Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We have over 10,000 viewers online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
Register Now
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Headlights flicker on auto stop start

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Soca Boy, Apr 13, 2018.

1. What’s up guys, has anyone notice that the headlights flicker on with the auto start/stop feature(easy to see it at night)?

2. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

Yes, I notice it as well.

Initially, I was not so comfortable with this, so I disabled the auto-start stop function every time. I don't really care now.

3. Robs

Robs Malaysia Active Member

Yes mine happens with the left main headlamp whenever the engine restarts! The LEDs and right headlamp all don’t flicker. Took a video and brought it up with Kia, they said they would check with Korea on the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

Oh, I thought it's normal for the lights to flicker at restarts. I look forward to hearing what Kia has to say, please update.

5. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Normal. Momentary heavy battery drain to crank the starter.

6. Stung

Stung United States Member

maybe normal on Kia - but our Audi doesn't do this

7. Robs

Robs Malaysia Active Member

My DRLs and right headlamp don’t flicker so don’t see why only the left main headlight has to. Hoping it can be solved with a software update or something.

8. mldavis2

Probably two different circuits. I don't have a wiring diagram to prove that, but I think they are on separate fuses.

9. ScottE

ScottE Member

To me it's no different than the headlights turning on when it gets dark or when the wipers turn on - not a big deal...

10. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

Same. People making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not like they turn off, they just get slightly dim for a quarter of a second.

11. It’s not making a big deal, I never seen this happen before on other cars. Wouldn’t you want to know if there’s a problem with your $50000 investment?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

It's been reported to Kia and there's no service bulletins out, plus what's happening is common sense with what goes on with a car. Sure, it didn't happen on my 440i, but you can easily attribute it to BMW going out of their way to make sure it didn't happen, rather than just let it happen because it's not a problem.

Unless Kia thinks it's a problem, I'll continue not paying attention to it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. Bothor

Bothor Australia Newish Member

We don't get idle stop/start in Aus, however I had a 1 series BMW before this and the lights dimmed when it restarted with that car (halogens, maybe not a thing with LEDs which Berzerker's 440i probably had due to differing power requirements?).

The BMW system at least in the recent 1 series was rough (although a friends 520d was similar), hopefully it's smooth for you guys. I've seen the system in a Golf R and it's smooth. I used to leave it off in my BMW just because of how noticeable it was when it would restart - thankfully you could code it to remember the setting you last had it on.

14. I was behind a pickup the other day when mine stopped behind him and could see my lights very well and didn't notice any flickering upon restart..I only have the GT so maybe tied to all the goodies the GT2 has?

15. mldavis2

LCD lights, at least the ones I buy for my home, have a split second delay when powered on before they light. This may be a characteristic limited to the GTs with the LED lights, or the GT2's with the movable low beam lighting. Don't know ....

16. Stung

Stung United States Member

I agree, with one correction ---- cars are not investments, they are depreciating pieces of sh...

17. Jason

Jason United States Newish Member

I noticed this as well (GT2), just not with the headlights but interior lighting as well. Attributed it to power draw, but doesn't bother me because I don't use the auto start stop anymore.

18. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator

florida
    i think a trip to the dealer is needed for your lights. i actually went and watched mine and it doesn't do this. i called kia n.a. and asked about it. they said there haven't been any reports from customers, yet, but that several dealerships have reported loose connectors. just an opinion, but a trip to the dealer to make sure isn't that bad, especially if it isn't going to cost you anything except for working headlights.

19. Yeah might be a GT2 thing cause of the LEDs, I wish there was a way to shut the auto stop/start right off. Oh well, I guess this is the way of the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted