Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We have over 10,000 viewers online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Register Now
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

JB4 Review (another)

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by Kamauxx, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States Stinger Enthusiast

I installed the JB4 a few weeks back. I ran it with 93 octane and map 1 (+3 psi boost) for approximately 200 problem free miles .

During that time I compared stock to map 1 acceleration and noted the car with JB4 is a quarter second quicker to 60 than without (4.3 seconds)

Yesterday I re-gapped my stock spark plugs to .025 and applied map 2 to the JB4.

With either setting there is virtually no difference noticed when just cruising around. The difference is most notable under moderate to heavy acceleration. With map 2 now applied I don't feel the need to use sport mode as much because acceleration has improved significantly in comfort mode.

Map 2 also doesn't play well with launch control. The tires break lose so instead of the instant acceleration of stock and map 1 there is a fraction of a second where the car struggles to put the power down.

And on a related unrelated note I've discovered that I suffer from motion sickness whenever I accelerate hard. Launch control actually makes me sick like I just got off a roller coaster. I get the sweats and dizzy and a headache--not cool!

• Like Like x 5
  2. iclicku

iclicku United States Stinger Enthusiast

Would be nice to see a 0-60 with map 2 if you're feeling up to it. I know you said the wheels break loose but still would like to see/hear it. Good review!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kamauxx

I was thinking about doing it but I swear man I think I'm too old for driving fast. Those other videos I made with map 1 made me nauseous as hell.

I'm ashamed of me. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. iclicku

S'all good man. Wouldn't want you to ruin your car interior for that...lol

Thanks again!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Never thought

Never thought United States Active Member

Arizona
    I’ve never made myself car sick ... until I got my Stinger. Haha! Just shows how well it grips and accelerates. I am pretty sure my Stinger has punched me in the head a few times.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. You running RWD or AWD?

7. Kamauxx

RWD

8. Jonathan Lasich

Jonathan Lasich Canada Newish Member

You are not alone. In 2008, my wife and i drove to Virginia International Raceway for a 3 day HPDE with the SVT Cobra Mustang Club (we had a 2007 C6 Corvette Z06 at the time). One of the drivers had a 2006 Ford GT (he had driven quite a ways from home to participate). On his second lap of the first session of the first day, he suddenly came to a screeching halt after barreling into the pits, opened the door of his car, leaned out and vomited and wretched for over a minute. After walking around and calming down his stomach for 10 minutes or so, back out on track. Two laps later, same thing. Third time, same thing, after which the track marshall came up to him and advised him to quit for the weekend. Poor guy was beside himself! Sad soul specifically bought the car to get into doing HPDEs for the first time. Up to then, had no idea that he suffered from motion sickness to that extent. Career over before it even started!!

Good thing you're not driving a Nissan GT-R. My 2010 full bolt on did 0-60 in 2.6 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 10.56 @ 130 MPH. Brutal acceleration!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

So you highly recommend this product? Have you tried any other plug and play?

10. Kamauxx

I went to Six Flags and road the Batman rollercoaster a few years ago. When I got off of it I felt like crap for the rest of the day-- nauseated, headache, dizziness. I figured it was just par for the course...a side effect of being thrown around at high Gs.

Before the Stinger I've owned Camaros, a GTO, a Z06 and a host of slower cars. None of those cars ever caused me any problems.

The first time I used launch control on the Stinger I could feel my stomach turn upside down. But I did it again, and again, and again. The rest of that night I was sick. I realized after testing out map 1 acceleration that motion sickness was causing my problem.

I'm still going to try out a few consecutive runs with map 2 and launch control. I'll just have to suck it up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kamauxx

I haven't tried any others so I have nothing to compare it to .

I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to first re-gap their plugs. But potential customers so be aware that this isn't something you'll notice when just driving normal. It's probably noticed most above 2500 RPM.

If someone is comfortable using the tuning app they can adjust how many lbs of boost the car makes at certain RPM so that's beneficial to getting the most of your everyday crusing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shtinger

Shtinger Canada New Member

good review!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jonathan Lasich

Take some cocculine an hour before doing your map 2 runs (non drowsy natural anti-nauseant)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. iclicku

Never tried cocculine but Scopolomine is also something you can take to reduce nausea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Jonathan Lasich

Yes, that's an alternative. I don't know about where you live, but here, Scopolamine is a prescription medication. Cocculine is a natural product available over the counter in the natural remedies section of the pharmacy or health food stores, and works quite well I may add.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Just noting for readers that this is the norm for tunes. They're supposed to drive like normal and simply provide more power when you ask for it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Member

This is even more trait of tuned turbo cars. Under vacuum they behave more or less stock. Hell, my CLS63 makes nearly 1000 lb/ft of torque and driving around in comfort at low speed you would not tell it. Dip into boost and all hell breaks loose though. Thanks kamauxx for sharing and confirming high boost operation on gapped down stock plugs. I wish we had some reviews from an AWD running high boost piggy backs. 400+whp should dip these things into sub 4 s on AWD and and 11's in the quarter which is pretty stout. 450ish should put it mid 3's and enough to wipe the smile off the brand snobs out there.

• Like Like x 4
  18. KLR STINGER

KLR STINGER Canada Member

Side note, I just ordered on of these for performance testing:

Dragy: dragy - GPS Based Performance Meter - Free Shipping in USA

Would be good for folks who are interested in documenting performance increases though there mod journey. Its become the newest craze with gear heads, as there is a social and competition aspect to it. For $150 bucks seems like a great option to get some scientific results for mods.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Kamauxx

You're pretty knowledgeable...how much PSI do you think the Stinger can handle?

Map 2 is 4 PSI in all RPMs. I was thinking of editing map 3 to produce 5 PSI in lower RPMs (<3000) and 4 PSI in the higher range. Thoughts?

20. Jonathan Lasich

Draft saved Draft deleted