kia stinger store

General questions about Kia Stinger

baws22489

Newish Member
So I bought a GT1 this past weekend and then came here and see people are having some issues with the cars? So I've been wondering a couple things.

1) Are these vehicles dependable to drive 15-20K a year as everyday back and forth car to work?
2) Are the problems people have with the brakes/rotors because they drive them hard or race them?
3) Is Kia a pain to deal with only on the stinger or every Kia car?
4) Since the G70 is same vehicle basically, do they have the same issues that are posted here?
5) Will these cars last 100k or more or its too early to tell since they haven't been around long enough?

I have another vehicle I can drive to work about 100 miles a day so if I need to baby this I can, just trying to get my expectations lined up. Thanks for any response!

Steven

n8hegr8

i baby mine and i have a few problems. stuff like a window doesnt go up or down anymore, the start stop quit working, weird screech when i turn off the car. only 3700 miles.
my brakes have been great so far, but the stinger i had before this one the brakes would grind and the hatchback would rattle badly.
my experience with kia directly was not good, their customer care took two months to call me back. i got put on hold a lot and then spoke to people whom we couldnt understand each other.
kia dealership on the other hand, the one i go to, they just want to get you in and out. if you need anything other than an oil change, you have to wait a month or longer for a "special kia tech". i still love my stinger regardless, best car ive driven.

Dess

Newish Member
So I bought a GT1 this past weekend and then came here and see people are having some issues with the cars? So I've been wondering a couple things.

1) Are these vehicles dependable to drive 15-20K a year as everyday back and forth car to work?
2) Are the problems people have with the brakes/rotors because they drive them hard or race them?
4) Since the G70 is same vehicle basically, do they have the same issues that are posted here?
5) Will these cars last 100k or more or its too early to tell since they haven't been around long enough?

I have another vehicle I can drive to work about 100 miles a day so if I need to baby this I can, just trying to get my expectations lined up. Thanks for any response!

Steven
1. Yes, definitely. Just stay up on maintenance. Turbo engines like their Oil Changes regularly.
2. I've never experienced them at 35k, so it's hit or miss. Brakes are a wear item and I plan to look aftermarket on some materials.
3. It depends. Coming from a Lexus or Porsche? Kia is awful. Coming from a Mazda or GM? It's not that bad. Don't expect a "premium" treatment though.
4. Would check G70 forums.
5. There are some very high mileage examples on here. As mentioned before, just stay up on maintenance and you should expect it to last past 100k. That goes for most any vehicle. Treat your vehicle well and it will likely do the same.

vipeboy2000

Stinger Enthusiast
Middle Tennessee

Steven
have a 2020 and have over 17k miles on it now, no issues as should be expected.
2. i'm pretty average on braking i think but don't do much interstate stop and go so maybe that's why i have no brake issues yet regarding deposits.
3. my family has had kia since 2005 and had some mediocre experiences with 2 of the 5 dealers we have worked with. The most recent ones have been great! far superior to the local to me toyota dealer is..
4. some of the issues yes, it won't have the hatch rattle obviously. which on that note, after adjustment and washers, i haven't had a hatch rattle in the past 10k miles.
5. i'd say of course as long as you do your maintenance and aren't drag stripping the car every weekend. There probably aren't many examples of 100k+ miles of the 3.3 TT but i've seen plenty of clean examples of the stinger/g80/g90 with the 3.3tt in the 80,90k mile range..

new kia badge emblem logo
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Let me help. :D

Over 45K miles and over 3.5 years: not a single issue, no extraneous noises (well, other than the creak at slow speeds which emanates from the aftermarket Eibach sway bar I put in front: the back one, a year and a half older, has never emitted a single sound), no failed parts or finishes (the dark chrome trim over the windows and alongside the hatch window do get spotted: mine only showed up after three years, and only lightly: I was watching for it after reading about discoloration and some of the worst horror stories about the clear coat flaking off with your fingernails! :eek:: and being on top of it, I have, so far, been able to keep the trim looking nice): everything works as well as when everything was brand new, 100%: the drive experience is as fun today as Day One. I welcome questions, if you have any more. :thumbup:

baws22489

Newish Member
Let me help. :D

Over 45K miles and over 3.5 years: not a single issue, no extraneous noises (well, other than the creak at slow speeds which emanates from the aftermarket Eibach sway bar I put in front: the back one, a year and a half older, has never emitted a single sound), no failed parts or finishes (the dark chrome trim over the windows and alongside the hatch window do get spotted: mine only showed up after three years, and only lightly: I was watching for it after reading about discoloration and some of the worst horror stories about the clear coat flaking off with your fingernails! :eek:: and being on top of it, I have, so far, been able to keep the trim looking nice): everything works as well as when everything was brand new, 100%: the drive experience is as fun today as Day One. I welcome questions, if you have any more. :thumbup:
thank you.

I actually work from home most of the time now so have only driven it twice since I got it Saturday. But the last time I was pulling in the garage very slow when i pushed the brake to stop and before I could put it in park the auto shutoff kicked in and the motor cut off and then when I moved the gear shift to park it started back up. I have read many people have issues with the auto-shutoff so didn't want to start another thread. I plan to push the disable button each time I drive it and hope to not have any issues!

