Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Getting a Stinger

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by kevin, Mar 26, 2018.

1. kevin

kevin United States Member

Hello to all! I am new on the forum. I own a 2014 Blue SX Turbo. Still have some negative equity in It, and I am striving to get a Stinger by July August?? Any good ideas on getting the best Trade in on the Optima ? And also, does being a Kia Owner currently have any benefits from Kia or Kia Financial? I have perfect payment history on the Optima for 4.5 years. Just trying to get the best deal like all of you guys on here. My Optima is fully loaded SX Turbo with 58,000. I owe 19,300 on it. Car has one carfax for right side collision, however... it has been fixed to the top level and you can’t even detect the prior damage. Car looks mint and is ceramic coated. Looks better then new! Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Euljiro1ga

Euljiro1ga Active Member

Welcome to the forum! glad you joined us.

I am not in the US, so I can't help you much with trade in and such. Please tell us your location, perhaps those in the area can help.

3. thewevel

thewevel United States Newish Member

I'd guess you're probably 7-10k upside down...that's high if you want to do something by July to August. You could maybe use the lease cash to eat up some of that negative equity but don't go over 36 months, and don't expect a cheap lease payment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaggystinger

shaggystinger United States Active Member

Everyone's financial situation is different but I agree with thewevel on this one. Between your negative equity and the carfax report, your trade is not going to be worth that much. If you are comfortable with a high lease payment then by all means go for it. If not, I would probably hold off until I could put a sizeable down payment on the Stinger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kevin

Well, thanks guys for the help. My intention is to make 4 more payments on it to bring it down to 16,500... I am gonna hope I can get around 13,500 for the trade in?? I see 2013 SX Optimas going for more then that on clean trade in. In addition, I was gonna put down around 3800$ cash and I have located several Gt2 in Va. for around 47,500. If I finance it for 84 months?? I can get around the same payment I have now. I have been paying 860$ a month to knock it down some. Does Kia look out for Current Kia vehicle owners?

6. kevin

And btw. I reside in Va. there are multiple GT2 versions available! I can count over 100 around me. I am willing to drive to get one. They are not moving at all in my area. I have been monitoring the sales since car delivery at dealers. I think only a few have been sold

7. shaggystinger

shaggystinger United States Active Member

I hear ya! I'm in MD and been doing the same as you. I'm waiting until the fall when the 2019's come in and some of the hype calms down. GT1's are more in my price range now but as the GT2's sit on the lots, I might be able to snag a good deal on a 18' GT2 as the dealers try to make way for the '19 's. Try your best (and it's hard) to be patient and you too shall be stung soon enough :thumbup:

8. thewevel

Whatever you do, don't do 84 months. How's your credit? Check on myfico.com, don't check via one of the free ones like CreditKarma or CreditSesame. MyFico is the only real, legitimate place to check your score and you have to pay for it. It's $20 per bureau but it will match whatever the dealer will pull. They always have 20% off coupons so look for one before you buy. Check your Fico Auto 08 score, most dealers are using that now.

There's two ways to do this, and neither involve an 84 month loan. Way #1- take your credit score that you got from MyFico, and go to a credit union and get the absolute lowest rate you can on a 60-72 month loan by shopping around. Way #2- do a 36 month lease, take advantage of the bonus cash, use part of your downpayment money on the drive off costs, then use the rest to pay for your monthly lease payment for a couple of months. I wouldn't recommend using your down payment money on the lease but if you're trying to get costs down and you don't plan on wrecking the Stinger any time soon, you could go that route. Just whatever you do, don't do an 84 month loan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kevin

What is wrong with an 84 month loan? As long as predime rate is good, there is no issue.

10. thewevel

Interest rates are less favorable on longer term loans, so you'll be upside down a lot longer. We're already talking about a guy wanting to trade in a car he's 7-10k upside down on for something newer. Imagine, if you will, how upside down he will be on a higher interest rate, 84 month loan after 3-4 years? Kia is projecting the residual in the low 50% range on the Stinger after 36 months. It may be higher or it most likely will be lower. At least with a lease after 36 months, you can get something else or buy out your lease.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. STNGRNV

STNGRNV United States Active Member

What thewevel said. 84 months is very risky financially. Many financial people advise that if you can't pay a car off on 3.5 years, then you can't afford it. I definitely wouldn't do a over 60 months (and even that will ha you upside down).

If it were me and I just had to have a Stinger, I would try to sell the Optima privately, eat the loss, and start from scratch. You'd probably get more than the trade in. Some dealers will work with you on the trade in if you bought it from them, but I don't know of any Kia loyalty incentives.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  12. kevin

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the input. I am gonna keep all peeps updated on the forum. I need to get the car traded in before the end of the year, the car will drop even more in value. I already had the lady at the bank give the The bank numbers on trade for the Optima I own. She even gave me the penalty drop in dollars for more mileage then I have currently. And for those people on the forum that haven’t driven the car?? I can tell you all about it. It’s extremely extremely nice!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

I traded in a 17' Optima for my Stinger. The dealership gave me $500 off for being a Kia owner. I didn't have to use their financing.

I'm not sure if that's a Kia thing or just something the dealership did to move the process along.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kevin

Nice to know. What model did you get ? What is your payment

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jimjonesaloha

Jimjonesaloha United States New Member

Yes , please tell us more if you can with some details ??? I have a 17 Kia forte and I really been thinking about trading it for a stinger or just waiting for my lease to end .

• Like Like x 1
  16. Eugene Onegin

Eugene Onegin United States Active Member

Kevin If I were you in your situation I would not be thinking about a new car but its easy for me to say I'm older .

17. kevin

Good morning to all, I wanted to share an update with my situation with everyone. I am getting close to making the purchase of the Stinger 2 Trim. I am speaking with a dealer in Va. and he has provided a written price referral for the car specked out the way i want, included with remote start. I am looking for opinions and advice on this forum that is my intention of this post. Please feel free to comment on the details, and thanks in advance for all the information. Only goal with the post is to obtain more input prior to purchase so i can get the best deal. Car would be financed through my choice of Credit union.

Price Quote
    Kia Stinger GT-2 Trim With Remote Start

Sale Price $45945
    Freight $940
    Sales Tax $2054
    Tags $63
    Total $49704

18. Thang

Thang United States Active Member

Wow that's an insane deal! I'd go the lease to buyout route. $45945 - lease cash would be sweet.
    I only got a $3,000 discount off of MSRP off of my Stinger GT2 AWD drive last month.
    I did the lease to buy out which gave me an additional $7,000 lease cash discount.
    Ended up paying $48972.54 all together.

19. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

I paid 65000 AUD which is 52000USD so you have done well! Mine is the GT or in your country the GT2. We get the wireless charger and 360 camera tho.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted