Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

I've been a VW guy my whole life... (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Community Lounge' started by Fatalifeaten, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:17 PM.

1. I'm not kidding. I've owned 12 VW's over time, and still own 5 of them (3 are aircooled). My most recent daily driver has been a 2012 CC R line. Great little sedan and I've been content driving it. However, the time had come where I was tired of sinking money into it and it's about to need another expensive service done, so time to move on.

Commence shopping around for a replacement, and after trying on a Golf R, a Mustang GT, a 3 series, and a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, I wasn't feeling any of them enough to pull the trigger (the Mustang GT was close, but small inside), so I decided to just wait for the Arteon to arrive (VW's successor to the CC).

One lunch trip with a coworker changed everything. He'd just picked up a new car and offered to take me to lunch in it. He had de-badged it and stripped off all the name plates, so initially I didn't know what it was. Turns out, it was a Stinger GT2 AWD. I was really impressed with the creature comforts, the body lines are awesome, and it was obviously a great drive. When he told me it was a Kia, I was sort of skeptical. After going for that ride, I added the stinger to the potentials list, and set up an appointment to go drive one.

Long story short, I drove 3 stingers that day. I liked the GT2 AWD's power, but the handling felt a little forced and muddy to me even in sport. They didn't have a GT2 RWD, so we switched to a base GT RWD and that was a significant difference in the handling department. I wasn't keen on the blue/black color combo, but that's what they had, so we were heading in to talk numbers when the lot attendant rolled out "the one" from the back...

_DSC0524-Edit.jpg
    2019 Stinger GT base, Aurora Black Pearl with red interior.

That was Memorial Day weekend, and at this point, I'm past the honeymoon stage with the car and still loving it. Like I mentioned before, I really liked my CC, but this just blows it out of the water in every category except mileage. I can get close, but 2 liter turbos are just going to be more fuel efficient than twin turbo v6's. It's a sacrifice I'm happy to take, considering I can still get this up to 28 or so on the freeway without trying.

Future plans right now are kinda up in the air. Some cosmetics (rebadge, vinyl, possibly wheels), some performance (cat-back, intakes, retune), It needs a subwoofer, and maybe some suspension to stiffen it up in corners. We'll see where it goes from there. I'm well versed in "OK we did this, and now we need this!" upgrades on cars from all those years turning wrenches on bugs, so I know what a slippery slope this is :)

Anyway, Thanks for having me.

--FIE

• Like Like x 10
  2. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the upgrade.
    I was in your shoes as well two years ago, only with Nissan/Infiniti.

3. Thanks!

4. Jacques

Jacques United States Active Member STL Stinger Club

Congrats, and it was great reading your car journey to eventually getting the Stinger. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks. I tend to get wordy when I'm excited. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

The fact that so many people are still unaware of what a Kia Stinger is 2 years after it hit the market really illustrates just how horrible Kia did with marketing the car.

Glad you found your way to a new adventure, FIE.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TODDK

TODDK United States Active Member

Congrats on the Stinger!

I also was a lifer VDUB guy, even my wife was. I have had 20/25 VW/AUDI's I lost interest after the VR's disappeared and you could only get 200hp. I am happy with the Stinger.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jacques

Jacques United States Active Member STL Stinger Club

The dealership experience still leaves much to be desired. They seriously need to improve on that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TODDK

TODDK United States Active Member

I agree, that's what happens when you sale $10k cars also

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mhal8876

mhal8876 United States Active Member

Welcome and Congrats on your Stinger!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I hate dealerships and sales people in general. In this case, the experience wasn't bad at all. In and out in about 3 hours, and finance had all the boxes checked in the initial price they gave me (so no messing with 20 here for gap and 15 here for service plans and all that, it was in the price up front and noted). To me, that's a killer experience. Mileage varies by dealer, of course, but I was just as impressed with the dealer experience as I am with the car so far.

12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Boy, you sure get out of the honeymoon stage fast! :p I'm over fifteen months and the honeymoon continues. Welcome to the forum! :thumbup:
    The subs break in. Mine sounded a lot more pronounced after c. a month. The source is the main determinating factor.

Get a thicker rear sway bar. That should be your first suspension mod. You many not need anything else (unless by "need" you mean it is your hobby to go whole hog :p).

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Base GT doens't have the subs I don't think. 9 speaker setup. I am 100% willing to be wrong here though :)

14. MerlintheMad

It does have the two subs under the front seats. Each front door has two speakers, each rear door has one speaker and there's a center speaker. Last year I was surprised to learn this. I had figured the nine speaker arrangement was two speakers per door and a center speaker.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Good to know! I'll let them break in then and see where they come around to before I look for aftermarket. Kinda slim pickings on the ground for tucked enclosures right now anyway, and i'm not sure I want to go with a full box in the hatch.

Thanks for the input!

16. MerlintheMad

For your reading "pleasure" and confusion. :laugh: This has been around and around:
    Subs in the 9 speaker system same as the ones in the 15 speaker system?
    What do you think of the 9 speaker audio system in the base Stinger GT?
    Sound system
    GT Stock Stereo Speakers

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jeaddi

Jeaddi United States Active Member

Welcome And congrats! I had an 09 CC and loved every minute of that car until it went out of warranty! I also thought about getting an Arteon, but decided not to since it’s a front wheel based Awd.

• Like Like x 1
  18. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Welcome. I started with VW: '84 GLI, '90 GTi 16v, '94 Corrado VR6. Then '05 Legacy GT that lasted almost 15 years, and now Stinger..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Congrats and welcome! I too was waiting for the Arteon, but I got a nice deal on my Stinger. I only have a base, but I have no regrets so far. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Manaz

Manaz Australia Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

It shouldn't happen with a $10k car sale, let alone a $50k car sale.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted