Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

GT2 Shifter swap?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by Anden L Schmitt, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Anden L Schmitt

Anden L Schmitt United States Newish Member

Has anyone or does anyone know if I can swap the GT2 shifter + electronic parking button to a shifter like the Gt1 model. I cant stand the parking button nor do I like the fact that I cant manually shift into manual mode, gt2 shift mode is activated by the paddle shifters and than deactivates if no shift happens after 60 seconds, super annoying. I rather like the standard PRND shifters

• Like Like x 1
  2. CeramicGT001

CeramicGT001 United States Member

Its definitely not going to be as simple as just changing the handle out. The entire system is electronic in the gt2 compared to the manual mechanism in the other trims.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Lol, you're swimming against the stream of popular opinion: I haven't heard of a GT2 owner until now who wanted the GT1 shifter (though some do covet manual gate).

I understand that the GT2 shift by wire will remain in a manually selected gear as long as you are in Sport Mode; until you come to a complete stop; then a pull on the paddle (either one, I believe) will engage 1st gear again: or, you just take off in "D" (1st gear) and start upshifting right away and you're back in manual mode until you exit by holding back the right paddle, which returns to "D"; or you come to a complete stop again.

4. Anden L Schmitt

Yup that's what I hate

5. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Well, there ARE those of us who specifically bought a GT1 because of the annoying GT2 shifter.. So, it's not that no one prefers the GT1 shifter - it's just that for those of us who really care about it, we just never bought a GT2 in the first place.

However, the actual physical GT1 shifter is ugly - looks MUCH better with the i30 N shifter in there... And such a quick mod.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Anden L Schmitt

That's what I was hoping to do, but idk ifnits possible.

7. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

The "T" shifter is part of the retro GT concept of the interior. That's why Kia included it in most of the trims.

8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

The GT1 has a mechanical linkage b/w the shifter and the transmission. The GT2 has actuators/servos directly bolted to the transmission, which are controlled by an electronic control system which receives input from the shifter.

If you ripped out the servos and shifter, you could probably rig up a mechanical solution, but I doubt the other control systems would allow the vehicle to operate without the appropriate electrical signals.

You'd be better off trading in your GT2 for a GT or GT1..

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Anden L Schmitt

I think I just cried a little.

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted