1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Is anyone running the Unichip plug and play Tune ?

Discussion in 'Stingers Down Under' started by D-C, Jul 18, 2018.

1. D-C

D-C Australia Active Member

Is anyone running the Unichip plug and play Tune ?

I'm tossing up purchasing a JB4 or going with the locally made and supported Unichip ?

I was speaking with Unichip yesterday for the second time, They are currently making revisions to their aftermarket exhaust larger resonators from memory, sounds like the first exhaust had a bit of in cabin drone. They are also testing a set of Dump pipes to go with their kit.

Tune and Exhaust is pushing well over the 300rwkw mark which is impressive.

Would love to hear from anyone else that has used them, they claim to have sold more than 30 plug and play tunes locally.

2. Brent

Brent Australia New Member

Yes I'd love to hear, also been looking at this

• Like Like x 1
  3. D-C

Brent maybe we could hit them up with a group buy discount if we get a few members together :):)

Plus they warranty their work so if KIA gives us peace of mind if we have any trouble

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  4. sticks

sticks Australia Member

I am very interested in the unichip but I am waiting for the xforce bi modal exhaust with Bluetooth control & matrix mode which is on its way from china at the moment(4weeks) to have it installed before I get the unichip.As you know with the unichip plug system it only takes a minute to disconnect and return to normal before going in for a service. look at unichip video on the stinger setup.

5. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Doesn't Unichip want to tune their chip to your car increasing its plug and play costs?
    Can anyone confirm?

6. D-C

Matrix mode ? Sounds cool what’s that ?
    The unichip Exhaust has bi modal mode that works of the controller you use to change tune maps.
    I’m thinking of purchasing there package (plug and play tune, exhaust and dump pipes).

If not I will probably purchase an eftermaeket exhaust and JB4 which I have on my BMW 335i.

7. D-C

Yes your quite right they Dyno tune the car before and after which is more costly than a JB4 but your getting more power than the other plug and plays (500hp) and they claim none of the spark plug problem we are seeing with the other vendors + you get their warranty if anything does happen so it’s worth it in my opinion for the peace of mind.

8. sticks

sticks Australia Member

Plus with unichip you can have up to 5 difference setting one for 91 then 95 then 98 then race cost about $2200 not bad for about an extra 82kw at the back wheels not to mention the extra torque. matrix setting you plug a connection from your Bluetooth box into the ocd2 connection on the car so it will automatically open the exhaust when you gun it. read about it on the xforce site.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

I'm interested but at the same time i have concerns about potential damage that could void Kia warranty. The warranty issued by BMS Tuning is only applicable to the unit and specifically excludes any damage caused by it's use. Here are the T&C's>>>> JB4 Terms and Conditions - Kia Stinger dot com

10. D-C

ShannnonC I was referring to the the local Unichip who have their own warranty in place if KIA voids the warranty, hence the additional cost. BMS is a totally different kettle of fish

11. ShannonC

Thanks for clarifying.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

I asked this same question on another thread I started, looking at your location @ShannonC check out Castle Hill Exhaust & Performance they are agents for the Unichip & these guys know their stuff. Did my VZ SS a few years ago now but a first class job.

13. ShannonC

Thanks Stinger GT SS, I'd already been to see MRC Dyno in Castle Hill (Mark) who talked me through the process including where the unit would be located. He was adamant it could be easily disconnected prior to Kia servicing and that no trace of it having been there would show up in diagnostics. As for warranty, the product carries 2 years and he was offering 30 day money back if I wasn't completely satisfied. Was quoted $1,990. I'm still undecided and asking myself what I would do with that increased power.

14. D-C

Hi ShannonC

Did he quote expected power gains ? and do you know if a dyno tune was part of the process ?

Cheers

Dyll

15. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

I’ve not been too or heard of MRC Dyno, I reference Castle Hill Exhaust & Preformance (Dave) would be interested if they have developed an exhaust to match.

16. ShannonC

He quoted results from Unichip website>>
    Power Results:
    Standard: 220 Rear wheel kw at 5500rpm
    Unichip: 282.1 Rear wheel kw at 5500rpm.
    An amazing 75 rwkw increase at 5200rpm
    Torque Results:
    With Impressive torque improvements as well, increase in torque of 100nm at 2600rpm!
    Standard: 420nm at the wheels.
    Unichip: 525nm at the wheels.

The cost includes two dyno runs so its a before and after.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ShannonC

Unichip website features an exhaust "tune" which is claimed to give further increase but I don't think they have their own system.

PPKIA03.0 KIA Stinger GT - 2018

18. D-C

Sounds Good ShannonC

I spoke with Paul from Unichip earlier in the week and he quoted with their exhaust and chip I would see my car achieve between 300 and 310rwkw.

Impressive gains

• Like Like x 1
  19. basysmith

basysmith Australia Active Member

How'd you guys go? I just picked up a Stinger and was looking at JB4 and HPF.. but now interested in Unichip which is kinda of a mix of a JB4 with HPF as you get it tuned to the car on the dyno. I would rather spend less and put more into an exhaust though.. not really wanting a track car. I mainly want to unlock it's potential a little more and possibly improve fuel economy, especially when it dips rich higher in the rev range.

Any JB4 recommendations vs Unichip?

Is there a good Aussie exhaust thread too somewhere?

20. D-C

I explored all options and went with the JB4 as it has more features, power and continuous development with software updates.

The HPF is a flash tune to the cars computer so it’s not like the JB4 or Unichip which is a plug and play tuner and is removable whith no trace that it was ever installed. A flash tune leaves a record on the cars computer which may void your warranty.

Hope that helps

Draft saved Draft deleted