Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

GT2 AWD stock tire replacement

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by Lawrence Williams, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Lawrence Williams

Lawrence Williams United States Active Member

Hi All! Pilot sport 4's are wearing down.....I've thought about some lower priced offerings but I'm thinking now more mid.
    Any feedback with users of the following:
    NITTO MOTIVO
    NITTO INVO
    HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO2
    FIRESTONE FIREHAWK INDY 500
    looking at wet weather and cornering in particular.

Not tracking my Stinger fwiw
    Also I'm in Sunny (most of the times) South Florida.....

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. Meckman

Meckman United States Member

I had Nitto 555 on my Altima and they were terrible in the rain. I’ve heard similar stories about other Nitto designs. I’ll never go with Nittos anymore for a daily driver car.

When it comes time for me, I’m going with a Conti DW or DWS (if you have snow). I had them on my speed3 and they were great. Only bad thing is they wear rather quick 20-25k miles.

I have heard good things about the Indy 500s, but I don’t have any personal experience.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lawrence Williams

Yeah higher mileage isn't going to be something I can factor in with these thin sidewalls......I also must factor in that I'm 1/2 mile off paved road....so my dirt/gravel road exposure is daily

4. 1RADKIA

1RADKIA United States Active Member

Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Read up on them if you wish. I’ve personally owned 2 sets on prior cars and will be purchasing them for my stinger once these Pilot Sports are worn through. Good for just about any terrain... and I’ve used them on DW &S!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. Lawrence Williams

Good in wet weather? Not too soft?

6. 1RADKIA

1RADKIA United States Active Member

Sure footed in all three! Had them on my MR2 Spyder and they even held grip in the snow. Mine have never gone the full distance by UTOG... but they don’t fall too short of it. I won’t ride on the wear bar as you start losing performance. Tires - the final line between our cars and the road! I won’t settle when it comes to tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada 1000 Posts Club!

DWS is a great all around tire but you're going to give up a lot of dry cornering grip versus a Michelin Pilot Sport 4. It really comes down to how much performance you demand from the tires you're running.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lawrence Williams

I'm not Rockefeller but I'm willing to spend 200/per for higher quality......

9. Meckman

Since you are in FL check out the Conti DW (lose the S) line of tires. Very comparable to the PS 4S.

10. SilverNitr8

SilverNitr8 United States Active Member

Look into BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS. Great reviews on tirerack for all season. Instant confidence on wet roads.

11. Lawrence Williams

Heard they are super noisy however!

12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

I do like the sound of these and the price is right. Our staggered tire sizes are listed at "Y" rated; so there goes my only possible objection. A "Y" (186 MPH+) A/S that is DWS. My Motivos are not touted as "S" worthy. When they need replacing I will definitely look at these Contis.

But for summer driving? An A/S? I wonder if I'd do that? But, they're "Y" rated, so why wouldn't they grip too? Compared to a Pilot Sport? Not going to grip quite like that, but that's not a surprise. I read through quite a few reviews of the Conti Extreme Contact DWS and didn't see any comparison with the Pilot Sport 4 or 4S. So, it remains an open question. Do I want to pay extra and replace more often to boot, just to get a bit more dry road grip with a Michelin? (I get to think about this for a while yet; my Michelins, second set, only went on last August and September:laugh: )

13. Lawrence Williams

Soooooo......this is what I ended up getting! An older model but the technology behind the design, the perceived(reviews) quietness, overall uniqueness and looks sold me without breaking the bank!

Screenshot_20200326-221418_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Purty

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Lawrence Williams

I watched a YouTube vid from 10-12 yrs ago and the concept is still there....not sure if the materials are current.....I've spoken to 5 other Stinger owners who have these and they are all completely satisfied......the saturation of the marketplace for tyres is remarkable. No real right or wrong answer even though the tried and true Michelin pilot sport 4s would have been the safer pick. But stock Sport 4 didn't hold up ; mostly to my own neglect driving down my dirt/gravel street.....ugh......lesson learned

16. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 10000 Posts Club!

The reputation of the PS 4S is that it is a better tire (lasts longer) than the PS 4. I thought I'd try the 4S and see. And, we'll see. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lawrence Williams

Also , me being vain......I going to add raised white letters and the NITTO font is more appropriate .....sorta like this Screenshot_20200326-223338_Facebook.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2Slo4u

2Slo4u United States Member

I’ve had the Conti DWS on two different cars. A FWD Acura TL Type S. They were awesome in wet and snowy weather. I also have them on my Audi S4 as a winter set of wheels in lieu of a true winter tire. Pros : they are awesome in the snow, wet, and good in the dry. Cons : tires tend to flat spot for a few minutes after sitting overnight, they wear like crap. I’ve never been able to get 20,000 miles out of a set.

19. Lawrence Williams

GOT'em! The Nitto INVO Luxury performance tyre is on #YINYANG.....I'll get better pics but here's the footprint:

20200401_132222.jpg 20200401_135601.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Meckman

Let us know how they are in the rain. If they are anything like my 555 I had on my 4cyl Altima they would break loose all the time in the wet. Hope these are better.

Draft saved Draft deleted