kia stinger store

How to install a Kirkey race seat

AWDGT2

Stinger Enthusiast
I finally got around to making the video. If you've considered a race seat, here is your excuse..

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
How much does this seat weight? Was looking at seat options. It will be 20-30 lbs seat for me. Still 60-65 lbs less than the stock pair. Also, from the video, looks like seat bracket will be super easy to fabricate.

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
Looks Good Darrin. I bet that seat weighs like 15 lbs at most.

I'm with OHCruiser, I'm going to go for something a bit larger and wider since I'm 6' 1" and 220 lbs. I do like theR333 from Sparco but it's 33 lbs. I also like the Sparco Chrono but it's also heavy at 31.5 lbs or so. But if it performs better and I can shave out 40 lbs or so (will do both driver and passenger, but then add in mounting brackets from Planted, as well as sliders) that will be decent.

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
Looks Good Darrin. I bet that seat weighs like 15 lbs at most.

I'm with OHCruiser, I'm going to go for something a bit larger and wider since I'm 6' 1" and 220 lbs. I do like theR333 from Sparco but it's 33 lbs. I also like the Sparco Chrono but it's also heavy at 31.5 lbs or so. But if it performs better and I can shave out 40 lbs or so (will do both driver and passenger, but then add in mounting brackets from Planted, as well as sliders) that will be decent.
How do you know r333 is 33lbs? It is showing 28lbs on sparco website. That seat is on top of my list. Good reviews, comfortable, and looks very cool. Also i don't know if i want to spend 400 on brackets. Looks like just a flat bars will do. I'll weld it myself for 30-40 in materials. Not going to use sliders. It will be fixed, since i am the only one driving the car.

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC

found this chart when I googled it. R333 is the fifth one up from the bottom, weight is on page 2. Lbs w/cvr (which I assume means lbs with cover) says 33. It's kind of heavy but probably a solid seat. Can't afford carbon and anything cheaper than this that's not a steel frame, will probably not hold up well with me in it. LOL.

Edit, just looked at the chart again and it's the Chrono which is 33 lbs. The R333 says 31.6 lbs. Now I'm definitely getting those.

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
It is 6th from the bottom. 31.6 lbs. More than i thought. But still very tempting. Without sliders and with home made brackets i would estimate it to be around 70lbs for a set. So it is roughly 55bs lighter. Considering, that most of the weight was shaved from back of the car, that should balance the things out little bit.

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
I'm concerned about the side bolsters on the seat bottom and seat back. They don't look very deep. Chrono's look a little better in that regard, but R333's look cooler. Just being fabric will help. The stock seats sucked at the track. I think a 4 point harness will help, but haven't quite figured out how to mount it in the back. Without the seats in the back my car's looking like a cargo van practically. Just cavernous back there. Sorry Darrin, shouldn't be hijacking your thread.

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
The main reason i got stinger was because i could make cargo van out of it. What else can a car guy in constraction business do, when there's only option for 1 car :). And i would like to thank Darrin, for shining the light on that mod. I'll get 1 seat, and if it works fine will get another.

AWDGT2

Stinger Enthusiast
I'm concerned about the side bolsters on the seat bottom and seat back. They don't look very deep. Chrono's look a little better in that regard, but R333's look cooler. Just being fabric will help. The stock seats sucked at the track. I think a 4 point harness will help, but haven't quite figured out how to mount it in the back. Without the seats in the back my car's looking like a cargo van practically. Just cavernous back there. Sorry Darrin, shouldn't be hijacking your thread.
No it's all good, I love the discussion!!!

AWDGT2

Stinger Enthusiast
How much does this seat weight? Was looking at seat options. It will be 20-30 lbs seat for me. Still 60-65 lbs less than the stock pair. Also, from the video, looks like seat bracket will be super easy to fabricate.
The seat alone was about 10lbs, with cover and brackets it came in just at or under 15lbs

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...
kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
Ok good.

So Darrin, with the back seat out, what are
Your thoughts on a way to mount a harness setup? Use the hole the back seat bottom Bolt goes into?

AWDGT2

Stinger Enthusiast
Ok good.

So Darrin, with the back seat out, what are
Your thoughts on a way to mount a harness setup? Use the hole the back seat bottom Bolt goes into?
Great question. If I do a support bar, it will actually go between the two B pillars. I would have to cut a circle in that piece of trim but replacing that isn't difficult. I would also use a Locking Pin and Swing out style so it can be removed.
cage.JPG

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
OK. I like it. When I get to that point I’ll have to come see you!

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
All right!! Take plenty of pics along the way. Also can’t wait to here about the size, comfort and function as far as holding you in place.

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
All right!! Take plenty of pics along the way. Also can’t wait to here about the size, comfort and function as far as holding you in place.
Got a seat today( surprisingly fast), and i gotta admit, i am not too excited about it. While the quality seems ok for $500 seat, it is realy on the small side. I am 5.10 190lbs, and it feels pretty tight sitting in it. Maybe, once i install it into car, the seatings position will change, but for now i will say, if you are 6+ft over 200lbs, don't even think about that seat. But it does look pretty cool.

Last edited:

StingertimeNC

Stinger Enthusiast
NC
Shoot, that's what I was afraid of. 6'1" and 218 lbs. 38 inch waist. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what seat will fit me How's the side bolstering? You think it will be snug during spirited/track driving? Looking forward to pics.

Oh, where did you purchase it?

Also, maybe you can take a pic of the new seat side by side with the stock seat for comparison?

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast
Shoot, that's what I was afraid of. 6'1" and 218 lbs. 38 inch waist. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what seat will fit me How's the side bolstering? You think it will be snug during spirited/track driving? Looking forward to pics.

Also, maybe you can take a pic of the new seat side by side with the stock seat for comparison?
I say it is too small for you. Got it from Ebay. Little cheaper than other websites i looked at. Side bolstering is pretty close to stock seat. It has great shoulder support. It is firmer than stock, but not in a bad way. It is comfortable. Where it is not so good imho, is the seating section (dont know proper name for it) feels short. I think it would be perfect for someone who is 5'7"-5'8". I will have to wait till weekend until i can do anything with it. Will take pictures as well.

Ohiocruiser

Stinger Enthusiast

I think i spoke too soon. Was probably just tired. So did some testing and measurements this morning. That seating section is pretty much the same as stock. Obviously, i still need to install it.