Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

how to disable fake engine sound

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Fenweekooo, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Fenweekooo

Fenweekooo United States Member

So i guess this would be an "interior" topic but how do you disable the augmented engine sound? is that option not available in the Canadian stinger? I know you can set it to minimized in the custom drive mode but you would think there was a way to disable it globally. i have been thru every menu and there is nothing, so with reading peoples posts about option menus disappearing i thought i would ask.

2. KiaofMuncie

KiaofMuncie United States Kia Dealership Stinger Dealer

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

How "fake" are the engine noise levels? The engine noise heard is real, not some recording. Isn't the actual engine noise augmented or diminished in the cabin depending on the setting? And isn't this "setting" more of a gimmick? I haven't heard any noticeable difference between max and minimum settings. I keep mine on the lowest setting anyway. At least I'm doing all I can to keep "piped in" engine noise to a minimum.

4. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

It’s an “enhanced” engine sound pumped in through the speakers while in Sport mode. It is quite unnoticeable in most situations. Even in Sport mode it still sounds mostly real. Quite a non-issue if you ask me.

5. Fenweekooo

Fenweekooo United States Member

thanks for the input everyone, even with driving the car for a month now i could not tell if it was real or "enhanced" as all i have heard and seen in youtube videos is people going into the menu and turning it off. guess it's real and thats good enough for me

6. MerlintheMad

You mean turning it down, not off. You can't turn the enhanced engine noise off.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. StingMe

StingMe United States Active Member

The G70 can turn it off. Same menu, with OFF at the bottom. Possibly it's a 2019 Stinger change? We'll see.

8. MikeJr74

MikeJr74 United States Member

Manufacturers have been doing this for years. They have even added engine noise to their new electric cars. CaranddriverDOTcom/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

9. MerlintheMad

@MikeJr74: that is so lame. Like falsies. Or medieval codpieces to pretend that your family jewels are big ones. Fake is fake.

The real internal combustion engine sound as the source of the cabin engine sound is not faked, it is regulated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Seriously, i can hear my motor when i get on it. But, i truly dont think you have an issue.

11. MikeJr74

Just watched a CnD YouTube review. They liked that Kia allows for '''minimal' enhanced sound setting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Correct! Mike!

13. MikeJr74

After a couple years of having no engine noise, it is taking a bit of adjustment going back to a throaty engine sound and vibration. The car is fun and comfortable, for sure.

14. Ruturaj

Ruturaj United States Stinger Enthusiast

Have you tried locating the fuse for it?

15. Socalstinga

Socalstinga United States Active Member

I can't tell the difference between sport (maximized) vs. custom (where I minimized).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Stinger Enthusiast

You can turn it off in the 2019MY, if I recall correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. William Bolden

William Bolden United States Newish Member

Enhanced engine sounds are being used due to the improvements to reducing outside noise. This includes improvements to glass and windows for example. When you close a car door with windows up today, engine and exhaust sounds are drowned out on 4 and 6 cylinder cars. My 2019 2.0 gives me 4 options to include turning it off completely. Electric cars have a sound added for safety reasons. ...mainly so pedestrians can here them approaching.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. 50StingerGT2

50StingerGT2 United States Newish Member

Are you talking about the pumped in exhaust sounds? With muffler deletes, the only “engine noise” I hear is the difference when I switch to eco drive mode. Which drastically changes the exhaust note. Mines loud enough now that I honestly don’t hear the pumped in noise. There’s an option to turn off the “Enhanced” exhaust noise in the custom drive mode. I’m pretty sure the map in eco mode is changing the cylinder function which drastically reduces the audible noise outside the car (for neighbors sake, right?).

19. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Seems you've not driven other performance oriented 4- and 6- cylinder vehicles. There is absolutely no problem hearing exhaust in M- class and AMG vehicles, even without the valved "performance" setting some have.

Not saying they are better, but they don't need fake exhaust piped thru the stereo.

20. ngramly

ngramly United States New Member

As far as I remember, BMW was the first to really get attention for adding fake engine noises in the M5 some time in the early 2010's. It's also in the E43 AMG based on a quick google search.

I think this is pretty standard practice nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted