Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Issue Number SA341 - Fast Static Gear Shift Logic Improvement (2.0 and 3.3GT)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by SnazZ, May 14, 2018.

1. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Stinger Enthusiast

Listen the faster the car can shift the faster the car will get down the road. You can have 1000hp if trans is not shifting right that hp does you know good.

2. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Uh...okay?

So anyway, can you try a WOT run with your tuner disabled and see if you feel the same issue?

3. Fl stingergt

Ya box was out of car when I got car back and it did not feel right with the shifts. So I figure let me hook back up drive around see what’s up. Transmission shifts where still different.

4. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Ahh shit, I'm at a loss.

5. Fl stingergt

I don’t know if update wiped learned memory of my driving style on pcu or what happened it’s is baffling.

Ya me to.

My transmission was so aggressive before this fix. I’m telling you. It would jump into gear quick and hard. Jolt your body back that’s what sports mode is for right. If I wanted lame shifts I would drive in comfort mode. Would it be possible that some part of fix change something. It’s like the torque converter is not building the same fluid pressure.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
  6. Kato_the_kia_stinger

Kato_the_kia_stinger Stinger Enthusiast

I have not driven my car with the update yet but I’ll chime in once I get it back from paint. I have a sense of that “feeling” that was mentioned earlier. And while I recall feeling a little extra G force when it shifted up, it also felt like right before the shift, it would diminish ever so slightly in power for a millisecond and then shift and regain the power and then some. This always made it feel like an overall big jolt in power. What I also noticed was how shuttery or jolty it would feel when it would downshift as I slowed down. That was never enjoyable. It felt weird, as if I was manually shifting down incorrectly.

7. Fl stingergt

That’s is exactly what I am saying to a t.

When they do update that old feeling of flying through the front windshield as transmission down shifts is gone. But on flip side the same hardshifts going up through gears is gone. Dam I knew I was not going crazy.

See it is something to do with that update. Kia is trying to figure out how to delete that new update on my car. Know one has every asked them to reverse and update they told me. But that’s the feeling I want in sport mode. Ya who I am not insane in the brain.thanks balls awesome

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
  8. Kato_the_kia_stinger

No problem, buddy. As soon as I get my car back, I’ll be testing her out fully. I’ll be testing my 0-60, shift points, 1/4. If the numbers are unchanged (besides the slight changes from cooler weather) I will deal with a less aggressive shift feel. God forbid if my performance has suffered. I’m working toward 11s here. Lol

9. Fl stingergt

Ya me to

10. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

As long as the car is shifting as fast as it was before you shouldn't see any reduction in performance. Hell, you should actually see an improvement. The smoother that transition is on gear changes the more linear the power delivery and acceleration will be.

11. Fl stingergt

Yes looking into the fast static gear change technology. That is what it does it is a learning tech for all cars in us set parameters. Set by the epa it takes engine rpm to shift points for fuel economy. So to whoever was telling me that update wouldn’t cause this issue. Do some more reading and research before you spout out your opinion.

12. junesrig

junesrig United States Active Member Sustaining Member

@Fl stingergt
    I take back what I said about not noticing a difference. I took a trip to Monterey this past weekend and had the opportunity to push it harder on the freeway. IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE IT USED TO; it feels more like an upgraded COMFORT Mode.

13. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States 1000 Posts Club!

So i held off doing this update as long as I could. I noticed, in COMFORT, that the gear is held just a bit longer before shifting.

I put my tuner back on and honestly couldn't tell if there was anything added or removed in the power category. I'd say it smoothed out transitions by holding a few RPMs just before it shifts... I could be nuts though. Definitely feels more like a car than before, where i felt it would shift to 6th gear by 40 MPH.

14. TwinSnails

TwinSnails United States Stinger Enthusiast

So you are saying better or worse?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Metalmania82

Metalmania82 United States Active Member

Debating getting this done or not to my GT. I have the JB4 running Map2 and Sport mode basically everytime I drive. I use Comfort when I first set off now that it's super cold out. I'm not super happy with the trans as it is but that's because i've driven high end ZF models that are amazing. That being said, it's not the worst one I've driven, especially for what it's doing.
    Anyone with a GT and JB4 specifically have negative/positive feedback?

16. Stormlasher

Stormlasher United States Active Member

Should I get this done or not? I’m using pro tuner atm and nothing seems wrong.

17. Kato_the_kia_stinger

@Terry@BMS

• Like Like x 1
  18. Metalmania82

Metalmania82 United States Active Member

Duh. Thanks Balls!

• Like Like x 1
  19. upsidedown

upsidedown Australia Active Member

Well in my opinion it is absolutely the worst automatic transmission I've ever driven (3.3L DBW). Upshifts are jerky, downshifts are even worse and at times it seems to change gear when you have to ask why did it even do that?

Good on the non DBW guys that seem to have had an improvement made but unless the DBW model gets done soon then goodbye Stinger

20. niko

niko United States Stinger Enthusiast

has any one else got this done recently

Draft saved Draft deleted