seems like it cut around 100hp!

Next up will be some tuned runs but running the factory plugs and factory plug gap.
God speed with those plugs! Great info. Looking forward to your further development!

STINGER

Stinger Enthusiast
Bahrain
Very interesting. I hope you get to the bottom of the plug/coil issue.

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
I'm certain that every responsible tuner in 2018 does logging.

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
I'm certain that every responsible tuner in 2018 does logging.
You'd hope every tuner would, but you'd be surprised but how little they do sometimes. When I see tuners post a dyno chart or timeslip that doesn't have a log to go with it, I definitely raise an eyebrow.

Regardless another nice feature of the JB4 is you can program in active safety systems so the JB4 will revert to a low boost map if it detects too much timing pull, AFR going too lean, fuel pressure dropping, boost getting too high, etc, etc. So you get the benefit of having a machine looking at your logs full time every time and aborting if things get ugly!

D-C

You'd hope every tuner would, but you'd be surprised but how little they do sometimes. When I see tuners post a dyno chart or timeslip that doesn't have a log to go with it, I definitely raise an eyebrow.

Regardless another nice feature of the JB4 is you can program in active safety systems so the JB4 will revert to a low boost map if it detects too much timing pull, AFR going too lean, fuel pressure dropping, boost getting too high, etc, etc. So you get the benefit of having a machine looking at your logs full time every time and aborting if things get ugly!

The only problem I found with JB4 on my 335i was the inconsistency some days it pulled hard. And other days it really felt like it struggled to get up. It wasn’t until I had a custom BEF and tuning done that it made it feel consistent. I hope this has been improved for the stinger. I don’t want this to sound to negative as Terry does brilliant work and overall it was a great product which I’m looking at purchasing again. Very good value for money. Thanks Terry

Tonkabob

2500 Posts Club!
Seattle, Wa
I did an obd 1/4 mile time app while at the real drag strip and the app was .3 faster than reality. Just heads up not to trust the data 100%.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
I did an obd 1/4 mile time app while at the real drag strip and the app was .3 faster than reality. Just heads up not to trust the data 100%.
I think those screenshots are from that draggy GPS box thing.

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
Yes the apps are not accurate at all. This is dragy and it's spot on: dragy - GPS Based Performance Meter - Free Shipping in USA

On our Stinger started getting some sputtering at only 3-4psi over stock so decided to just do the plugs. I have Denso 5346 IKH24 plugs on order, $7.90/each from RockAuto.com. Should have them Wed and then it's back in the game!

Never thought

1000 Posts Club!
Arizona
Yes the apps are not accurate at all. This is dragy and it's spot on: dragy - GPS Based Performance Meter - Free Shipping in USA

On our Stinger started getting some sputtering at only 3-4psi over stock so decided to just do the plugs. I have Denso 5346 IKH24 plugs on order, $7.90/each from RockAuto.com. Should have them Wed and then it's back in the game!
Why those plugs over the HKS? Just curious.

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
Why those plugs over the HKS? Just curious.
The specs look good and they are 1/3 the price. We'll be testing out some various plug options and they seemed like a natural first test.

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
Got the Denso 5346s @ 0.022" installed and they are working great so far. Log from earlier today on crap 91 octane, map2. 12.9@110mph with a soft launch.

Attachments

RandallK

STL Stinger Club
St. Louis Missouri
Hey @Terry@BMS, I soldered/heat shrunk two of the obd2 cables and ran them to the JB4 today and started logging.

How would you like me to send the logs?

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
Making good progress on JB4 Stinger fuel control. One of the JB4's unique abilities allows it to tap in to the o2 sensors and directly alter the air/fuel ratio. The factory tuning is so rich at full throttle we're hoping leaning it out a bit will result in more power. Especially on E85 mixtures. We'll find out soon.

The removable posi-taps are on the sensor side of the harness and virtually undetectable once removed as it's under the factory sleeving I've pulled back to attach them. Takes around 20 seconds to attach but connections like this would always remain optional for those looking to really push things performance wise.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Making good progress on JB4 Stinger fuel control. One of the JB4's unique abilities allows it to tap in to the o2 sensors and directly alter the air/fuel ratio. The factory tuning is so rich at full throttle we're hoping leaning it out a bit will result in more power. Especially on E85 mixtures. We'll find out soon.

The removable posi-taps are on the sensor side of the harness and virtually undetectable once removed as it's under the factory sleeving I've pulled back to attach them. Takes around 20 seconds to attach but connections like this would always remain optional for those looking to really push things performance wise.

Have you guys done any before and after runs on the dyno to document the difference between stock, map 1, map 2, etc?

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
Have you guys done any before and after runs on the dyno to document the difference between stock, map 1, map 2, etc?
Yes but going to make a few changes, we'll post some dynos with the next firmware update. :)

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
Did a quick prelim map 1 run on 91 octane with the new fuel control in place. AFR doesn't reflect the change but it's around 1pt leaner than shown, currently. Traps are great for just 2.5psi over stock so we're definitely barking up the right tree here.

072018_0920.jpg
Screenshot_20180720-210656.png
Screenshot_20180720-210715.png

STINGER

Stinger Enthusiast
Bahrain
Excellent stuff Terry, when tapping into the O2, will there be a way to get the actually AFR?

Terry@BMS

Authorized Vendor
We continue to read each wideband O2 senor off CANbus, but we have to add back in whatever offset we are adding/subtracting to the signal, to make it accurate. Working on that now. :)