Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Heard a rumor today about mpg issues

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Get Stung, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Get Stung

Get Stung United States Stinger Enthusiast

Was talking to a friend/kia salesman. He said that stingers gas mileage isnt as good as advertised and we may be getting checks for the difference between actual vs advertised. Anyone else hear this?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

This is hilarious!

3. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

It was a thing for many 2011-2013 models.

https://kiampginfo.com/overview/

4. Get Stung

I checked in with him just now, speculation at this point but they had to resticker existing inventory.

Screenshot_20190109-125831_Messages.jpg

• Informative Informative x 6
  5. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

My brother is still collecting checks for this on his older Kia Rio. He drops by the dealer every few months and submits the mileage, and gets paid - this will go on until he no longer has the car, so that would explain why Kia is very, very cautious about any mileage figures released for new vehicles.

According to that letter, they're making that slight change to the Stinger's figures not due to any subterfuge on their part, but as a result of real world testing done after the car was in consumer's hands. I'd be surprised if they implemented another compensation program as a result.

If I drive easily in ECO, SMART or even COMFORT my mileage is much better than their officially released estimates, for both city and highway. I can change that in a hurry by driving aggressively, especially in Sport mode - it's nice to have the choice ... :thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

7. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

How much does he get? A few bucks per thousand miles or so?

8. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Interesting. I will check with my dealer next time I'm in for service.

9. SteveCo

I see the U.S. website now shows a combined rating of 20 mpg, as stated in the letter. What were the published city/highway numbers previously?

The Canadian website is now showing 13.6/9.6 l/100km for city and highway figures, and the 'window sticker' that came with my vehicle shows 12.7/9.6. So a published fuel consumption increase of .9 l/100 km on the city consumption figure only, or in US terms a reduction of 1.23 MP(US)G.

Edit: Corrected 'Highway' consumption to 'City'.

10. SteveCo

Something like that - not much. He lives in the country, so they put a ton of highway miles on that car (which has performed flawlessly since new, by the way). He probably drops by the dealer to get his 'reimbursement' a couple of times a year to make the trip worthwhile.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Get Stung

20-25 avg 21, now 20

• Like Like x 1
  12. friss

friss United States Member

I spent the past 2 weekends driving around looking at houses which in turns ends up being a lot of back roads, idling, slow driving and high way and was getting ~19.5 MPG over 100 miles both times according to the car while in Comfort. Which seems to line up closer with their new 20 MPG estimate.

13. Never thought

Never thought United States 1000 Posts Club!

So there was a class action lawsuit against Kia for fraud due to purposefully having higher than they should EPA MPG estimates around 2013. That is why some people are getting a check. My 2013 Optima SX was rated around 34 mpg on the highway. I could never even get 30 cruising on the in car CPU. Manual calculations showed the CPU read 3 MPG high. I actually get the same manually calculated MPG in my Stinger GT driving the same route. However, the Optima wasn’t covered in the class action, only the hybrid Optima was.

I doubt Kia will send checks out for a 1 mpg difference. You can always call up the Stinger hotline to complain, and I am sure Kia will offer you a goodie.

14. Brian B

Brian B United States Member

Hmm maybe not checks to us 2018 owners who bought the car with the 21 combined MPG stickers but will they at least send a letter out to us to notify us of the change ? Also on an MPG note for this car I avg about 18.5 MPG combined using mostly comfort and sport stuck in stop in go traffic or traffic below mph for 40% for the total miles per week. Strictly highway though... ive gotten about 26 mpg combined on a road trip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

IM going to ask for a buy back. I bought this car to save on gas. 20MPG is unacceptable. Either buy back or give me $1,000,000 for pain and suffering. Its hard to pump gas.... and its cold out. I could get sick.... Go to the hospital... be forced to sue them!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Yea! Stick it to the Man!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

Hilarious!

18. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia United States Stinger Enthusiast

I can't complain about the economy with all factors considered. I actually get better mileage in the city than my 5.0 Coyote Mustang did in the city, but highway is a little worse. I'd suspect AWD losses and the extra 300lbs don't help.

I did notice this car is an absolute pig on fuel when remote starting when it's cold and letting it idle. It sucks a lot of gas when you do that! lol

19. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Active Member

No love for the 2.0 guys?

20. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Well the notification is for the 3.3, so I guess they got yours right..

Draft saved Draft deleted