Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We're so glad you found us. Please click the button below and become a member!
Register Now
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

How fast does wireless charching charge Qi Wireless Charging Smartphones?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by voon, Feb 12, 2018.

1. voon

voon Switzerland Active Member

I wonder: if you throw your Qi Samsung Galaxy etc into the charging box in the Stinger, how strong is the charging current? Is it sane? Or ridiculously low, so that you use the cable again anyway? It's a bit of a decision making thing for my next phone. I do think various phones probably also charge at different powers with Qi (not sure how regulated that standard is).

• Like Like x 1
  2. AV8R

AV8R Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Perth
    Depends upon voltage to QI. Check the manuals

3. voon

If I had a manual :) Or a Stinger, which arrives April. I did check the only manual I could find on the web (some US Stinger Manual), but that doesn't say much on the topic of Qi, wireless charging or smartphones.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States Active Member

No wireless charging on U.S. models so it wouldn't be in the U.S. manual. What's wrong with a USB plug-in? You'll probably be using the phone with the LCD screen anyway and it has to be plugged in to use that.

5. voon

I think it only has to be plugged in for Android Auto ... not sure why I'd use that very often.

6. Chris

Chris United States Stinger Enthusiast

MN
    It's going to depend on what they put in the car and what your phone is. All the new Samsung phones support fast wireless charging. I can charge my phone from dead to full in just barely over 2 hours using a fast wireless charger. A normal wireless charger takes over 4. Apple phones do not support fast wireless charging. If I had to guess the charger in the car does not support it either. I would bet it maxes out at 1 amp. You need to get one of the Canadian guys to download an app that will show you charging rates and stick their phone on the charger..

7. mldavis2

I would seriously doubt that fast charging was provided. Some devices (my original Kindle is a good example) are damaged by fast charging and I would expect any cell phone not so designed could be at risk with the higher amperage.

8. Chris

Chris United States Stinger Enthusiast

MN
    Nothing would be damaged. The fast charging uses a standard from qualcomm. The phone and the charger talk to each other. If the phone doesn't support fast charging the, charger just charges at the normal rate.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Member

Qi is a standard, if it's not a "fast" wireless charger, it's going to be 5W, same as plugging it into one of those small iPhone bricks that come with the phones. Not super fast, but not super slow.

Also, yes, fast charging doesn't damage anything. Phones only fast charge when they are absolutely able to, given the right temperature and battery voltage. Otherwise, it'll charge at a normal rate.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. mldavis2

I think I mentioned above that using the wired "fast" charger brick for my Samsung S6 phone destroyed my old Gen3 Kindle. Wireless charging would be safe because devices not able to wireless charge would be unaffected. The USB charging port "should" work OK with anything that charges by USB 2.0

11. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Member

Devices pull power based on their own power controllers, if your Gen3 Kindle was destroyed by a power brick, it's because its own power controller screwed up and perhaps pulled the wrong current and overloaded something on the device. Fast wired chargers still support normal charging speeds, and plugging them into non-fast-charging capable devices will still allow it to charge at normal speeds. I plug fast wired chargers into devices that don't support it all the time and it'll just charge at normal 10W speeds.

• Agree Agree x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted