kia stinger store

Intake Question from a KIA NEWB

From1LEtoSTINGERGT1

Newish Member
Ashburn, VA
Hi I just picked up my Stinger GT, and was wondering how KIA seems to handle mods, I am only really interested in intake and exhaust really, maybe a few other bolt ons herte or there, but no reprogramming the ECU or major engine work or anything crazy

How do they react warranty wise with intake and exhaust? Ws thinking about going with the Injen intake in red, looks good to my eyes....but what are you guy's running out there for intakes and exhausts

again, I am just looking for them not to void the warranty on the close to 50k vehicle I just bought

Thanks in advance guys!

JamesNoBrakes

North
An ECU'd turbo car is not going to do anything by replacing the intake, except make more noise. Are you just asking because you want it to be louder and hear the turbo?

Typically, putting on a bolt-on can invalidate your warranty, there's no set rule here. If the manufacturer can show or reasonably prove that the modification caused damage/malfunction, whatever it affected will not be warrantied. It's not automatic that a modification invalidates your warranty, but anything you are warrantying has to be unrelated to the modification.

JamesNoBrakes

North
I think adding a high quality intake and exhaust do a little more than make more noise, regardless of it's a turbo car or not....and of course I want it to sound better as well
No, they don't, because the ECU controls the engine and output. Turbo engines especially do not just "make more power" when you add an intake. That's old 1950s stuff where the engines were not controlled by computers and with turbo engines, you have so many tubing restrictions and corners (intercooler) for the air that the intake is insignificant, it's the fact that the engine is getting pressurized air, not some mythical "high flow" intake that makes the engine work. Even with N/A engines, you do intake, headers, exhaust, and you get a tune. If you don't get a tune, it's all jacked up due to the ECU, not making more power and throwing codes. If you want any more power with N/A, you usually have to go to cams and get seriously into the engine. That's the nice thing about turbo cars, they are generally easier to get some serious gains, usually by downpipe, exhaust and tune, no need to get into the engine. Exhaust headers can be a major PITA for the N/A engines as well, the turbo-back section of a turbo car is generally shorter/simpler.

People dyno these things and when there's a 2% gain they are quick to say it's because of the intake, but the margin of error/noise between runs is greater than this, so it's just all BS. K&N and other "intakes" bypass the factory intake silencing and they allow the turbo or intake manifold to "leak out" more noise. Most people that buy these think more noise=more power.

If you want to go to a tune, having an aftermarket downpipe and turbo-back exhaust is a great starting point usually, it's usually the first thing to do so that the tune can tell the turbo to make more pressure and the system can handle the increased flow. The stock intake will usually handle this just fine until you are dramatically increasing flow, such as with a larger turbo.

Last edited:

From1LEtoSTINGERGT1

Newish Member
Ashburn, VA
I think you are missing the main part of my post, it's in regards to how Kia reacts to aftermarket parts not having a debate on turbo's use of air filters

has anyone had an issue with a dealer in regard to a cold air intake or a cat back exhaust and warranties?

AGAIN NOT ASKING FOR A LESSON IN INTAKES

SIMONGUEY

Sustaining Member +
hayward ca
I just remove everything before heading to the dealership tbh. I rather uninstall and then reinstall than having to go thru any troubles like that.

ChaneRZ

1000 Posts Club!
Bay Area, California
I removed my intake when I brought it for recall. Didn’t remove my exhaust though.

JamesNoBrakes

North
I think you are missing the main part of my post, it's in regards to how Kia reacts to aftermarket parts not having a debate on turbo's use of air filters

has anyone had an issue with a dealer in regard to a cold air intake or a cat back exhaust and warranties?

AGAIN NOT ASKING FOR A LESSON IN INTAKES
Then you are asking for a lesson how to use the search function?

Yes, dealers have denied warranty for having an intake and other similar stuff. Other dealers have not. It only matters what your dealer does. Not sure how anyone can help you here. I found several results in the search.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
I had my transmission and drive shaft replaced with all of my mods (check signature) on the car and they didn't give me any trouble. The service advisor asked if it was tuned, but that was it. Intake and exhaust will not cause you any problems. Not sure why you're getting lectured on what intakes do :laugh:

Schroedes

I haven't seen many, or very few examples, on this forum, of anyone getting their warranty dropped over mods. I'm curious if this is because most dealers don't care, or if there aren't many major warranty claims on these cars. I would think with all the members here etc etc, that we would hear about it more..

K8 Stinger Store

Authorized Vendor

General_Vodka

1000 Posts Club!
Moon
depends on the dealer. Mine knows I have a modded out car and they will perform work on it, as long as I pay. I am the warranty. As for you, if you go in for warranty work make sure that you know how they feel about mods.

ChaneRZ

1000 Posts Club!
Bay Area, California
Wasn’t there a member here where he took his car for service and he thought the dealer was cool about his mods. Ending up KIA voided his warranty.

Schroedes

I wonder how many stinger owners with mods,from bolt ons to full tuned out specs, have had serious problems requiring warranty work? Never seem to see it, I don't think that magnuson act would hold much weight against a large corporation like Kia.. main thing holding me back from the jb4..

Stiletto

Sustaining Member +
Virginia Beach, VA
No, they don't, because the ECU controls the engine and output. Turbo engines especially do not just "make more power" when you add an intake. That's old 1950s stuff where the engines were not controlled by computers and with turbo engines, you have so many tubing restrictions and corners (intercooler) for the air that the intake is insignificant, it's the fact that the engine is getting pressurized air, not some mythical "high flow" intake that makes the engine work. Even with N/A engines, you do intake, headers, exhaust, and you get a tune. If you don't get a tune, it's all jacked up due to the ECU, not making more power and throwing codes. If you want any more power with N/A, you usually have to go to cams and get seriously into the engine. That's the nice thing about turbo cars, they are generally easier to get some serious gains, usually by downpipe, exhaust and tune, no need to get into the engine. Exhaust headers can be a major PITA for the N/A engines as well, the turbo-back section of a turbo car is generally shorter/simpler.

People dyno these things and when there's a 2% gain they are quick to say it's because of the intake, but the margin of error/noise between runs is greater than this, so it's just all BS. K&N and other "intakes" bypass the factory intake silencing and they allow the turbo or intake manifold to "leak out" more noise. Most people that buy these think more noise=more power.

If you want to go to a tune, having an aftermarket downpipe and turbo-back exhaust is a great starting point usually, it's usually the first thing to do so that the tune can tell the turbo to make more pressure and the system can handle the increased flow. The stock intake will usually handle this just fine until you are dramatically increasing flow, such as with a larger turbo.
Then how do you explain a dyno proven gain of 6 wtq for secondary pipes on factory ECU? PLEASE don't say dyno variation, because I'm pretty sure I've seen enough pulls in my life (100+) to know what that looks like.

Schroedes

Also is there any truth to turbos being able to spool up faster with downpipes and cat back with stock ECU?

hummus

Welcome to the community and congrats on the new ride. You made a great choice, and considering how small the owner population is, you will have a pretty healthy selection of performance and cosmetic mods.

As others have mentioned, no one can really tell you for sure whether any claims you make using your warranty would be affected by an intake or other performance modification. It seems there is some discretion on the part of the dealer, and within the dealer, maybe some judgement calls by the technician, manager, and maybe even service advisor.

All anyone can tell you is their personal experience. Even if all of these were right on point--and if we're honest, many times they will be only one side of the story--putting them all together doesn't necessarily describe the situation in absolute terms.

The consensus safest bet is, return to stock before you go in for service. Even then, there is no guarantee that a very astute technician will not notice slight changes and telltale scuffs in fasteners, screw heads, hoses, and when things aren't lining up with the the air brushed markings they seem to apply in spots under the hood after everything was originally assembled.

Last edited:

From1LEtoSTINGERGT1

Newish Member
Ashburn, VA
Then you are asking for a lesson how to use the search function?

Yes, dealers have denied warranty for having an intake and other similar stuff. Other dealers have not. It only matters what your dealer does. Not sure how anyone can help you here. I found several results in the search.
I think you are missing the main point on a whole lot with your retort, way to be a complete pr!ck...I joined a forum for owners of Stingers and asked other owners about intakes.....I have owned everything and anything you can name with mods and no mods I was simply asking a question to other stinger owners, and you give me the whole "use google"

you used this as a time to pontificate about your knowledge on turbos and intakes...

save some women for the rest of us....

JamesNoBrakes

North
I think you are missing the main point on a whole lot with your retort, way to be a complete pr!ck...I joined a forum for owners of Stingers and asked other owners about intakes.....I have owned everything and anything you can name with mods and no mods I was simply asking a question to other stinger owners, and you give me the whole "use google"

you used this as a time to pontificate about your knowledge on turbos and intakes...

save some women for the rest of us....
No, not google, the search feature on this site in the upper right hand corner. Tons of information on warranties with mods.