Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Interior materials - help plz

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by MTRkazoh, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

1. MTRkazoh

MTRkazoh Canada Newish Member

I'm looking to clean the interior of my Stinger but I'm a bit concerned about using the wrong products on each surface. I know the seats center arm rest and some of the door area are leather, so leather cleaner there but what about the dashboard area, it looks like faux stitching and it feels soft. Is this some sort of soft plastic or another material? On my old cars, the dash is usually a harder plastic and I used plastic cleaners on it. Also the Steering wheel is leather and rubber I believe (upper leather, side grips rubber?). The back of the seats seem to be a hard plastic which is good since the kids kick the back seat while strapped into the car seats, so that's easy to clean.

Any help on these areas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Stinger Enthusiast

While this might not be the perfect answer, I've typically used a leather cleaner on any surface I think is leather which includes armrests, door panels covered in leather, even the sides of seats which are normally a faux leather and not real. Anything else except glass is usually cleaned with an all-purpose interior cleaner. I've never seen any unusual wear or damage using this method on numerous cars I have owned over the years. If anything, using a leather cleaner on a non-leather surface might cause it to clean less well, or you're just wasting a more expensive cleaner, but not causing damage.

For the dash, I would use an all purpose cleaner. I'm quite certain it's not leather, it feels more rubbery.

I did notice the aluminum trim on the center console scratches very easily, so I asked our local high end detailer what they suggest, they said they normally get as much off as possible with compressed air, then use a cleaner as a lubricant and as little friction with a MF towel as necessary to clean it.

I never use that shiny dash Armor All junk, matte is where it's at.

3. funesto

funesto United States Newish Member

FWIW, I used Chemical Guys Leather Quick Detailer using a similar thought process to the post above... If it looked leather-ish, I used it :laugh: I also used the CG Leather Protectant Serum.

I have an "all-purpose" interior quick detailer from Chemical Guys as well, which I used on all other surfaces. With microfiber applicators and cloths, of course.

I guess I will keep an eye on this thread to see if I need to change my methods, haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I should note based on some owners' experience with the leather, I strongly recommend applying a good quality leather conditioner (I use a cream) to the outside bolsters of the seats, at least the driver one, frequently. To date I only have noticed a couple lines of wear on the bolster and I think that's just because I have the bolsters set as tight as they go, so they're tightening and loosening numerous times per day as I start and stop the car. It won't hurt anything other than your wallet and time to do this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. BertBert2019GT

BertBert2019GT United States Active Member

I use AMMO NYC products. I couldn’t be happier with the results. I gave all my Maguires and Chemical Guys stuff to my gf. The AMMO NYC products smells like a new car after—no fragrances. And the owner has videos of pretty much anything your trying to accomplish cleaning/detail related on youtube

AMMO NYC Lather for:
    - dash pad
    - plastics

AMMO NYC Shag for:
    - Carpet
    - Rubber mats
    - Headliner

AMMO NYC Mousse for:
    - Leather
    - Dash pad (after Lather is used for cleaning)

AMMO Interior Regimen Kit | AMMO AUTO CARE INC.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MTRkazoh

MTRkazoh Canada Newish Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. I know of AMMO products and watch the videos daily but the shipping cost to Canada + duties + conversion is just atrocious right now. I don't know any other way to get the products other than to ship from the States which sucks for me.

My two main concerns were the dash material which everyone seems to think is not leather so a general cleaner should be fine. The other concern was the Napa leather. I was told newer model cars have a Urethane (spelling?) coating on the leather and conditioners don't penetrate. I'm currently using Sonax Foam Leather and conditioner. It's an amazing cleaner and it's made for perforated seats. How much that actually conditions is questionable.

7. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted