If the Stinger didn't exist, what would you have bought?

Mesmorino

I would have gotten the Honda Accord. It's roomier inside, and has their Honda Sensing suite as standard on all trim levels, and even comes in a manual.

I test drove both of them, but it wasn't ever really a contest. The Stinger won (and still wins) on looks, muscle and sheer attitude. It's just cooler. I don't think I would have been unhappy with the Accord, but every time I get into the Stinger I'm glad I chose it.

Evinarris

I wouldve got either the m2, m3 or the s3. I tested all four and couldnt justify the germans when the stinger had pure value for money in a very fast package

eflyguy

2500 Posts Club!
Georgia, USA
There are many threads on this topic, a very active one just recently.

I, for one, was about to buy a C43AMG when I found out the Stinger was coming, I think a year before it came to the US. I then waited for the 2nd model year because I would not buy without the 360º camera (I had been driving a CLS that had it..)

I had ruled out the M3/M4, Lexus RC-F, and Audis.

Oryan

M240i, Camaro or Challenger. Either Scat pack plus shaker, or T/A 392. If Infiniti acted like they gave a damn about the Q60 though, even with the Stinger around I may well be on an Infiniti forum now.

General_Vodka

Stinger Enthusiast
Moon
The q60 is nice, one of our cars is a 2014 g37x. If the stinger didn't come out I would have found a way to get the c8. Not a big fan of German, so no Audi, BMW or new supra.

There are many threads on this topic, a very active one just recently.

I, for one, was about to buy a C43AMG when I found out the Stinger was coming, I think a year before it came to the US. I then waited for the 2nd model year because I would not buy without the 360º camera (I had been driving a CLS that had it..)

I had ruled out the M3/M4, Lexus RC-F, and Audis.
My man! I was really close to buying a used 2017 C43 AMG, but the combination of faster car, better warranty, better price, and better financing made me choose the Stinger. I'm very happy with the car!

Mesmorino

These replies actually illustrate why most of you guys got the 3.3tt, you were all shopping for sports cars.

I was after a four door saloon with a hatchback, and there were pretty much none in my budget. I think the Buick/Vauxhall/Opel Insignia is literally the only one, but I preferred the Accord both inside and out. And then the Stinger came along.

Legendsk

Deep south Texas
I had a Ford pickup to pull my 5th wheel trailer. After I decided not to travel any more and just leave it in one spot, I began researching what daily driver was best for me. It took about 2 years but I finally settled on a Kia Soul (E!). It was everything I needed and the price, performance, and utility made it the best buy out there. I was vaguely aware of the Stinger, but for that much more money for things I didn't actually require, I didn't seriously consider one. But I thought about it for around a year, and decided if I croaked, someone will spend that money for things of which, I likely wouldn't approve. I might as well enjoy it myself. So after making a deal, on my way to the dealer to make the physical swap, I got a phone call from the Soul dealer, wishing me a happy anniversary because it was 1 year to the day that I had got the Soul.

The trade was a total waste. The Soul was a great car, entirely adequate. But the Stinger was still one of the best decisions of my life. I enjoy it so much, I go drive around just for the fun of it. Soooo glad I got a the Stinger I did - no regrets here. I absolutely wouldn't trade it for anything I am aware of. A 2020 Stinger with zero miles, even up? Nah, I like this one.

Mesmorino

I had a Ford pickup to pull my 5th wheel trailer. After I decided not to travel any more and just leave it in one spot, I began researching what daily driver was best for me. It took about 2 years but I finally settled on a Kia Soul (E!). It was everything I needed and the price, performance, and utility made it the best buy out there. I was vaguely aware of the Stinger, but for that much more money for things I didn't actually require, I didn't seriously consider one. But I thought about it for around a year, and decided if I croaked, someone will spend that money for things of which, I likely wouldn't approve. I might as well enjoy it myself. So after making a deal, on my way to the dealer to make the physical swap, I got a phone call from the Soul dealer, wishing me a happy anniversary because it was 1 year to the day that I had got the Soul.

The trade was a total waste. The Soul was a great car, entirely adequate. But the Stinger was still one of the best decisions of my life. I enjoy it so much, I go drive around just for the fun of it. Soooo glad I got a the Stinger I did - no regrets here. I absolutely wouldn't trade it for anything I am aware of. A 2020 Stinger with zero miles, even up? Nah, I like this one.
I know exactly what you mean, I have absolutely no intention of ever selling my Stinger. I'm going to drive it till the wheels fall off; and if I did decide to trade it in, it would be for another Stinger and even then it would only be if it had the particular features I want.

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Radio flyer.

Stiletto

Sustaining Member +
I was looking to get a roomier car than my Focus RS. The Charger Scat Pack was tempting, but it drove like a school bus. I briefly considered an STi, but it lacked that interior space I wanted/needed. The Chevy SS was also on my radar, but they stopped making them, and I wasn't keen on getting a used vehicle. I liked the ATS V, but again, interior space was not enough. The final runner up was a CTS V. I would've paid almost $20k more, and had a great car. Nevertheless, the Stinger GT2 was best in all categories.

MerlintheMad

10000 Posts Club!
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Same answer: nothing. I was resto-rodding my '94 Voyager when the Stinger came along. :laugh: The idea of buying a brand new performance car was practically the last thing on my mind. It was the combo that sold me: looks, practicality and fun (along with warranty and price point).

But, for the purposes of this question, I'll assume that I wanted a road trip car (not SUV or truck ferpetesakes) and actually started looking for one; instead of the other way around, where the Stinger caught my attention and held it for months, giving birth to the corollary of my taking road trips to support my wife in her jaunts by plane. Had I accepted that idea first, and then gone looking/shopping for a suitable car: hopefully (as the Stinger does not exist in this thread's parallel universe) I'd have run across the Chevy SS: the closest thing to a Stinger, both concept and production, that this parallel universe has seen in contemporary times. Doug Demuro gave the Chevy SS a final score of 65; only two points below the Stinger.
The single feature I'd miss greatly is the hatch; at least folding rear seats. A folding center panel just wouldn't cut it; no bike can be stuffed through that, for instance.

SafetyPilotCal

I'd still be driving my Corvette and Regal. I had no plans to buy a new car at all. I liked the mechanical underpinnings of a used Chevy SS, but it looks like a Malibu in a fat suit, so I passed. So if there was no Stinger, I would be much less in debt.

P22Tyler

Murray, Utah
Golf R or Mustang GT. I was really interested in both until I saw the Stinger at the auto show and took one for a drive.

Lynix

I had my heart set on a Camaro for years, was planning getting a fully loaded 2020 3LT RS. But I found out about the lease buyout trick with the stinger and realized that the cost was about the same for a GT2 as the Camaro. The Stinger has more features and technology, faster, and more practical. I still prefer the looks of the Camaro but the Stinger is still sexy. Definitely don't regret my decision.

Lawrence Williams

I was treating myself to a retirement gift and started out with the mid sized luxury sports sedan: Audi S7, model S and CTS-v....all new around 100k.....so these would all be CPO in the 60-75k range.....was driving an Optima at the time and then the Stinger was introduced.....the E400 coupe and Accra TLX crossed my mind also.

Did my research and then the Atlantica was announced ....so I waited to the 19MY and the rest is HISTORY!

Stinger GT SS

5000 Posts Club!
Sydney, NSW
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.