Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Hight beam secondary reflection issue

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by adam193, Aug 21, 2019.

1. adam193

adam193 Australia New Member

Hi all,

I've noticed an issue with my high beams that they tend to light up alot of area higher above where they should. On a road with overhanging trees etc, you're pretty well blinding the possums with the high beams. It's not the direct light, but seems like a reflection or something as it's not as bright as the direct high beams.
    I've attached two photos, one of the low beam which is fine. The other of high beams where you see the normal high beam horizon, but also two round spots halfway up the wall. This is maybe 5m away in my garage, so as you can expect they point very high when on a road. Has anyone see this? ? 20190821_170508.jpg 20190821_170456.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia 1000 Posts Club!

Can't say I had noticed, but I don't do a lot of night driving and haven't had cause to use high beam. Here's how mine looks as of a few minutes ago.
    20190822_105408.jpg 20190822_105352.jpg

3. adam193

adam193 Australia New Member

Looks like that's just how they are. I've got a photo below a bit closer and looks like a similar pattern to yours. Seems rather strange that it's a design element to be like that. I do a bit of night driving on back roads and notice it quite a bit. Doesn't seem like many people notice it so guess I'll have to just put up with it!

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

This is mine at approx. 5-6 metres off the wall in my carpark at work.
    D4B9E5D0-1DA0-4307-BEF9-9ADDE6198899.jpeg

5. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

looks like a Happy Face , smiling back at you !!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Exactly, thankfully that’s what I see when I leave work every afternoon...lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bigbikes

Bigbikes Australia Active Member

Same here l noticed on Saturday night went to visit my son and he said whats with lights ...spotting possums haha.
    Though when i bend down and look into them from distance they are projecting straight forward...must be a reflection in headlight housing bouncing beam :unsure:

8. Callum

Callum Greece Stinger Enthusiast

They are known as "squirrel finders", it's 100% normal.

The Stinger high beams have them, quite badly. They are designed to light up highway signs off in the distance so you can read them (the huge signs, that tell you exits and highway intersections). You can block them off, but it requires you to open the headlight and block the plates off.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Bonsai

Bonsai United States Active Member

Ohhh that makes sense, that's why it looks like I got a perfect spotlight looking up into the trees when I drive home (live out in the sticks). I was thinking maybe its to be able to see anything hanging over, but never thought about the large freeway signs.

10. Callum

Callum Greece Stinger Enthusiast

Mine have the same thing, I believe that is a reflection off something in the projector/headlight. I have to lean forward and look up to see that spot light. It's not useful, but they can't make 100% of the light useful on headlights. Some of it goes to waste.

11. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! STL Stinger Club Texas Stinger Swarm

I've seen something like this in headlights since back in the late 90's. As @Callum said, they're used to help spotlight road signs. Some implementations have them more pointed to the passenger side. It appears Kia is working both sides of the road with theirs. I suppose it could be a cost-cutting measure between right- and left-hand drive vehicles, saving on parts costs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hapa88

Hapa88 United States Member

I always thought that the low beams had problems with glare/secondary reflections. It's even apparent in your photos.

13. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Fascinating. I've done a fair bit of night driving and a lot of it on highways where I use my high beams. Never noticed anything "odd" about them. They are the most efficient headlights I've ever had. Love them! (Like the "happy face"; I'll say "Hi" when I see her. :laugh: )

14. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

The high beams on the Stinger "waste" a lot less light than other vehicles I've owned - including my current Sorento which REALLY lights up the trees. I took the time to get an idea of how "bad" it was on the Sorento the other night, it casts a uniform lights up about 35 degrees from the vehicle, WAY more light shed above than the Stinger.

You're probably noticing it more because it's just those two blobs from reflections (I doubt they are intentional) that stand out against the surrounding darkness, kind of like how we all notice the "notch" in the low beams because it stands out against the otherwise uniform spread of light.

15. Hapa88

So on my 2008 Mazdaspeed3 I installed a 55w HID plug and play kit to replace the factory halogens. Maybe I’m asking too much but the Mazdaspeed3 light is way more uniform (without any “hot spots”) and much brighter. I was quite disappointed with the Stingers low beam light performance to be honest. Maybe I’ll go take a few photos tonight to highlight the difference between them (both high and low), and throw in my wife’s C300, as her car comes with factory LEDs.

16. MerlintheMad

I bet that you are experiencing the low beam setting being angled too low, i.e. hitting the road too close to the car. You need to raise your headlights so that they puddle on the road further out.

17. Hapa88

No, I reaimmed the cutoff to match my Mazda and took some photos last night to highlight the difference. As you can see, the Mazda's light is way more uniform, way wider, brighter (hard to match the exposure using my phone), illuminates more directly in front of the car and has less glare (note the reflections and horizontal lines of light above the "cutoff" especially on the Stinger, midway up the house).

Attached Files:

18. MerlintheMad

The Stinger's lights are brighter. The dark band in front of the hood isn't an issue since that light is wasted (too close) to do any good at driving speed. But you did say there is a discrepancy between the pics and what you really see. To me the shape of the lighted areas is of less concern than the amount of light; specifically how far out it reaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted