Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

GT Headlights

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by Michael F. Levanduski, Mar 5, 2018.

1. I bought a GT2 3 weeks ago [ have 920 miles] and just notice that the headlight lenses are plastic, not even high impact plastic. One of my lens already has chip gouges (3). I am having a hard time with this. I had thought that all high end vehicles got rid of plastic, for obvious reasons, and went to glass. Now I am trying to find out if I can replace these lens and/or headlights for glass. I don't want chipped and foggy headlights. Thinking about trading it in on a Mercedes C43 AMG. I just can't believe they went cheap on headlight lens.

Other than that (and it's a big that) I really enjoy driving my Stringer, but if I can't get glass headlights, I might have to get rid of it.

2. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

.......?? youre kidding right ........9 BMWs , everyone of them had plastic headlight covers . They can be polished to remove chips etc :thumbup: glass is too dangerous , heavy and expensive ...............it might even be illegal for headlights now ??

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  3. jrhodes87

jrhodes87 United States Active Member

Lo

4. No I'm not kidding, my 2012 C250 Mercedes had glass. Also, my lens are gouged, [not high impact plastic] not chipped, it'll take a lot of polishing to get them out - I'm better of getting new lens/or headlights

5. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Can you post a pic of the damage ? Thanks PS heres some info on plastic vs glass headlights that might be helpful /

Plastic Headlights VS Glass Headlights

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Franklin Bing

Franklin Bing United States Member

headlights haven't been made of glass for decades. if you think your 2012 c250 headlights are glass I think you're mistaken. do you mean the fog lights?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Terra

Terra Australia Active Member

Can I ask why did you buy the Stinger and not the AMG C43?

8. robz32

robz32 United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Agreed. Headlights stopped being made from glass in the late 90s. Due to cost reduction, weight savings and more intricate front end designs being done for some cars.

9. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Probably because a C43 with comparable equipment would cost over $65k without giving any performance improvement or additional features and providing quite a bit less space.

10. eflyguy

eflyguy United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

A quick check online shows you can buy replacement acrylic covers for the W204(C250) headlight assembly. Plenty of examples of scratched covers, and repairs. Also plenty of references to glass being almost completely phased out in the 90's. Finally, a friend of mine has a W204, 2011 model, and she checked for me - definitely not glass.

Every car I've owned for at least 20 years has the same, and I've never had more than a small amount of pitting. My Sorento has 54k miles on it, and they are near-perfect.

I'd say you're very unlucky, or following too closely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

That's why I had my headlights coated. I tinted mine, like all of my cars, but your can do it clear. Just a little more insurance

12. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Drive in AZ...pitting is impossible to escape.

I had PPF applied to the stinger. Dealer direct to PPF install. Should mitigate 99% of pitting at least that's my hope.

I am curious however if the lense can be replaced independent of the unit. I fear it's a full sealed unit however. If not, swap t out and swap the orange US reflector for the white euro one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. eflyguy

They are sealed. Have to be, or condensation would form inside..

14. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

My E46 M3 is not a "sealed" type and i have never had any issue with condensation. There is a gasket between the lense the housing. An E90 on the other hand, does have a sealed beam and i often times see condensation therein.

Thanks for the info...only way to open would be to bake it apart and im not about to do that for a reflector color change :thumbup:

15. Weareblondi

Weareblondi United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

my volvos also had clips and a gasket, but,you are correct that the stingers units are sealed.

16. eflyguy

I have never encountered a gasket, but that has me wondering, could you simply make your own after carefully "splitting" a sealed unit?

17. Stung

Stung United States Member

you want to trade in a 3 weeks old $50,000 kia due to headlight covers, can't wait to see the depreciation on this deal

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Active Member

I have a set of gt headlights for sale from my car. They will fit in place of cheap 2.0 headlights.

19. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Active Member

Just got my car out of shop. Be careful guys had front end rock damage from dump truck. 8000 dollars worth of damage. Dam headlights are 1700 bucks a side. They have a few tiny chips can be buffed out.

20. BIGRED

BIGRED Canada Active Member

Ouch! I think we're better off leaving our Stingers parked in the driveway!

Draft saved Draft deleted