Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

How To Convert Reverse lights to LED

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by robz32, Mar 1, 2018.

1. robz32

robz32 United States 2500 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor Texas Stinger Swarm

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 10
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. SEA Stinger

SEA Stinger United States Active Member

Excellent DIY directions, @robz32! These will be very useful - my LED backup lights are being delivered tomorrow!

3. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club!

@robz32 I think your label on the rear shot comparing stock to LED is backwards. Says LED is on the right but the pic looks like it’s on the left.

When I did this I didn’t need to pry the light bar out, just grabbing it on both sides it slid right out.

Also DO NOT use a screw driver or anything metal to pry the panels in the hatch. That plastic is very soft (as all interior trim is) and will damage easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Falaris

Falaris United States Active Member Sustaining Member +

@robz32 Excellent write up! Thank you for the time and thoroughness.

-Fal

5. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

I can't believe they would have an owner take out such a fragile part to change a freaking bulb! The cover on my Sorento exposes the bulb holders themselves, it's a 30 second job to change out. I even checked the Stinger owners manual and, sure enough, that's the procedure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. derek0609

derek0609 United States Active Member

I thought the same thing.

7. Brian Keenan

Brian Keenan United States Active Member Founding Member

Great writeup! Thank you very much! Looks great!

8. robz32

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Stinger Enthusiast Authorized Vendor

10. robz32

11. derek0609

derek0609 United States Active Member

Here are the bulbs I used, definitely brighter than stock and only a hair longer.

Attached Files:

12. SEA Stinger

SEA Stinger United States Active Member

Okay, I finally got around to replacing my reverse lights. Followed @robz32's outstanding DIY directions and photos. The process was a breeze, and the results are a definite improvement.

I installed the same bulbs that @derek0609 did: Sylvania Zevo 921's. The package indicates that each LED "bulb" is 2.5 watts. The stock incandescents are 16 watts each. That implies the LEDs produce about 15% more lumens, but to me the difference seems more than that.

@robz32, thanks again for your excellent installation guide!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

Great post! Thanks for the detailed instructions! Will have to add this to my Stinger’s “to do list”

• Like Like x 1
  14. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

Just want to say that I did this today and the end result is amazing. Just some notes regarding the swap:

- Once I unbolted the 6 bolts, the light bar came out so easily that I didn't even need to pry anything. Just pop one side out a bit, pop the other side out, then the whole thing slides out very easily.
    - For prying out the plastic guards inside the trunk, I found it easiest to go around the bottom instead of the top when making your way around popping it out, it'll work out easier.

Some pics:

Alone:
    [​IMG]

Full taillights:
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

Changed out my reverse bulbs today also. Nice white lights backing up now. Huge thanks to robz32 for a great DIY post for the switch. On to the next mod ... window tint tomorrow:thumbup:. 20180318_141813.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Thang

Thang United States Active Member

Huge issue with my install. Had no issues taking out light bar and installing the bulbs. Issue is that I used the bulbs that RobZ32 recommended, and the LED Reverse Lights won’t shut off. In Neutral, Drive, and Park, the bulb constantly stays on. I replaced an LED bulb with one of the LED spares it came with (4-Pack) and same issue. Replaced one of the two bulbs with halogen and it worked correctly. Made both LED bulbs again and same issue, constantly on. I reverted back to the stock halogen bulbs. Something similar happened to my 2017 KIA SPORTAGE SX. It won’t let you shift out of park when the reverse bulb is replaced with LED. Will just order white halogens.

17. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

Anyone else having this issue? What type of bulb are you using?

18. robz32

19. Thang

I'm familiar with polarity and I have modded the lighting in all 5 of my cars in the last 7 years. It happens when both are LED. No issues when one is halogen. Similar to my 2017 Sportage except that wouldn't even let me shift out of park. The Stinger will let me shift out of park but again the bulbs are on 100% of the time. Oh well, appreciate your walk through though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Thang

Draft saved Draft deleted