kia stinger store

Help, My Stinger randomly shuts down

Grimfear

Newish Member
Hey Guys, I've got a really weird issue I'm trying to fix. 2018 Stinger GT2 AWD. What will happen is I will sometimes be in traffic or at a light and the engine will shutoff as normal. Then occasionally all of the lights, controls anything electrical goes black and turns off. No buttons in the cabin work.

I usually pull out my key and hold it to the ignition and try hitting start---nothing
I hit buttons on the key fob---nothing
I flail about in the cabin hitting things--nothing
Finally I open and close the door. Then Finally I get a door ajar light. then other lights come on like the system is rebooting and I can start the car again and go on my way.

I've even come out to it in my driveway completely dead. I had to use the physical key to open the door and after trying buttons for a while it will come on again.

I just bought it used in May so its still under warrenty but I have no clue what could be happening and since I can't figure out a way to reproduce it the Techs are having a hard time as well.

My Kia dealer has it now and has run it through battery, alternator, etc checks and is not finding anything wrong.

Thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone else had heard or experienced anything similar before?

Thanks

nhcowboy28

1000 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Might need a priest.
E1ED12D6-40E0-400F-8900-759F7D839E54.jpeg

Mark the date you dropped it off. This might become a lemon law car.

SteveCo

1000 Posts Club!
Calgary, AB
Never heard of anything similar - doesn't sound like charging, dead or low battery issue, as it eventually comes back and starts. Sounds more like a flaky computer or wiring/connection issue, especially if the engine turning off normally for the Auto Start/Stop, and that seems to precipitate the entire electrical system going dead.

Hope it's not the case, but if you get the car back from the dealer and it does it again in your driveway, call them and have them send a service tech and equipment out to look at it there - while it's playing dead. Good luck!

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
Did your car have the wiring recall performed? Not to frighten you but I saw a Stinger accident video on Youtube where the guy said his car shutdown on the highway and his steering wheel locked, sounds like a similar issue.

Video below:

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
Hey Guys, I've got a really weird issue I'm trying to fix. 2018 Stinger GT2 AWD. What will happen is I will sometimes be in traffic or at a light and the engine will shutoff as normal. Then occasionally all of the lights, controls anything electrical goes black and turns off. No buttons in the cabin work.

I usually pull out my key and hold it to the ignition and try hitting start---nothing
I hit buttons on the key fob---nothing
I flail about in the cabin hitting things--nothing
Finally I open and close the door. Then Finally I get a door ajar light. then other lights come on like the system is rebooting and I can start the car again and go on my way.

I've even come out to it in my driveway completely dead. I had to use the physical key to open the door and after trying buttons for a while it will come on again.

I just bought it used in May so its still under warrenty but I have no clue what could be happening and since I can't figure out a way to reproduce it the Techs are having a hard time as well.

My Kia dealer has it now and has run it through battery, alternator, etc checks and is not finding anything wrong.

Thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone else had heard or experienced anything similar before?

Thanks

Take it to the dealer and have them replace the battery for you. The car being a used one, probably sat without being driven and the battery ran flat. These are AGM batteries and they don't like it when they are discharged or low. Some owners, who bought the car new, reported issues with batteries and had the dealer replace them under warranty.

Grimfear

Newish Member
Just heard back from the dealer. Battery checks out. I'll have to ask about the wiring recall when I go back in to pick it up.

So far its only done it while stopped. So we are suspecting something with the auto start/stop.

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
Take it to the dealer and have them replace the battery for you. The car being a used one, probably sat without being driven and the battery ran flat. These are AGM batteries and they don't like it when they are discharged or low. Some owners, who bought the car new, reported issues with batteries and had the dealer replace them under warranty.

What you're suggesting wont fix whatever the OP is describing...the battery won't just die and shutoff an engine while it's running. The only way the battery could be the culprit was if one lf the posts had a bad connection from someone not retightening it or something.

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
He did state that he would come to a completely dead vehicle in the mornings, after letting it sit overnight. That's the reason behind my response.

But I do agree with your assessment as well.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Crud, OP. Nobody here has experienced anything like it. That's good and bad at the same time! You've already received good advice. I have nothing to add but sympathy (and I always send a prayer when I see unfortunate things occurring, for what it's worth).

G70 Owner

I cant post links because Im too new. But on the G70 forum a G70 owner found the auto stop/start causing the car to shut off randomly. Ended up being a lemon and getting a buyback because Genesis techs couldnt fix. Name of thread is 'G70 2k miles having issues'

Dennis

Singapore
To me seems like a electrical issue and possibility the wiring harness of yours is affected to some degree. Simple logic of a totally dead vehicle including lights, warning lights and buttons only relate to loose connection or intermittent connection between electrical supply and equipment. This is similar to having a battery terminal loose. My bet will be in the electrical harness or battery terminal. Good luck! But will be an easy fix.

G

G-96163

I have a 2019 Kia Stinger leased in May 2019. I have had SEVERAL incidents where, at a light with the AUTO feature OFF, the car shuts down and will not start until I put it into park and try to restart it (keyless). Yesterday, it wouldn't start and took several tried to get it to start again. I was at a light... not very safe.

Grimfear

Newish Member
Luckily after my last dealer trip I've not had it repeat. But They didn't find anything and as far as I know nothing was updated. Guessing it may be a loose harness and when they checked them all it got re-seated properly. That's the only thing I can think of.

ProsperDad

Prosper, TX
This could absolutely be a battery issue...I spent 10 years with a well known battery manufacturer.

In theory, you can make any battery "appear" to be good. Take a known bad/weak battery, put it on a charger, remove from charger, then immediately test it...battery will pass. Now, do that same thing, BUT let is rest for at least 1 hour before testing allowing the battery to fall to its resting OCV (Open Circuit Voltage) THEN check it and "uh oh" battery is bad.

Also, hand held testers used by dealerships of all brands are conductance testers and can't predict actual prolonged energy availability...only an instantaneous reading to replicate a starting event. To test this, the battery needs to be removed, fully charged (Using a AGM charger...flooded charger WILL damage the battery internally). Then, after allowing the battery to rest for a minimum of 1 hour, place it on a 12V discharge machine. This places a 25 AMP load on the battery to test its reserve capacity...this is what you need to support electrical loads (rather than just a start event). This test is measured in minutes and can take several hours. Our battery is rated for 170 RC (Reserve Capacity minutes). Battery Council International (BCI) deems a battery to have reached its end of life at 50% RC, so in our case, anything less than 85 minutes would be considered bad. This is the only true way to test a battery for accurate performance.

me&stinger

Did your car have the wiring recall performed? Not to frighten you but I saw a Stinger accident video on Youtube where the guy said his car shutdown on the highway and his steering wheel locked, sounds like a similar issue.

Video below:

Car turning off and steering wheel locked? That's horribly scary!

HerbieTheCar

Minnesnowta

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
Looks like that Ram 1500 needs a new battery too! :whistle:
I think the Ram lost control trying to stop quickly when he saw the Stinger crossing the median. My guess is the Stinger owner just hydroplaned, but he claims the car shut off causing the crash. I dont understand why the car would just veer off like that if the engine shut off, seems fishy.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I think the Ram lost control trying to stop quickly when he saw the Stinger crossing the median. My guess is the Stinger owner just hydroplaned, but he claims the car shut off causing the crash. I dont understand why the car would just veer off like that if the engine shut off, seems fishy.
I agree. At c. 10 seconds in, he's starting to drift to the right over the shoulder line, and must have been distracted, looked up and yanked the wheel. Memory is a funny thing, very prone to engage denial. The way his car pivoted AROUND that orange barrow pit sign is incredible. He said, "Not a mark" on his car. Was his guardian angel working overtime or what? :D

I don't see how an engine shutting down would cause the car to drift to the right or lock the steering wheel. Only turning the steering wheel after the engine is shut off would lock it. Of course, once he was stopped, the engine was off and the steering wheel locked; so his brain reengineered the accident to be his car's fault.

Gargamel

Stinger Enthusiast
Sweden

Video below:
If the power shut off in the stinger, then why is the wipers still wiping?
Why is camera still rolling?

That looks more like a Aquaplaning.

G

G-40749

I have a 2019 Kia Stinger leased in May 2019. I have had SEVERAL incidents where, at a light with the AUTO feature OFF, the car shuts down and will not start until I put it into park and try to restart it (keyless). Yesterday, it wouldn't start and took several tried to get it to start again. I was at a light... not very safe.
My 2019 Stinger is in the shop right now for the same thing. I bought it brand new in May. This is the second time I have brought it in for turning off while sitting at red light or in the middle of a median. The first time they said it was a cell in the battery and replaced the battery. 4 weeks later it is doing the same thing, not turning over when starting up, or shutting down for no reason while paused in median. Did you ever get an answer to what was going on with it?