I've heard of the term "continental road" but I've no clue what kind of road this refers to. Google as failed me too.

Praetorian

Newish Member
Australia
Back when I was still researching what car to get to replace my Mazda6 (spoiler alert, it was a Stinger GT less than 72 hours ago), I kept hearing the Stinger is particularly awesome once you get it onto 'continental roads'. Heard this term mainly on US/Canadian/European reviews. Here in Australia, I've never heard that term before. Tried googling the term, no luck. Only kept talking about "continental" in other contexts, none were road related.

So here I am, risking the reveal of my utter stupidity: What is a continental road?

Is it any country road outside of towns/cities but which isn't a main highway? Or is it another term for a highway? Or is it simply a style of paved road, like bitumen (this is the main road material in Oz if any aren't aware)?

Thanks in advance!

RedCal

Stinger Enthusiast
Toronto, ON
It's not a common term in this part of the world...but I think it's great on a road on any continent! ;)
But they're probably talking about any road that isn't dead straight and flat

jazzdabb

Raleigh NC
Maybe it's the European equivalent of the U.S. term "interstate"?

SafetyPilotCal

I have never heard this term in any context, definitely not in the USA. I tend to watch and read most of the Stinger reviews that pop up. Which review was it? The only thing I can imagine it means is anything from rural long 2-lane roads to freeways. It sounds like something that exclude city driving.

Maybe it's the European equivalent of the U.S. term "interstate"?
They generally use the term motorway.

Ozstung

Sustaining Member
Western Sydney.
Its a British term I'm very familar with it refers to leaving Island Britain and going to the European continent. In this case to drive their roads.

Praetorian

Newish Member
Australia
I have never heard this term in any context, definitely not in the USA. I tend to watch and read most of the Stinger reviews that pop up. Which review was it? The only thing I can imagine it means is anything from rural long 2-lane roads to freeways. It sounds like something that exclude city driving.

They generally use the term motorway.
Honestly I don't recall. I have been contemplating getting a Stinger since Feb this year, and have watched heaps or amateur and 'professional' reviews there, plus results of google searches for written reviews. In hindsight, maybe those review/vids were European reviews.

In any case, now I've had my Stinger for about 4 (well, 3 days and change/hours) and racked up about 500-something KM of driving in it (so much fun I'm driving all over just for the sake of driving it) and on all kinds of bitumen roads (60km/80km/100km/110km speed limits). Some on the motorway, some on the highway to the outer subburbs of my city, some arterial roads within city, some in residential roads, some long straights, some very curvy and bendy roads designed by some drunkard. So far I've not met a type of road or speed limited road that this car is not an absolute joy to drive in. Haven't done dirt roads, but I don't really want to... My deep chroma blue paint will show dirt heaps and since it's under a week, with my "protektiv" surface protection (life time warranty with protection of both interior leather and exterior painted surfaces) I've been told by the Kia dealer I need to give it a week before washing it for the protection to be fully effective. Once I hit Monday I'm then going to give the proper highway a go. For me that'd be Bruce highway. Until then I'll keep to my city if only to keep her as shiny and sexy as possible. Ha!

Praetorian

Newish Member
Australia
Its a British term I'm very familar with it refers to leaving Island Britain and going to the European continent. In this case to drive their roads.
Cheers mate! I wish I could do that, but inflatable aqua-tyres is not a feature (yet) to my knowledge. I gotta stick with Australian roads. I'm a curious chap so at least it won't keep me up at night--not literally--anymore. :D

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!
@Praetorian
Seems you're keeping your location rather secretive but dropping a few clues....North Queensland, Bruce Hwy. Don't be too concerned to make a full disclosure, but someone WILL eventually track you down. ;)

OliverNuther

1000 Posts Club!
Brisbane, Australia
@Praetorian
Seems you're keeping your location rather secretive but dropping a few clues....North Queensland, Bruce Hwy. Don't be too concerned to make a full disclosure, but someone WILL eventually track you down. ;)
Anywhere from Weipa to Mackay!
My money is on Townsville. Everyone dislikes Clive Palmer but only someone from Townsville would happily damage their Stinger by running him over. And we are talking major damage to the front end there. I’m guessing you’re
ex-Queensland Nickel?

Praetorian

Newish Member
Australia
My money is on Townsville. Everyone dislikes Clive Palmer but only someone from Townsville would happily damage their Stinger by running him over. And we are talking major damage to the front end there. I’m guessing you’re
ex-Queensland Nickel?
Registered Nurse. I just have disdain for stupidity, especially trump-like stupidity. :D
Won't narrow down the 'answer' by eliminating wrong answers either!

ShannonC

1000 Posts Club!
ex-Queensland Nickel?
Was just about to suggest TSV as Weipa would be FNQ and NQ is generally Mackay to Cairns.
Speaking of Townsville, your Premier just fucked my gaming and sporting trip later this month!!!! Was booked into Cowboys match and Horn fight with an option to stay on for Supercars!!!! :(:poop:

OliverNuther

1000 Posts Club!
Brisbane, Australia
Was just about to suggest TSV as Weipa would be FNQ and NQ is generally Mackay to Cairns.
Speaking of Townsville, your Premier just fucked my gaming and sporting trip later this month!!!! Was booked into Cowboys match and Horn fight with an option to stay on for Supercars!!!! :(:poop:
Bummer. Would have been a great trip. There is an election coming up in a few months. I will happily settle the score for you. :thumbup: