kia stinger store

Intake dyno comparison: Stillen vs Injen

Stiletto

Sustaining Member +
Virginia Beach, VA
I've had the Injen on the car for a few weeks, but got around to putting her on the rollers. I felt the power and response difference, but I (and most of you) want empirical evidence. This is NOT a knock against the Stillen intake nor the Injen. They are totally different designs, and thus produce different results.

Stillen intake (red line w/ mods below) decent torque bump, modest whp gain. I suspect intake only (no other mods) would net more whp than torque.
(blue line is OEM intake w/ JB4 EWG/Fuel wires, Map 2, 93 Exxon gas, Ark secondary pipes, Stillen catback, JT merge pipe, GFB Mach 2 BPVs, Denso 5347 plugs)

550545_585603.jpeg

Injen intake (exact same mods as above)

511442_659170.png

So, I traded torque for horsepower. I do have logs from this run, which I'll have BMS take a look at. But, everything looks fine from what I can see.

ChaneRZ

Stinger Enthusiast
Great comparison!

narsnail

London, ON
Nice to see some real world results, thanks for doing this!

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
Based off those numbers (assuming they're valid), I guess if you do a lot of off-the-line runs, up to 40-50, then you want Stillen for the low-rpm torque to get you going. If you spend a lot of time in the top rpm range (1/4 mile or top speed runs), Injen is better? I.e. Stillen for the street, Injen for the track?

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
They're valid for my car. Every engine is different and results always vary (although not by much).

Sure, not disputing that. I just wanted to point out that I was not trying to dig into possible sources of error with the dyno run itself, just looking at the results. I could have maybe worded it better :)

Travis Wills

Stinger Enthusiast
I've had the Injen on the car for a few weeks, but got around to putting her on the rollers. I felt the power and response difference, but I (and most of you) want empirical evidence. This is NOT a knock against the Stillen intake nor the Injen. They are totally different designs, and thus produce different results.

Stillen intake (red line w/ mods below) decent torque bump, modest whp gain. I suspect intake only (no other mods) would net more whp than torque.
(blue line is OEM intake w/ JB4 EWG/Fuel wires, Map 2, 93 Exxon gas, Ark secondary pipes, Stillen catback, JT merge pipe, GFB Mach 2 BPVs, Denso 5347 plugs)

550545_585603.jpeg

Injen intake (exact same mods as above)

511442_659170.png

So, I traded torque for horsepower. I do have logs from this run, which I'll have BMS take a look at. But, everything looks fine from what I can see.
That is some good info. Really unusual to see nearly square hp and torque like that. The Stinger is typically torque heavy.

Could you post the logs or a screenshot of the logs with one point highlighted. Just curious what timing and temps looked like for all of the runs.

So I guess you stuck with the Injen intakes?

Seems as a RWD car already struggling for traction the Injen may serve me better.

StingertimeNC

NC
Seems as a RWD car already struggling for traction the Injen may serve me better.
Depends on if you plan to do WMI. If you do Jb4, map 2, 93 octane, the car remains very drivable in my opinion. Winter months and cooler temps of course cause issues with summer tires, but otherwise ok. Map 7 with water/meth is a whole different beast when it comes to traction. From about 35mph and up it's a beast, just have to watch it down low.

In all honesty though, just go with what you like the best. every car is different anyway.

Stiletto

Sustaining Member +
Virginia Beach, VA
That is some good info. Really unusual to see nearly square hp and torque like that. The Stinger is typically torque heavy.

Could you post the logs or a screenshot of the logs with one point highlighted. Just curious what timing and temps looked like for all of the runs.

So I guess you stuck with the Injen intakes?
I linked one data log in my original post, and here's the other.

Oh, the Stillen intake has been sold, and there's no way I'd go back. Honestly, I don't feel the torque difference, but I definitely notice the a acceleration increase at higher rpms and speed (40 mph to 70 is crazy fast).

Travis Wills

Stinger Enthusiast
I linked one data log in my original post, and here's the other.

Oh, the Stillen intake has been sold, and there's no way I'd go back. Honestly, I don't feel the torque difference, but I definitely notice the a acceleration increase at higher rpms and speed (40 mph to 70 is crazy fast).
Thanks for posting all of this. Lots of great information there. IATs were BRUTAL there. Also looks like significant timing was being pulled. Was this with hood open and fans blowing? Stock intercooler?
High IAT.jpg

ChaneRZ

Stinger Enthusiast
Not happy with those timing corrections.

Travis Wills

Stinger Enthusiast
Yep, OEM heat exchanger...but not for long.

Hood up, fan blowing on the IC.

View attachment 58724
That picture is worth a 1,000 words. I see you have aftermarket snorkels. We’re those in place for all runs? Just curious if the aftermarket snorkels were in place for the run with the “stock intake”.

They probably don’t help at all on the dyno especially if the fan isn’t blowing directly in them. However, it is also possible that they simply don’t help at all with some of the aftermarket open air designs.

An aftermarket intercooler will help but not as much if the car isn’t moving and it is hot inside. Those intercoolers only work with convection w requires moving air.

I have learned a few tricks for cooling during my track visits.

1. Spray nearly freezing water on the intercooler and then use fans to evaporate the water off the intercooler. This can cool the intercooler below ambient temperature and really help keep the timing in check.

2. Place ice packs or even bags of ice on the intake manifold in between runs. Just bring a big cooler with all of the ice, ice packs, and ice water with you.

3. Place small fans facing down towards the turbos in between runs. Cooling those turbos off even when the car is off really helps keep temperatures in check.

4. If you have an open air intake use fans to blow air from outside of the engine bay directly on the intake air filters. The snorkels do this in real life when the car is actually moving. On the dyno you have to artificially do this.

5. If you can easily take the air filters off in between runs then place them in the cooler in between runs. You can cover them if moisture would be a problem. This probably doesn’t help much but any little thing to keep temps down will help. With the stock intakes it is really easy to swap them out.

Stiletto

Sustaining Member +
Virginia Beach, VA
@Travis Wills The VT big mouth were my third mod...way before the Stillen intake. I had them on my Focus RS. The engineering behind them shows benefits at higher speeds, like freeway. So, yeah, not much value for stationary dyno.

I think I've tried all those tricks...and more over the years doing drag racing and autocross.

If this were about max power, I would've done several things to get there. But, I'm just trying to compare two products... For myself and the community.

Now, if I can just get @Terry@BMS to look at my logs over on N54Tech, it may help in understanding if the car was pulling timing for a particular reason.