kia stinger store

Has anyone tried removing the driver side grab handle?

Has anyone ever tried to remove the drive side grab handle on the interior roof?

I only ask as I am tall enough (6'2") with even the seat at the lowest position, where if I move my head to the side my head hits this handle. I have about an inch of headroom for my height. Some people (myself included) call it the "Oh My God handle", you know when your friend driving takes corners too fast. I never understood the point of these handles on the driver side. The Genesis G70 doesn't even have a grab handle on the driver side.

This is one of the only things that has me worried about purchasing this car, as everything else is perfect.

RVance

Crescent City, CA
"I never understood the point of these handles on the driver side. The Genesis G70 doesn't even have a grab handle on the driver side."
I think it would be a great help to a handicapped person/wheelchair user for maneuvering. Just a guess.

CDv6

NoVA
The Genesis G70 doesn't even have a grab handle on the driver side.

Actually, the handles didn't appear in photos of early KDM Stingers models either, but I was relieved when they US models did actually include them. I don't use the driver's side handle routinely, but I have used it occasionally (in various cars) when I had trouble getting out (on a hill, too close to curb, injured leg, etc.).

That said, I understand your predicament. As far as I know, they're just bolted into a reinforced bracket that's welded to the roof of the car. There are lots of videos on the tube of people removing handles, latches, etc. to replace headliners (in various cars), so I'd assume the Stinger's could be removed the same way. What the handle trim removal exposes is another question, but I'd assume you could fabricate something to cover it.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

UncleJ

Old thread, but thought I'd post as I've just removed my drivers side grab handle tonight. Very easy as BigRed assumed it would be.

Each side has a clip you can release with a screwdriver or a dash removal tool. Once open, there are two Phillips head screws to undo, and you're done.

GrabHandle1.jpg GrabHandle2.jpg GrabHandle3.jpg GrabHandle4.jpg

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
This is one of the only things that has me worried about purchasing this car,
This has you worried about purchasing a car? Mkay....

Aarvix

Stinger Enthusiast
North TX
I'm 6'5” and my head is nowhere near the handles.
However, my handles creak like crazy when the car is hot. I'm considering deleting them for that reason, if you 3D print some caps I'd love to see pics.

Dodger Blue

Central Coast, CA
This has you worried about purchasing a car? Mkay....
I'll be honest some of the things I see on here that affect people's buying decisions are hilarious. At least these grab handles are in a usable spot that doesn't get in the way, on my SC300 they were way far forward on the A-pillar in a spot that both blocked your view and gave almost no useful leverage. On those cars, grab handle deletes are very common.

ShannonC

2500 Posts Club!
RHD vehicles delivered in AUS don't have that feature on the driver side...it's a much cleaner look.

SteveCo

1000 Posts Club!
Calgary, AB
How ugly. What are going to do with those holes?
Looks like a short version of the plastic push rivets used to attach various body parts (bumper cover, inner fender, etc.) would finish those up nicely. They come in various lengths and diameters - push in and the bottom would expand to grip the screw holes, with just the flush cap on top of the headliner.

upload_2019-9-28_17-37-57.png

Aarvix

Stinger Enthusiast
North TX
The hole is much larger than that (I've had mine off to try grease to shut them up).
The cutout in the headliner matches the handle, approx 1" [25mm] square.

SteveCo

1000 Posts Club!
Calgary, AB
The hole is much larger than that (I've had mine off to try grease to shut them up).
The cutout in the headliner matches the handle, approx 1" [25mm] square.
Then cut a black plastic cover piece of the appropriate diameter, and drill a hole in the center for the plastic push rivet.

Alternatively, a black carriage bolt or flat headed elevator bolt with the appropriate thread, cut to the needed length. A little Loctite blue on the thread, and you could hand tighten it in place until snug.

upload_2019-9-28_17-57-18.png

Last edited:

leecm

Franklin, TN
I'm 6'5” and my head is nowhere near the handles.
However, my handles creak like crazy when the car is hot. I'm considering deleting them for that reason, if you 3D print some caps I'd love to see pics.

Mine also creak when the car is hot. Super annoying. Anyone know of a fix for that aside from removing them?

Aarvix

Stinger Enthusiast
North TX
It's a plastic-on-metal or plastic-on-plastic creak. I don't think it's the hinge, I think it's either where the handle meets the body (roof), or possibly the handle flexing under the screws.
I tried shin etsu grease between the handle and body and it did nothing.

I removed the handles 3 days ago and it's been silent ever since.

I have a few other ideas I'm going to try, will report back once it's done This only happens when the car is hot, and of course it's actually nice in TX this week, so I need to wait till it's back in the 90s, probably next week.

jimboski10

It's a plastic-on-metal or plastic-on-plastic creak. I don't think it's the hinge, I think it's either where the handle meets the body (roof), or possibly the handle flexing under the screws.
I tried shin etsu grease between the handle and body and it did nothing.

I removed the handles 3 days ago and it's been silent ever since.

I have a few other ideas I'm going to try, will report back once it's done This only happens when the car is hot, and of course it's actually nice in TX this week, so I need to wait till it's back in the 90s, probably next week.
I know is has been awhile…just stumbled across this post. Any word on whether this fixed the issue? (I have the same thing on my 2021)