Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

How To Adjust Headlight Beam Height

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by DaJackson, May 19, 2018.

1. DaJackson

DaJackson United States 1000 Posts Club!

After installing my springs my headlights were aimed lower. This has been an easy fix on other cars I’ve owned but the Stinger is slightly different.

First the headlight adjustment is behind the headlight on each side under where the fender and hood meet.

Generally there is a screw to adjust the height, and this hole that’s circled has a marking saying U<—>D, seems like a logical place.

The other hole says L<—>R but there is nothing in the hole. I’ve never had a reason to adjust a headlight left to right though.

I have the K&N intake and I just had to unbolt the heat shield and remove the filter to get to the adjustment. The stock system should be easy as well as you would just need to remove the air filter box which I think is just 3 bolts and a hose clamp.

950662D0-D237-4C4F-8285-5530F2EB5B97.jpeg

This is what is down that hole. Glad I just purchased an WiFi endescope to get this picture. Obviously that’s not a screw.
    08878424-32A5-47A3-83B2-01AE04AED582.jpeg

Luckily on the back side of this “gear” is a 12mm nut. It’s marked by the arrow in the top picture.
    31864FCD-3834-4C93-BB2B-57ADB7121A1C.png

Park the car in front of a wall/garage door and turn on the lights, mark your starting location with something. I like to use painters tape.

Rotate the nut using a crescent wrench (ratcheting makes this much easier) and see which way the beam moves. If it goes up, keep going. If it goes down, go the other direction. It’s a tight fit so you’ll only get maybe 1/10 a rotation before hitting the frame and it’s a fine adjustment so the 1” I moved the beam took 1 - 1 1/2 rotations of the nut.
    58D73F46-4207-409A-AD81-3E6BD2F58F67.jpeg

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 5
    • Useful x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Stinger Enthusiast

So clockwise to raise. Right

3. DaJackson

I honestly don’t remember. Once you start rotating it you will see it move, if it’s the wrong way go the other direction.

4. Fl stingergt

Ya the spring change deafeningly shorten up light distance. Even with drop these springs ride better then stock to me.

5. Fl stingergt

Counter clockwise raises light. Just finished doing it very easy all back to normal.

6. JCranford83

JCranford83 United States Member

What model do you have?

7. Fl stingergt

I have gt rear wheel. It is super easy to adjust lights 15 min

8. Fl stingergt

Take out air boxes three bolts. Take off tube. You will see bolt head. I think 12 mm go counter clockwise to raise. Put tape on wall wait until dark. I went up about ten inches above tape put it back to normal before springs

9. JCranford83

Dealer said no adjustment option on GT2. Ugh.

10. DaJackson

The GT2 has auto leveling headlights correct? They should still have an adjustment. My VW leveled up and down and left and right but still had adjustment screws.

You should be able to feel behind the headlight where the bolt should be without removing the air boxes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fl stingergt

Look under hood on wheel well behind light there is a plastic grey they look like little funnels . Adjusting but on bottom. There is know side to side adjustments. Just up and down

12. Fl stingergt

I would double check what kia said

13. JCranford83

What do I stick in the funnel...screwdriver? And How did the Kia tech not see that????

14. DaJackson

Go look at the top post again, there is a gear in that funnel and at most you can move it fractions of a mm if you get a screwdriver down there.

Adjusting the bolt is much easier and more efficient.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fl stingergt

Nothing down hole look underneath there is a nut head spin it counter clockwise to raise. Some of these guys and girls selling and working on have know idea of what’s going on with this car and how to do stuff to them. When I bought mine I knew more about car then anybody in there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Fl stingergt

Go back few days on this thread there are pictures of bolt head under plastic funnel looking thing

17. Fl stingergt

Did you get your lights adjusted

18. JCranford83

Not yet...was going to try Fri but it was pouring rain...then landed in ER most yesterday. Going to try this week.

19. MicroBlue

MicroBlue United States Active Member

This post should be part of a FAQ or Sticky! Great work and write up @DaJackson

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

Agreed, perhaps moved to the DIY section...i verified same gears in mine and located the adjustment bolt right where @DaJackson OP showed.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted