Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by anselgator, Nov 4, 2018.

1. anselgator

anselgator United States Newish Member

Hey guys,

First time poster as I just found this site as I'm looking for a Stinger. I currently drive a Nissan Maxima SR which end of lease is coming up (Feb)......before that a BMW 325. I have been searching for a 'fun' car that is fast and handles. BMW handled..even after 10 years....Nissan is fast, but doesn't handle. I think the Stinger fits the bill for a reasonable price, and I like there aren't a ton on the road.

I found a pre owned 2018 Gt2 RWD. White w black interior (red is our preferred) 8300 miles. Went into lease in June. Story is car owner traded in for a truck (needed either more room or towing). Non Kia dealership offering this car for $40,991. Been sitting for almost a month with a few price drops. Original sticker is 50,965 (has remote start, wheel locks, etc). It also has the 'stinger' rear badge, and the E badge on front hood (was planning on doing this to any Stinger I got).

I feel the price they are offering is just 1st year depreciation. Therefore, what would a fair price be for this car?

Along the same lines is this car worth it any any price? Vs going new. There are a few 2018's still out there, with the 19's starting to come. The lowest I would go is Gt1 so as long as it had all the safety stuff like blind spot (we tried to make a deal on a 900 mile 'new' Gt1 (white w red) but didn't have the safety stuff (luckily the deal didn't happen). I don't see incentives for the Stinger like all the posts on this site mention (I'm going to KIA usa site).

In any case, all thoughts appreciated!

2. Ruturaj

Ruturaj India Active Member

Looks like you are doing something wrong if you are not seeuse incentives.

Go to kia.com
    Select build
    Stinger
    Trim
    Calculate payments
    Lease

You should see it. The good way is to lease (if balloon financing not avilable) then buyout with different loan.

3. anselgator

****I do this....but it just shows me a lease payment....there are no 'incentives'. I'm attaching a screen shot

Attached Files:

4. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Click on calculate payments.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ruturaj

What he said.

6. jmf_tracy

jmf_tracy United States Member

you could probably get a MY 2018 GT new from the dealer for about the same price.
    MY 2019 are hitting the dealers now and 2019 has more features than 2018 so they have to discount the 2018. go to the dealer toward the end of the month when they are concerned about their numbers and play hardball, also it is the end of the year so they will really want to deal on MY 2018 cars.

7. Ruturaj

Nah, with lease buyout he can get new gt2 at lower price than that.

8. jmf_tracy

jmf_tracy United States Member

yeah, agreed

9. Doel

Doel United States Active Member

it depends, is that the out the door price or the selling price? If it's the OTD price I doubt he'll find a GT2 cheaper, but it'll be close in price, close enough I would try for a new one first.

10. anselgator

Hey guys...man this site has already taught me a lot. I'm starting to feel this pre owned G2 isn't that great of a deal. UNLESS....I can get it for 35K (Anyone agree/disagree)? My thought is to hold steady, and if there by end of Nov, then I'll try. In the meantime, I've been reading about the lease then buy option. So my first question on this is (as I don't i don't think you can negotiate the money factor as its part of the 'MF + cash back deal')......is can you negotiate the price? So if a Gt2 RWD is $50,500 MSRP.......do I negotiate a few grand off, then say oh, btw there is 6300 cash back? Better way? I've only leased twice....I'm pretty good w negotiations and finance....but only after I have facts. So trying to learn. Reason I ask is up above someone said you can get a Gt2 for about same price as that used one.

11. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

I'm going to visit with a dealer on Wednesday to see about changing from my GT1 rwd to GT2 awd (2018 models).... lease rebates and discounts (6300 in discounts 9000 lease rebate) would leave me 3K to play with the end up with the same payment... based on the numbers from my deal in May. As long as they don't want to be dicks about the value of an almost new car then it might work. Either way I have an awesome car!

12. Audible Silence

Audible Silence United States Active Member

I've seen a few used cars selling for close to new car prices, or more. Although I know dealers advertise cars with every incentive imaginable. Seen GT2s for $39-41. And used gt1s for $40 or GT2s for $43 hiding behind that original MSRP price

• Like Like x 1
  13. Doel

what the dealership is going to try to do is try to get you to agree to a monthly price "what can you pay every month?" is a common question. If you do your homework, you'll know exactly what you're going to pay at x price for car and what you can afford. The absolute best thing you can do is walk in and say "I want this car at x price before tax/fees/rebates, I know what rebates I qualify for". They'll go back and forth and eventually you'll get their "Best" price. They don't care what rebates you use or if you buy or lease, it's all the same to them profit wise. Right now I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 10% off dealer discount and you may be able to get them to knock off even more.

There are extra fees associated with the lease buyout, typically you're going to pay an extra thousand or so after buying it so the $7,700 rebate is more a $6,700 rebate. The MF doesn't make a difference when you do this either, the only thing that matters is that dealer discount.

BTW I also came from a 2016 Maxima, the Stinger is on a whole other level.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. anselgator

Hey Doel. First, love the car on your profile pic. The white is the one I like...so sharp looking. I have a Maxima SR......coming from a 2002 BMW 325, the Max was faster and had so many tech features....but 0 handling. The Stinger just seems to tick a lot of boxes...I love it....wife coming around to it....I live in an area where 'Kia's' aren't the norm. Also, for background, my Maxima was a 41K car, and I got a lease for $389...12k for 3 years, 0 down...so that's my baseline...which might have jaded me (too good of a deal). Anyway.........for the negotiation....if the car is 51K, do I say 'I want the car for 45 (and pretend to buying it).......then they say yes, then I say awesome, now give me the additional $7700 off due to lease? Meanwhile, if i plug in the money factor (it equates to around 4.5%) and even 45K for the car, the monthly payments are around 655....way higher than the Maxima but only 4k more. Any insight is appreciated! I'm ready to get my Stinger!

15. Doel

yeah Nissan has good lease rates for sure, not sure why Stinger MF is so high but it's to the point where I wouldn't even bother leasing one. If you're doing the lease buyout, you'll be buying that car outright after the first payment so the MF doesn't matter, you aren't paying the sum of the lease payments.

You can tell them you're planning on leasing it, or don't, it doesn't really matter. If they sell it for 45k without a rebate or for 39k with a rebate, they're making the same amount of money. They're going to ask you "what price will get you to buy today?" and if the car is 51k, I would give them a pretty low number, 43.5k maybe before rebates and see how close they get. Be prepared to walk and try to get their price in writing, or at least take a photo of the offer. I had to cross shop 20 dealerships in early October to get just 10% off my GT1, but I think deals may be a bit better now.

For me personally, the 3k conquest rebate plus 0% financing was cheaper than doing the lease buy out, but I had to finance most of the car. I've never had any interest in white cars, but when I saw this one it was just beautiful, the dark chrome looks amazing with the white and the red interior sealed the deal.

• Like Like x 1
  16. anselgator

Red interior is our favorite...but white w Red on a 2018...good luck!!! Our perfect combo is charcoal gray and red, but even more 'good luck'. Lot of black and red though in my area.

17. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

I don't think that car will move until they put a sticker on it below $39K; the miles, you see.

Here's a deal, RWD, brand new GT1; just posted today by one of our newest members: Good - Jerry Seiner of South Jordan Utah So you see that much better deals are out there. If the car had really low miles then I think that is not a bad price at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted