Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Issue Number SA341 - Fast Static Gear Shift Logic Improvement (2.0 and 3.3GT)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by SnazZ, May 14, 2018.

1. SnazZ

SnazZ United States Member

Note: The title of this post might not match the exact title of the SA. I'll edit afterward as necessary.

I brought my brand new Stinger back to the dealership late last week to drop it off for a couple things. In mentioning the lift gate rattle TSB, they saw there was another TSB for my Stinger. My invoice shows "customer states ck SA341 fast static gear shift logic", with the line item showing "2.0T Transmission Logic Improvement". Since picking up the car Saturday, I've noticed the transmission seems to hold onto gears a little bit longer in comfort mode (only mode I've tried so far.) Only having bought the car about a week ago and losing 3 days with it, (the dealer had it back that long to fix stuff...) it might just be my imagination. If anyone has any detail on this TSB and what exactly it's for, please share. Thanks!

Mod Edit: On 8/16 this TSB was updated to include GT and GT1s.
    B9C93E30-5A0F-4013-B975-316491C3EA0C.jpeg
    74389E91-033F-4007-B0CF-F56026D58FEB.jpeg
    5E13BE2B-66C7-401F-8073-CEF42BFE3838.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2018
  2. Kou

Kou United States New Member

I just dropped mine off to have the rear camera fixed (first one went bad after a week) and was also told about the new recall. From what the service guy was telling me is that this is the logic for how it down shifts.

typically cars going down quickly you will feel a bit of a jerk in the car as the rpm's rev really high, (allegedly) the stinger revs at a higher rpm so that it's a smooth shift and not jerky. This update or whatever is for the logic and is (allegedly) supposed to make it smoother.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. pmorello

pmorello United States Newish Member

Was told the same thing. I posted about this in the TBS 347 Hatch thread. Taking it in on Monday so we'll see how it goes.

4. ChrisOfNYC

ChrisOfNYC United States Newish Member

I'm no technician, I don't know anything about gear shifting other than when something feels off, but the Update is absolutely necessary. My vehicle lost so much power one day, I thought it was going to stall. RPM's were way up but the car didn't push forward at all. It's like the transmission just died on me. This happened just before getting on the highway. I just pulled over right away, sat in the car for a few minutes, tried driving again and had no issues. I read a lot about spark plugs so I upgraded mine (2.0) and assumed it may have fixed the issue. But it didn't, it was a transmission problem as the following day after having upgraded the spark plugs as mentioned (Saturday) it happened again but this time with my child in her car seat. At this point I just completely stopped my plans for my Saturday day off from work and called a few KIA dealerships and made an appointment for Monday morning. I was able to get an immediate 8:15am appointment at a dealership in Jersey (30 minute drive) super quick service and within an hour or two they did the required services (transmission and trunk rattle) and the vehicle feels like an absolute beast. Better than when I drove it off the lot! I mean I immediately felt the difference when I jumped back in and pressed all the way down on the gas pedal. Felt a huge difference on the 30 minute drive back home. Then this morning (Tuesday) I started my car up and quickly headed to work to test it after a cold start and NO issues at all. I feel so much more confident driving my car now.

Also the trunk rattle noise has been absolutely eliminated. I have no idea how. I am looking at the trunk now to see what changes were made but nothing I have noticed yet. I don't think I've ever even inspected the rattle noise as before reading about it in here I just assumed it was my daughter's car seat. Lol

Anyway, hope everyone that needs this gets it done whether you have lost any acceleration or not. If this is available for your car get it done asap and good luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ChrisOfNYC

Nevermind, this didn't fix the issue. This afternoon after work I drove my car and after the traffic light turned green I tried to accelerate and again I felt zero power just the rpms jumped up. So I pulled over before entering the highway. I floored it trying to merge onto highway and again rpms went way up but no acceleration.

Going to call Kia and let them know again. This time I actually recorded driving. So the video shows me on the side of the road with the car in drive, then trying to merge onto the highway and the rpms shoot way up but the mph stays down in the teens, twenties and then finally struggles to reach thirties and forties.

Hopefully they can figure out a fix for this issue because I do love the Stinger. :(

6. pmorello

pmorello United States Newish Member

This logic "fixed" it for sure on mine (only been 4 days). I didn't know there was even an issue before but after they fixed it, I mean, it felt way better. Like ChrisOfNYC it felt better than when I drove it off the lot. Now I'll be on the look out for what your posts refer, but I didn't experience anything of the sort before the fix either. Keep us posted

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChrisOfNYC

Absolutely. I will post the outcome asap.

Quick run down of issue.

One morning I got into the car and headed to work, it was about 80 degrees out this morning but it was still a cold start as the car sat overnight. It started jerking while I accelerated, so I pulled over right away and let it warm up. It didn't do it again so I assumed it was because of the running after a cold start.

So I got nervous, started researching others issues that were similar. Some said spark plugs might be the issue for some reason so I bought new plugs and installed them. Car was working absolutely fine for a few days. Then Saturday morning as I accelerated the car just didn't comply. And I let the engine warm before taking off. It gave us a whiplash effect that's how bad it was.

So right away I pulled over and called KIA dealership for service appointment. They did the static gear shift fix, which was fantastic out the gate. Once I headed home I tested the car before getting on highway and it was fantastic, as I mentioned even better than day one out of dealership.

But a few mornings later and that's all she wrote lol.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
  8. A Member Who Left

A Member Who Left United States Active Member

High speed fuel pump issues??

9. ChrisOfNYC

Actually yes, but they also had to do the switch for the ATF warmer connector. But you are correct, they also swapped out the fuel pump you mentioned. Is that a normal issue with the Stinger?

10. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Yes, the 2.0 engine has had problems with the high pressure fuel pump. Replacement is covered under warranty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. A Member Who Left

A Member Who Left United States Active Member

Yes, I had mine replaced as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChrisOfNYC

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm unsure if I should now feel okay about it (because it isn't just my car) or if I should be worried.... Will these eventually become a recurring issue? It's a brand new model, so I'm nowhere near upset as I understand new vehicles to hit the market will have some issues to be fixed.

Once again thanks.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. BallsAwesome

BallsAwesome United States Active Member

This issue is only for the single turbo (non-GT), correct?

14. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Correct

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. IndyStinger

IndyStinger United States Newish Member

I am not what most people would call a "car guy", so forgive the silly question... but is there any way to tell whether this TSB has been addressed on a specific vehicle? I bought my 2.0 Premium on June 30 and I've noticed jerkier shifting than I did in my previous vehicles. Just wondering if there's a way to find out without scheduling service, since I only have a little over 1k miles on it so far.

16. ChrisOfNYC

Based on the TSB, I read that it only affects certain vehicles manufactured up to a certain date. I don't have the paperwork on hand but if u do, just look for that information and compare it to when your vehicle was manufactured.

(I could be wrong) lol but still, if it continues then take it in anyway. Always better to have it checked out and documented "just in case"

17. IndyStinger

IndyStinger United States Newish Member

Thanks! I looked up the TSB and it's September 29, 2017 through February 7, 2018. The sticker inside the door on mine says 01/18 so I should probably call the dealer and see if they keep records.

18. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Looks like this has been expanded to non drive by wire GTs too. Someone on FB posted that their GT is being updated and my GT1 is being updated today as well.

I asked for the TSB to be printed so I’ll post it once I pick the car up this afternoon.

EDIT: I’ve posted the TSB to the original post and updated the title.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Wadood

Wadood United States Newish Member

So I just got my Stinger less than a week ago, only have less than a 100 miles on it. What do I do to get this checked on/applied to my car? What do I ask for when I take my car to the dealer?

Thanks.

20. StingEm

StingEm United States Active Member

Email your service advisor (or the service department at your dealer)and ask them what TSBs are open for your car (give them your VIN #).

This approach may or may not work. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted