Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

How to Connect and Use Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Kia Stinger, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

You can securely access your smartphone while driving by using this feature. Various functions on your smart phone are dis- played on the multimedia system so you can easily use them (finding the direction, making a call, listening to music, etc.).

With Android Auto or Apple CarPlay connected, Android Auto or Apple CarPlay appears on the display. Available functions and operations may differ depending on your Stinger model.

For more information, visit the Google or Apple website.

VIEW THE MANUAL

Feel free to ask questions below...

2. corradoMR2

corradoMR2 Canada Active Member

Can Android Auto connect over Bluetooth or must it be via USB? (Not the color this time :D )

3. Chris

Chris United States Stinger Enthusiast

On most cars it had to be plugged in via USB. Google has baked in the ability to use WiFi (not Bluetooth) to connect, but I don't know if any manufacturers have enabled it. You would definitely need wireless charging to do this, as streaming Google maps to the car screen would eat the phone battery. I should also mention, even though you are plugging the phone in via USB it still uses Bluetooth for some functions. ( You cannot disable Bluetooth and still answer the phone for example)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kia Stinger

Right, you'll definitely need to connect via USB to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay...

5. Scorpio Redux

Scorpio Redux United States Member

If I do not have a phone in the car and activate "Voice", I assume that I will be talking to the uVO System. If my iPhone is plugged in to the USB port and Apple CarPlay is enabled, "Voice" appears to only (?) connect me with Apple's "Siri". If my phone is NOT plugged in but IS connected by Bluetooth I am guessing that "Voice" is working my phone through the uVO System.

Am I looking at this the right way?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller United States Active Member Stinger Dealer

7. PICKLES

PICKLES United States Newish Member

You pretty much have it for most newer vehicles on the road out there particularly the KIAs and Hyundais.

If nothing is paired or connected then you can interact with the infotainment system. You can make changes to radio stations and/or In car navigation system.

With the iphone plugged in you will have most of the Siri functionality.

Without it plugged in you will be interacting with the bluetooth, infotainment, and/or in car navigation.

Do remember that the computers are relatively simple and you must give it the voice commands with the specific key words that it has been programmed to recognize as opposed to speaking conversationally.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Scorpio Redux

My Stinger is a U.S. Specification "Base" Model, thus my only Navigation capability is through my iPhone.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Does AA work on GTs? Or is it only available for GT1 & GT2?

*Edit: Nevermind, Google showed me the way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kia Stinger

You can also search here. There's a big "FIND" link up top with a magnifying glass next to it. Why SEARCH when you can FIND? :p
    Find | Kia Stinger Forum

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Stang

Stang United States Newish Member

I'm using Apple Car Play with success in general, except for being able to hear phone calls. If I place or receive a call via Car Play, the call goes through / connects OK -- but I cannot hear anything and the person I connect with cannot hear me. Texts/SMS messages work fine. Anybody else experienced this? FWIW, I'm using an iPhone 6 with current iOS (11.2.6). Have not yet tried phone via Bluetooth, will give that a go but curious about the Car Play anomaly. Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  12. rdromance

rdromance United States Active Member

Bluetooth connection is required when using Android Auto.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scorpio Redux

I have placed calls using Apple CarPlay where the other party hears me OK but I cannot hear them. Turning up the volume (using any of the controls you would use for the car's radio) seems to be the fix.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

I had volume issues when I started using BT/AA/Carplay, each has its own separate volume adjustment, so I had to turn each up to like at least 30 for me to be able to hear anything.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Stang

Stang United States Newish Member

UPDATE: I was able to correct the "can place but cannot hear phone calls" issue by reloading Apple Carplay, restarting phone, sorta starting from scratch. All good now. Thanks to all for your input.

16. Kia Stinger

Great! Thank you for letting us know! :)

17. Clearly Canadian

Clearly Canadian Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I don’t understand the point of wireless charging if I have to connect via usb to use CarPlay anyway. Any thoughts?

Also, I purchased amazon’s 4 inch usb cord which is the minimum length that will allow my iPhone 6 to be plugged in and fit in the tray. (Diagonal, due to the short cord length)

The ideal cord length appears to be 5 inches, but not sure if 5 inch usb cords exist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Scorpio Redux

I purchased a Stanley three foot long coiled Lightning cable from Amazon. The coil keeps it neat in the compartment but still allows me to access the phone when parked (to type a street address into Apple Maps, for example).

STANLEY Rugged 3 Foot Coiled USB To Lightning Sync and Charge Cable
    Made For Apple iPhones, iPads and iPods https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JMSTHUO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_juELAbCNSJMQ7

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! STL Stinger Club Texas Stinger Swarm

Excellent idea! Didn't even know this existed. I need mini USB-C, but they're out there, too. Thanks!

20. Kia Stinger

I agree. And not only that, the wireless charging doesn't do much.

Draft saved Draft deleted