Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

How often does your radiator fan run?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by UltraCow, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:10 PM.

1. UltraCow

UltraCow United States New Member

As the thread title says, what do most of you guys see for how often your radiator fan runs? Around town, just off the freeway, stop-and-go, etc.

From my observations so far, it seems that the cooling system on the Stinger is fairly aggressive in trying to keep *something* in a certain temp range most of the time, whether that's for oil cooling, intercooler airflow (not sure if the fan shroud is even connected to it), or simply coolant or engine bay temps. This is during a fairly cold California winter, with plenty of "normal" driving as well.

For reference, I've had a few different stock FI cars along with NA (my Stinger is the 3.3), so I do some data points here for something with a turbo or two vs not.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 8:18 PM
  2. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada 1000 Posts Club!

In the summer months I noticed that it ran often which doesn't surprise me being that it's a twin turbo car and produces a lot of heat.

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I just assumed that the radiator fan runs more or less constantly. And I don't even think about it.

4. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

We only have one fan, so it'll run any time the A/C system is running too. The A/C compressor might be pumping while you have the heat on in order to de-humidify the air. That helps prevent fogging on cold days.
    Plugging in a high quality scan tool should give you the data you want.

5. Michael Polito

Michael Polito Canada Newish Member

ALL THE TIME, and its loud... when i go for my first oil change im going to ask about it

also im from toronto so its cold here and still runs like crazy

6. Whytiptoe

Whytiptoe United States Member

As oddball said this is also used for the AC system. Next time you hear it running turn your AC/Heat off and see it stop. I thought the same thing like WTH and happened to turn the heat/air off and the fan followed to the off position, turned the heat/air back on and the fan followed again.

7. Michael Polito

Michael Polito Canada Newish Member

ac lol its freezing here in toronto. -10c// 14 f
    even with heat off it runs after driving for a bit

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Whytiptoe

Whytiptoe United States Member

Now I know the car has an auto defrost system even with the air/heat in the off position. Might check and see if you have that setting on and see if the possibly is the culprit.

9. 5tinger

5tinger Australia Member

All Kia Hyundai's use a single fan that I have never noticed kick in as they're so quiet.

If you want to hear fan noise - Toyota/Lexus use twin-fans that you can hear from a mile away - they're so loud & powerful that they make the entire vehicle vibrate for a second when they run.

10. BertBert2019GT

BertBert2019GT United States Active Member

wait, yours turns off?!

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted