Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Interesting Conversation at Dealer about brake issues

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by itguy61, Mar 26, 2020.

1. itguy61

itguy61 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I just got home from having a service done. The service writer asked me about my brakes and I said I was not having issues. She stated that if I was that they would cover it and had a new pad they were using. Sounds like the European spec pad. I asked her what about me being outside the 12k12 month warranty and she said they would still cover it. I am not having issues since I went to aftermarket pads.

I found this interesting, I guess Kia is finally admitting they have had a design issue and they should take care of it.

Tim

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Stinger Enthusiast

I’ve been using aftermarket pads and rotors for a while now. Ive still got the OE rotors and pads. Maybe I should just put them in go get them replaced. Lol

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

US pads on the Stinger are not a "design issue" so much as a potential issue. Most vehicles are fine with the OE pads. But those that are not, a significant number or this would not be on offer (in my humble opinion), are getting a pad that better suits their driving styles. That's what this looks like to me.:thumbup:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. itguy61

The service manager at my dealership would not agree with you nor would I. He stated that he estimates at least half the cars they have sold have had issues, some multiple times. That high of an issue is definitely a design issue as a sizable portion of the cars with these pads need service. The pads were designed with too soft of a compound. I know you have not had the issue but that does not mean it is not an issue or just a small issue. You may be so gentle on the braking that you are not at risk for this.

There was a young man that pulled in the same time I did and he was getting his 5K service on his 19 model and he told me he has already had the issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Justin B

Justin B Australia Newish Member

Not sure if we have the same pads in Australia, but, I'm at 3000kms / 2 Months & am getting noticeable shudder under braking already. Started about 1000kms ago. '19 model. Will be seeing the service centre next week....

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

We'll have to assume this is the case: in spite of quite a few others on here saying that they "baby" their brakes, coast a lot before applying the brake at the end: which is how I'd describe my driving/braking style. My daughter thinks that she is easy on her brakes, but the one time that I rode with her I was aghast at how much she rode the brake pedal as she tailgated the vehicle in front. Quite a few people do that, I think; which amounts to using both feet, one to GO and the other to be ready to slam on the brakes if necessary; and, the way they drive, it is necessary a lot; and they don't even realize what they are doing to cause a pad deposits problem: the rotors are always heated up (and their crappy gas mileage has an explanation too).

7. G70 Owner

G70 Owner United States Member

You guys dont have a TSB out for them yet? G70 and Stinger share brakes and Genesis has put out a TSB saying to resurface them and if that doesnt fix or if it comes back to replace with Euro spec pads. Hope Kia treats you all right!

• Like Like x 3
  8. G70 Owner

G70 Owner United States Member

Here’s the Genesis one

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. itguy61

Must be something out, Moritz Kia offered this up without me saying anything. Kia should fix this because the failure rate is way too high to be within normal failure rates on brakes, Naysayers be damned.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted