Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We're so glad you found us. Please click the button below and become a member!
Register Now
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

GT2 owners; has anyone driven your car yet

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by CO-bound, Jan 11, 2018.

1. CO-bound

CO-bound United States Member

USA
    And if so, did you explain how to use the shifter?

So far the only person to drive my car was the person installing its tint, and just to be safe, I mentioned how the shifter worked when I handed over the key. Probably not necessary but better safe than sorry.

2. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

This is definitely a legitimate concern with the non-traditional shifter. That's GT only, correct? I remember fearing people would have trouble when I had a BMW 750Li years ago. It's very different and if you're not familiar with it - it could be difficult to drive...

3. Taimaishoo

Taimaishoo United States Active Member

Hmmm. Car wash and the dealership. But those two places you would expect them to know a little bit about the shifter since they deal with all sorts of vehicles.

Other than that, unless I'm being driven dragged away by the cops or something, ain't no one driving my baby but me! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. westcoastGT

westcoastGT Canada Stinger Enthusiast

NOBODY !!! I wont let dealers wash my cars either :cautious:

• Like Like x 2
  5. HELLLLLLLL NO! :laugh:

• Like Like x 2
  6. CO-bound

CO-bound United States Member

USA
    Wasn't the 750 the first car with an electronic shifter? I can only imagine how confusing that must have been to first time drivers back then.

And yes, the e-shifter is only a GT2 feature, right now. It's one of the easier ones to use but I'm still a little concerned I'm going to be running late one day and drive into my garage wall, thinking I'm in reverse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. westcoastGT

I freally dont like the P ark button !

8. Kia Stinger

Hehe. Don't do that reverse thing you just mentioned. :p But yeah - I think the BMW 750 was the first car that had this weird shifter. I got used to it very quickly - but it's definitely odd. I'm not sure why so many automobile manufacturers want to copy it...

9. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States Active Member

It’s that or the button setup like Acura or the dial in Jaguar. These days manufacturers are looking to gain more space and with the shifters being mostly electronic, the lever isn’t really needed. We got used to column mounted shifters, then the floor mounted ones, now we have button and dials, in the future we might only need to use our minds to drive. It’s all changing, we will get used to these things, eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kia Stinger

True. Column mounted shifters never bothered me - but I do prefer center console mounted shifters. I think none at all would be fine as well...

11. westcoastGT

When I was a kid , our neighbour had a Barracuda , it was so cool ..............EXCEPT it's push button tranny :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

12. Kia Stinger

The Barracuda was a very cool looking car - but I had no idea it had a push button transmission...

13. iclicku

iclicku United States Active Member

I let my one of my best friends drive the car. He's debating whether to get the Stinger or the WRX STI RA...

You know which one I'm rooting for.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kia Stinger

Sounds like another possible Kia convert who's seen the light! (Unless he/she already owns a Kia)

15. iclicku

Actually, he's owned a few Hyundai's before (Tibruon, Genesis Coupe). So he's not afraid of the Korean brands. He's currently in a Camry and a Nissan Titan. He's looking for something to satisfy his need for speed :p

16. Kia Stinger

Oh, Tiburon. He's old school! :p

17. iclicku

Haha, yeah...and I'm older than him. But those shark gills always made me chuckle on the early Tiburon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kia Stinger

@TuscaniCustoms has a really nice one...

19. redgt

redgt United States Member

CA
    I do like that when you are in drive and have your foot on the brake pressing stop/start button puts the car in park

saves a step

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Jumpy

Jumpy United States Active Member

How is it different? I know it's shift-by-wire, but doesn't it basically function the same way from the user's perspective?

Draft saved Draft deleted