Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Getting the Color You Want

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by sym, Apr 28, 2018.

1. sym

sym United States Member

I'm looking for a Ceramic Grey Stinger GT2 with a few extras. I've checked the inventories of all of my local dealers (and even the dealers in a different state where I am currently traveling), and I haven't been able to find one.

This is going to be my first car purchase, so I'm unfamiliar with the process. If a dealer doesn't have a particular configuration is it a big deal for them to tap the inventory of a dealer who does? Does this end up working against you when negotiating the final price? There are currently GT2s in my area with the configuration that I want that are going for $5000 below MSRP. That's a pretty good deal when you factor in the lease cash expenses as well.

I'm also uncertain if the Ceramic Grey is a highly popular (and thus quickly sold) color, or unpopular (and not many were made). It's definitely my favorite though and I don't think I want any other color.

Thanks for the help!

2. Yeah, had a hard time finding mine as well...only one in SFL at the time.
    Not sure where you are located but, Bev Smith KIA has one available at 50k.
    Terrible dealer...maybe they can trade between dealers...
    • STOCK: 180853
    • VIN #: KNAE55LC8J6023709
    • EXTERIOR: Ceramic Silver
    • INTERIOR: Black w/Nappa Leather Seat Trim
    • DRIVETRAIN: AWD

• Like Like x 1
  3. sym

sym United States Member

I thought the Ceramic Silver GT2s only came with a red interior. I don't even think you can build them with a black interior on Kia's site.

I'm in Ohio but I go back and fourth to AZ a every month or so. I wouldn't be opposed to driving it back, especially since I've heard all of the Stingers in the Northeast have the 18" all seasons (with associated speed limit). The speed limit doesn't mean anything to me but if it might for a future owner.

Thanks for the help.

4. eflyguy

eflyguy United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

The ceramic silver comes on the GT1 with black leather, and GT2 with red.

5. Leftlane

Leftlane United States Active Member

As an old car guy (sales manager) I can tell you that it is not hard for dealers to do trades or access others inventory. But I will point out that you will always get your best deal on inventory in stock!
    If you are looking for a basic mass production car, then no big deal. But on a special high demand car in a hot demand color, it will be more difficult to get the car and a great deal. If possible, find the car you want and go to that dealer direct.
    Be prepared to negotiate... don’t trade if you can avoid it, don’t get focused on payments (get own finance if possible) and talk strictly sales price.
    Be prepared to walk away, they will not let a deal escape if they are making a profit.
    I also love the Ceramic gray with White being my other option. Can’t decide between black or red leather.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sym

sym United States Member

Thank you. I have an appointment set up with the dealership next weekend. They claim to have that color / trim available but they might have checked for nearby dealerships as it isn't shown on their website.

This is my first car purchase from a dealer. I'm bringing someone with me for guidance and accountability. I'll keep this updated.

• Like Like x 1
  7. scharn

scharn United States Active Member

I just spent 2.5 months getting that exact config car... in california there was none. I ended up writing a script to scrap the data from Kia's website (where you build the car and then put the zip code) to find the one I wanted in the country. I actually ended up speaking to a Kia rep and asking him about allocation. Ceramic silver, gt2, RWD; was actually fairly rare, and most of what they produced went to southern states like texas. I ended having to get mine for auburn alabama. He told me they were making adjustments as they learned that in some areas people didn't want awd.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StingerNYC

StingerNYC United States Active Member

My dealer didnt have it but we agreed on a great deal Nd they said it would be no problem getting from another dealer. Two weeks later he said they struck out everywhere and no dealer wanted to give up their ceramic silver gt2. I ended up canceling with them and driving 200 miles to get it myself.

• Like Like x 3
  9. BruhWhoTips

BruhWhoTips United States New Member

The ceramic is tough to locate. There are 11 coming to Texas soon. 3 are going to Houston and the rest to North Texas (Dallas and surrounding areas). 4 will hit the Dallas area around May 8th/9th (currently at Port). The rest will arrive early June (currently at sea). I didn't have the patience to wait so i went with the sunset yellow. Good luck!

10. Jeff stern

Jeff stern United States New Member

I just leased the 2018 GT2 Ceramic silver, my local dealer had 2, found another one In Georgia. You won't see the $6500 rebate on the 2019's until almost the model year end. Re-badged the car from Items on Sal's site. Re-badgeing is a must. Good Luck

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. coffeemug230

coffeemug230 United States Newish Member

We got lucky - after our dealer couldn't make a trade for this configuration (plus we wanted factory installed 19 inch wheels so even rarer) We were going to pull the deposit but then the district manager got involved and allocated us one coming into port. We picked it up today its even better IRL

• Like Like x 1
  12. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 1000 Posts Club!

A dealer swap success story, mine: I drove a Stinger on a Friday, researched over the weekend, and went with my wife to the dealership on Monday right after they opened for the day. "If this goes down swimmingly, without any hitches in our gitalong," I said to her, "then I will know it is meant to be. But if we hit snags and it starts to feel wrong, we are out of there."

We arrived and began the quest for my Stinger (this was a gift from my wife!). After looking around, and a lot of questions, she went for a test drive and came back suitably impressed. She said she was set on Silky Silver because it would mask our winter road grime the best. (I couldn't have my "Orange", because KIA doesn't offer it, blah; and the Yellow out front was a GT, sans sunroof and 15 speaker surround sound, two must-haves in my book.) So I acquiesced to her wishes. The dealer didn't have a Silky Silver GT1 in AWD (another must-have, our winters are often terrible). He quickly did some calling around and voila! he found one. In minutes he had arranged a trade. Our salesman took the trade car and came back with our Silky Silver. And everything went down like clock work. That afternoon, I drove away in my new alone place, the happiest camper in the Salt Lake Valley.

So color is very much a secondary thing for me, obviously. The car is like a ghost machine. It sits under our carport innocuously, if that is even possible for a Stinger. I like the comparative anonymity: yellow, blue, red of course, and that mythical orange would have shouted to every passerby.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Helo58

Helo58 United States Active Member

Don't forget the GT in Ceramic Silver with black leather.

14. 12BRAVO

12BRAVO United States New Member

How hard was that to do?

Looking for a Snow White GT1 w/Red Leather and there aren't any available in AZ. Dealers here don't seem to be that interested in putting the effort to locate one elsewhere.

15. Helo58

Helo58 United States Active Member

Readers keep in mind that there are combinations available that you cannot configure on the KIA website. Mine (Base GT in Ceramic Silver) is not configurable on the KIA website. Only Silky Silver is available. I came across it and thought it was a website error until I looked at the window sticker. Before I purchased it, the dealer informed me that it was custom ordered for a staff member at the dealership who ended up going with a higher trim level.

If you have a local dealer who is selling Stingers well, they may be able to order combinations not allowed on the KIA build/price tool. I doubt they have a ton of flexibility but it would be cool to see a couple of owners score a GT1 with a limited slip diff. Personally, I would have liked to score the ventilated seats...:thumbup:

Draft saved Draft deleted