1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
  2. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

GTA Stingers

Discussion in 'Canada Stinger Forum' started by Silverghost, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Silverghost

Silverghost Canada Member

Let' find out who we have east north and west. Maybe get together for an exchange of views, opinions, experiences and tips.
    I am in Ajax and work in Mississauga.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Am in the North east, Peterborough, anytime you want ot meet let me know, can swing down, my daughter lives in Oshawa, and have other family in Bowmanville also.

3. Silverghost

4. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

5. Silverghost

Was hoping for better weather.
    Then saw the forecast and deleted what I had written.
    Sorry. Don't want to drive in our cold mornings on these Michelin.

• Like Like x 1
  6. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

I am in Mississauga, not far from the 427.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Silverghost

I work on hwy10 south of derry and take 401 instead of 407.
    Once temps improve then I will be using the stinger. Maybe we can go for lunchtime bite at the plaza at Courtney park and hurontario and talk "Stinger"

8. Frank Degrut

Frank Degrut Canada Newish Member

Has anyone driven their summers in this weather (especially mornings)? I’m trading in the VW with it’s winter tires (live in Toronto so only 1 car) but commute up to North York for work. I’m a bit worried about traction.

Any experience?

9. moinmoin

There is the one or other here on the forum who tried the OEM tires earlier this year and got scared. May have been in snow.
    I drove my car after delivery directly to Costco, had them ordered even before I took delivery, and drove the car home with new All Seasons tires.

In any case, TireRack says this:
    Max Performance Summer tires are for serious driving enthusiasts who want a combination of a performance appearance, competent handling, and Z-speed rated (or higher) durability with enhanced dry and wet traction.
    Often used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on powerful sports cars, performance coupes, and high-performance sedans, Max Performance Summer tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Personally, I would not drive with these Summer tires in temperatures below 10 Celsius. The rubber compounds in Summer vs. A/S tires are different, and Summer tires lose some of their grip in lower temperatures.
    It's up to you. Good Luck! :)

10. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

I've had my car since mid-Feb. with the standard summer Pilot Michelin tires, and been driving with it since day one. You know we have not had serious snowfalls since early Feb. All the damage was done in Dec.-Jan. So I've gotten by with these Pilots. That's not to say I would recommend them for winter use - definitely not. But it's Spring, or at least it should be. And any snowfalls now is light and wet. Why bother putting on winters now. Pointless IMO. If you're nervous, drive cautiously.

11. moinmoin

The question was not whether to change to winter tires at this point. The question was whether to drive this car with OEM tires this time of the year, particularly when it is cold in the morning.
    As you well know, temperatures are more often than not below freezing, and you can expect that right to the end of April.
    TireRack's comment makes three points:
    • Low temperatures,
    • Snow,
    • and Ice.
    Either one of these will affect traction.
    You were lucky so far. Good for you. :)

12. Manchuz

Ain't luck. I'm a skilled and seasoned driver. But if you're scared, by all means switch to your safety winters. Or buy a Volvo.

And I did answer his question if you actually read my response - YES, I DRIVE IN THIS WEATHER WITH MY PILOTS.

13. Frank Degrut

Thanks guys. Agree that it’s safer to have AS or winters in this weather. Also agree that the cold weather shouldn’t be lasting too long (fingers crossed because it’s getting ridiculous). I’m not keen on buying winter tires out of season for 1-2 weeks worth of driving.

14. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast

personally, i have driven all my cars through n.y. winters. maybe it isn't on the same level as our canadian neighbors or upper midwestern states, but through all that sleet and slush, never had a problem. and i have some wide rear tires on some of my cars. its all about your level of comfort. maybe not as severe as manchuz posted, but close enough. a second set of winter tires aren't that expensive, unless you don't have the room.

15. Silverghost

I am not keen on buying winter tires right now either. I will wait another week or so for temps to improve before I drive my new car.
    I plan on getting a winter set if rims and tires before the next winter is here.
    I fastco make good rims and then choose your rubber.
    Meanwhile I will collect all the advice I can find.

16. Frank Degrut

Same. That said I’m going to push the pickup of my car until next week given the potential for freezing rain this weekend.

Groan. Worst spring ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Manchuz

It all depends on your comfort level. As I said, I've been on these Pilots since mid-Feb. We've had snowfalls since but nothing heavy and that stayed on the ground for more than a day or two. We definitely didn't get hit like the east coast. The worst I've experienced was the ABS kicking in as I was braking (couldn't grip the ground) - and that was driving through rural area where snowplowing is seldom. Other than that, I've been driving like it's summer in city and highway. Theses tires aren't going to explode at below 0C, lol. It's gonna be 13C tomorrow man, take the Stinger out. Don't be one of those overly protective parents that want to keep their child in a bubble. Follow the motto, "LIVE YOUR DREAM".

18. Frank Degrut

Anyone driving their beauty around in the freezing rain today? Stay safe and let us know how she did/what tires you were using etc

19. saltee

saltee Canada Newish Member

Sauga here, lets do a meet.

20. Szuberi

Szuberi Canada New Member

Hey guys...my name is Sal and I am from Burlington. Just about to get my new Stinger in a few weeks. Very excited to join this forum. We should plan some local meets for the summer for sure!!

Draft saved Draft deleted