Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

GT2 Headlight Adjustment

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by Mach_Tuck, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

I see a DIY for the 2.0. Any chance anyone has a similar doc for the GT. Specifically, my GT2 LED beams seem WAY low. Light cutoff is hitting ground approx 60ft in front of car on level ground

Can't seem to find an adjustment screw and I
    Really don't want to go to dealer for this. Manual has no info.

Please help.

2. Mach_Tuck

So the up down and left right piece is there but no actual screws at the bottom. Just an empty shaft.

Edit: The L/R shaft is empty. The U/D shaft appears to have a slotted piece at the bottom. However, it feels plastic and won't budge one bit with a screwdriver in either direction. If I twist any harder I'm afraid to break it. Adjustment screws have always turned fairly easily in the past.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  3. JCranford83

JCranford83 United States Member

I too am looking for a way to adjust my GT2 headlights same issue. range is WAY too close on regular headlights for visibility on my car. Just had the car to the dealer and the serve dept person, said their top tech couldn't find any way to adjust... I shared that I thought someone on the forum figured a way, and she then told me how i shouldn't look to the forums because they give people false hope on some issues. WHAT??? Pretty sure i had a look of confusion on my face as i left the dealership. So if anyone has figured out a solution, would love to share it with the local dealership.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mach_Tuck

They have to hook the car up via the CANBUS and code the default setting in. I have been going back and forth with my local dealer on this as well. I have even been in the shop with them to prove there is no MANUAL way of doing this. I did get contacted saying they figured it out and even tested on another GT2 but have yet to be called back to actually schedule the work for my car.

On a side note, another dealer replied and stated "he has never heard of such a complaint and maybe i didnt know what i was talking about?"

5. JCranford83

JCranford83 United States Member

Thanks for your I put...I was gonna try the suggested method myself since my dealer won't even look at forum input.

6. Mach_Tuck

My dealer did confirm they have to be coded. There is no other option. Some AUDI and BMW also have this feature. Its just dumb but thats the way it is. My guess is that they will "fail" low after my warranty expires and then it will be a pretty penny to have the computer code them back to default.

Will update further if/when the dealer calls me back to schedule.

7. Thang

Thang United States Active Member

Lowered my car yesterday on Eibach's. Adjusted my headlights by putting in a long skinny screw driver into the hole labeled U/D and twisted clockwise. It took a large number of turns but the headlight does indeed adjust. I was able to adjust back to pre-lowered height which I marked / labeled using painters tape on my garage wall.

8. Mach_Tuck

Was it difficult to turn the screw at the bottom of the U/D? I felt some resistance at the bottom but the effort required to turn was to a point where i felt something would be stripped. I then concluded it could not be turned.

Even more interesting is that the dealer did confirm with me that the level had to be coded??

Can you confirm you have a GT2 with the LED headlights?

9. Thang

Yes I have a GT2 AWD.

Also, see this super informative post by: @DaJackson

How To Adjust Headlight Beam Height

He adjusted it using the nut. I adjusted using a long skinny screw driver. In each of my last 5 cars, they had a similar setup but was must easier to identify / see.

10. Mach_Tuck

Well...i owe you a beer for this one...that pic that he showed is exactly what i saw down there also and makes sense based on the "feedback" from the screwdriver head i was using.

No F'ing idea how you managed that with a screwdriver. Id much rather adjust using a 12mm ratcheting wrench and will be removing airboxes tonight to make this work.

I def tried this at first but again, it felt like to much force to have to turn so i back off in fear of breaking something . I hope nothing stripped when i attempted this method first.

Whats even more concerning to me is that the kia tech confirmed you had to use the computer. I wonder if you can set it there as well.

Thanks again!!!!

11. Jonathan

Jonathan United States Active Member

Dang, after looking at Jacksons picture, how the heck did a screwdriver work?!

12. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Yeah I have no idea, as soon as I saw that gear thing I gave up the idea of a screw driver.

I haven’t gotten confirmation on this but the GT2 has auto leveling headlights right? If so there is probably a component of it that is controlled through the ECU. My VW could be adjusted by a screw but also could be adjusted through the VagCom.

13. Mach_Tuck

Yep, they are auto leveling...the sensor arm is on the drivers rear suspension. I have had cars that had a "thumb wheel" that could manually adjust also. I am starting to think you can manually adjust these via the method above AND/OR use the Kia version of VagCom.

14. Thang

After adjusting my headlights I noticed that the headlight no longer turns with the steering wheel. Anyone else run into this issue?

15. Mach_Tuck

Is the stalk switch still in auto? Mine dont go left/right when in ON...just AUTO

Draft saved Draft deleted