Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT JB4 or Exhaust first?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Bonsai, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bonsai

Bonsai United States Active Member

What are people’s thoughts, should I go for the JB4 or exhaust first? Or maybe experiences with what they felt they should of done first, or happy they did one before the other.

2. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Good question. I've been tossing about JB4 or Ark Secondaries. Would like to have both at the same time but with CDN dollars and shipping....Ouch. Plus wife might notice. So ya which one first?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bonsai

Yeah I feel you. I could do the exhaust which is double the JB4 but if I get the JB4 I wouldn’t be able to do the exhaust for a couple months. Luckily I’m in the US so don’t have to worry about conversion or crazy shipping.

4. turboAWD

turboAWD United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

I would do jb4 all day every day, but I've always been "go over show". I.e. faster instead of louder. jb4 is less, and keeps its resale value better, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lay

Lay United States Member

JB4 if you're looking into getting more performance. You'll be able to get a JB4 kit and intakes for the cost of most catback setups. If you just want to change the sound/tone of your car, exhaust. I did intakes first, then catback, and then the ultimate performance downpipe combo. No JB4 yet but it's next on my list.

• Like Like x 1
  6. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

JB4 all the way......buying a mid/down pipe first is foolish :) Wash

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

Lay that's about as bass akwards as one could get....lol :) Wash

8. mhal8876

mhal8876 United States Stinger Enthusiast

JB4 + Bluetooth + Plugs and then Intake. That's what i have!

• Like Like x 1
  9. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

BOTH!;) If you’re planning on a catback exhaust(~$1000+), you can technically do a JB4($479-$619) with inexpensive muffler deletes($150-$200) & DIY intakes(~$100) for less money total and get to enjoy more power & better sound immediately.:D

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Bonsai

I’m in between that, I’m all for go over show, but then think as well, you know a nice sound would be nice too. I was leaning to the JB4 just needed the little push. If people were saying you really needed an exhaust to get proper results from the JB4 I would be doing exhaust first.

Plan is to do a DIY intake regardless. I’ve read the muffler deletes have a pretty good sound, just haven’t searched for a sound clip. Regardless I am looking into an exhaust with an EVC, specifically the Smart Box from xforce.

I will be ordering the JB4 in a little bit here, thanks for the opinions!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

JB4 if you want performance, exhaust if you want nice sounds for enjoyment. Really up to you, from what we've seen the stock exhaust is adequate for stock turbo applications, it isn't a bottle neck. Intake is needed with a tune though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Active Member

For me it's bolt-ons first and if I still feel like I need more go, then the JB4.

FYI - With a tune you also need to swap the spark plugs.

13. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

My general rule of thumb is getting the basics out of the way first: intake and exhaust. I always do breathing mods before I put on any sort of electronics. *shrug*

14. Pnbnationsbest

Pnbnationsbest United States Stinger Enthusiast

• Like Like x 1
  15. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

get a jb4 and intakes for the same price and have a local muffler shop do a muffler delete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bonsai

So about to order the JB4, I am ordering the Velossa Big Mouth and was going to pair it with a DIY intake, is the restriction in the air box as well as the tubing? Or is replacing the air box with an open filter removing most of the restriction. If it’s in the tubing as well I may as well order an intake as well. I’m not with the car right now to look what kind of routing or if it’s the corrugated type tube like other vehicles.

17. turboAWD

Sure, IF NEEDED. On my Subaru, stock intake / exhaust were only a restriction above 300-350 whp. I only made ~250-270 whp with my bnr16g - neither intake nor exhaust were a restriction.. I didn't see a need to upgrade.

It sounds like mufflers aren't a huge bottleneck, at least with jb4 levels of power. To me, most people doing that are doing it just because of the sound. You can always upgrade the exhaust later for those extra 5-10 hp..

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Bonsai

Yeah sound is nice, but not priority, plus holding off will give me time to research on options for a smart EVC setup. although I may be loosing any option of that with the JB4 and will just have to go with a toggle EVC.

19. turboAWD

As far as I can tell, it's 3" pipe into the turbos (haven't done it myself - I'm only at 700 miles..). It all depends on your budget, IMHO. I've specced out various DIY packages, some using $20 Spectre filters, some using $50 AEM plus heat shields. It comes to something like $150 (the Spectre heat shields are $25 each right now) and the heat shields are metal. If you want plastic, then I think AEM is the best bang-for-buck for the pre-made, so you probably can't go wrong with that one.

20. ZyroXZ2

ZyroXZ2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

While it's true that modern engineering has drastically improved intake/exhaust functions balancing emissions/noise standards with performance, properly chosen breathing mods are always a benefit, even in stock form. There's a reason dyno charts show gains on stock vehicles with an intake or exhaust. It's not that its a "restriction", it's that there's GAINS to be had that only get better with continual modding.

Besides, basic modding is always a good place to start because they're always a lot more mild. If your car might have a part that could break, it's a lot less likely to be catastrophic and easier to get covered under warranty if all you've got is intake and exhaust work. That's part of my thinking: if my car has some issues, better to weed them out in the early stages of mild modding than jump 60HP and try to weasel your lines with the dealership to try and prove it wasn't any modding (even if, indeed, the mod wasn't exactly the issue).

His car, his choice. I've followed a pattern for a long time not because someone told me to, but because it was logical, lol

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted