1. The Kia Stinger Owners Group is a private community. Please login or register to unlock the full content.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Infotainment System

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Bamm1, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Bamm1

Bamm1 Active Member Founding Member

2. Thanks for the article. I was hoping to learn more about the system, as I have been non-touch screen for since 2012. The Audi and BMW systems have spoiled me...as it's a lot easier to keep the screen free of finger prints, and the text recognition is spot on 99% of time for me for data entry. The lack of 4G is a bummer :(

I am also curious to learn more about the heads-up display, I couldn't find much info on the one in the new Cadenza, which is likely to be the same in the Stinger.

You can also find more info here: http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/technology/uvo/introducing-uvo

3. Not only that but likely also very similar or identical to the HUD in the Genesis products. As an example, here's what it shows in the Owner's Manual for the Cadenza and Genesis, respectively:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say, there's a tiny bit of similarity there :)

So a video of the Genesis like the one below of should give you a good idea of how it will look in the Stinger as well.

carlosfernandez and Brian Keenan like this.
  4. app_master

app_master Active Member Founding Member

Cool topic. I can't wait to get intimate with the Stinger's version.
    We currently have a hire car while our current car is in for smash repairs, a brand new Kia Cerato, with the 7" infotainment system and it's quite good to use; easy, intuitive, no nonsense, fairly lag free. PS the general quality of this base model Kia is really impressive too.

5. Good to see some real world experience with the infotainment system. 2.5 questions if you do not mind?

1. Does the heads-up display show the name of the person calling you and/or number of the person calling you?
    2. Are you using an iOS or Android device?
    2.5 What are your thoughts on the integration with Car Play or Android Auto?

6. Bamm1

There has been some speculation that "updates" may be made to the system as part of Kia's regular life cycle changes to their infotainment system. So there could be a higher res screen, faster processor, additional features (I believe Alexa can start some of the Hyundai / Genesis products), etc.

7. hej

hej Active Member Founding Member

What speculation are you referring to? And are you suggesting that Kia might roll out software updates throughout the lifecycle of this generation of car, or that future model years of the car will have upgraded hardware?

8. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger Administrator Staff Member

Software, firmware... I think that's what he means...

9. Bamm1

At the Autoshow I attended there was a group surrounding the Kia rep near the rotating stage the Stinger was on (this was during one of the 6 or 7 times I returned to see the car). Someone asked if the Stinger would have the same infotainment system as the 2017 Cadenza. She said that those items had not been finalized yet and it was one of the reasons we could not sit in the car. She said it was possible for "tweaks" to be made since the launch was not until the end of year. She specifically mentioned Android Auto 2.0. I asked if that could mean modified hardware or software. She said maybe but that "maybe" also means it could end up being the exact same system.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    lostnspace, hej and seanmccubb like this.
  10. This is tough part of buying cars if you're a technophile....you can't easily upgrade to the latest and greatest. I have a sneaking feeling that Kia will have 4G/Wifi capabilities in their next infotainment systems, and upgrading will not be cheap or an option.

11. app_master

1. No HUD in a Cerato (Forte?)
    2. Android auto
    3. Seamless, as expected, connect by usb only. I hope Stinger has ability for a wireless AA connection... it should, once you place your phone on the charging pad.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    lostnspace likes this.
  12. carlosfernandez

carlosfernandez New Member

I love the HUD as its like the Genesis

Larry Denen likes this.
  13. ballistic

ballistic Member Founding Member

i'm sure they can build it into the current system so that when they're ready they can deploy it through an ota firmware upgrade. but then again they might just want to use that as an excuse to make you buy the newer car.

yes, that's one of my favorite features with this car. i have a feeling it's going to be real easy to go fast in this car so it will be great to see your mph without taking your eyes off the road.

carlosfernandez likes this.
  14. There are not a lot of car makers offering wireless AA right now (seems BMW is only offering in their new 7 Series), so if Kia offers it, it'll definitely be on of the very first.

http://mashable.com/2017/02/24/apple-carplay-expanding-wireless-access/#oUjbLOe39iqV

seanmccubb likes this.
  15. I look forward to hearing more about some of the safety features on the Stinger. I hope it keeps options like advanced smart cruise control and the surround view monitoring systems.

16. Larry Denen

Larry Denen Member Founding Member

You just gave me a good idea for a new conversation.

17. app_master

Some close up images here... imagegallery-49474-58f4a6f4900c2.jpg

imagegallery-49474-58f4a6f5e0670.jpg imagegallery-49474-58f4a6f5aa2f9.jpg

18. Jenny Wang

Jenny Wang Member Founding Member

I hate to keep harping on this but why the huge bezel surrounding the screen? Could there be a reason for it or is it an oversight? I can't imagine a design team allowing that to pass through in this day and age where people want bezel-less devices.

19. does anybody know if there will be something like the nissan gtr that shows stuff like boost and stuff like that? i think that would be pretty cool

seanmccubb likes this.