Have you had anything like that happen as it freaked me out at the time?

n8hegr8

"when i pushed the brake to stop and before I could put it in park the auto shutoff kicked in and the motor cut off and then when I moved the gear shift to park it started back up"

exactly what happened to me, then mine stopped working altogether. and now i hear a funny screech sound when shutting off the car. ive got an appt on the 12th to have it looked at.

i dont like start stop anyway, thought it was cool at first, but once they get it working again, im just going to turn it off.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
when i pushed the brake to stop and before I could put it in park the auto shutoff kicked in and the motor cut off and then when I moved the gear shift to park it started back up.
That is normal. But auto start stop is just an annoyance in my opinion. Something manufacturers use so they can claim another 1 or 2 MPG. I have gotten in the habit of disabling it as soon as I start my car.

Almost every "issue" I've seen on here with auto start/stop is because people don't understand how it works. They see the light is orange in the dash and the car isn't shutting off at a red light and think it is malfunctioning, when in reality, it means that auto start/stop is on, but the car cannot be shut off at that moment because not all of the requirements are being met.

baws22489

Newish Member
That is normal. But auto start stop is just an annoyance in my opinion. Something manufacturers use so they can claim another 1 or 2 MPG. I have gotten in the habit of disabling it as soon as I start my car.

Almost every "issue" I've seen on here with auto start/stop is because people don't understand how it works. They see the light is orange in the dash and the car isn't shutting off at a red light and think it is malfunctioning, when in reality, it means that auto start/stop is on, but the car cannot be shut off at that moment because not all of the requirements are being met.
So if i push the button to disable the auto stop then it should act as a normal car does and not turn off at stop lights if the condition is met and not turn off when I'm parking in the garage and putting it into park if teh conditions are met?

I think it was you who posted a long listed of conditions that have to be met before it will or wont shut off and that was very helpful, thank you.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

JSolo

Stinger Enthusiast
Chicago
I hate the auto shut off too. It's the first thing I turn off after starting the car. On longer/backroad trips the forward collision crap gets turn off too.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
So if i push the button to disable the auto stop then it should act as a normal car does and not turn off at stop lights if the condition is met and not turn off when I'm parking in the garage and putting it into park if teh conditions are met?

I think it was you who posted a long listed of conditions that have to be met before it will or wont shut off and that was very helpful, thank you.
yeah if you push the button near the cup holders and the light by the button is illuminated, the car will not shut off when stopped, and the light in the gauge cluster will never appear. I may have posted that list in another thread, but after 600 posts, you start to forget some haha.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I'll just add that I also push ISG (Idle Stop and Go) OFF (light on) as the first thing I do after starting the car. ISG (Idle Stop and Go) is annoying, and I can't believe that starting the engine that many extra times has no affect on the life of the starting system.
thank you.

I actually work from home most of the time now so have only driven it twice since I got it Saturday. But the last time I was pulling in the garage very slow when i pushed the brake to stop and before I could put it in park the auto shutoff kicked in and the motor cut off and then when I moved the gear shift to park it started back up. I have read many people have issues with the auto-shutoff so didn't want to start another thread. I plan to push the disable button each time I drive it and hope to not have any issues!

Have you had anything like that happen as it freaked me out at the time?

rpoffen

California
I'll just add that I also push ISG (Idle Stop and Go) (Idle Stop and Go) OFF (light on) as the first thing I do after starting the car. ISG (Idle Stop and Go) (Idle Stop and Go) is annoying, and I can't believe that starting the engine that many extra times has no affect on the life of the starting system.
I hate the ISG (Idle Stop and Go) as well, I installed the ISG (Idle Stop and Go) memory module from Shark Racing and it works perfectly. I never have to deal with it again.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

adauria

Startup routine:
- Start the car
- Disable ISG (Idle Stop and Go)
- Set mode to Smart (or Sport if I'm feeling it)
- Seatbelt
- Good times!!

-Andrew

NIU_Huskies

i baby mine and i have a few problems. stuff like a window doesnt go up or down anymore.
@n8hegr8 What was the problem with your window? Did you get it fixed by Kia? If so, how long did it take.

I ask because my left backseat window no longer goes down, as of today. I press the window button down and I hear the actuator inside the door make noise but the window won't go down. My other three windows work just fine though.

n8hegr8

@n8hegr8 What was the problem with your window? Did you get it fixed by Kia? If so, how long did it take.

I ask because my left backseat window no longer goes down, as of today. I press the window button down and I hear the actuator inside the door make noise but the window won't go down. My other three windows work just fine though.
same thing mine is doing. you can hear the sound like it wants to. my appt isnt until oct 26 or 27 i already forgot, thats when they are going to look at it. also, check your window lock button, that also quit working when the window quit working.

NIU_Huskies

same thing mine is doing. you can hear the sound like it wants to. my appt isnt until oct 26 or 27 i already forgot, thats when they are going to look at it. also, check your window lock button, that also quit working when the window quit working.
Darn, is your's the same window too or a different one? I would assume all the window actuators are the same in all four doors so seems odd that it would only occur in the same left, rear door. Makes me think the other door actuators will also go bad at some point.

I need to make a phone call to the dealership tomorrow to see the soonest they can get me in and check my car. I'm sure they will need to order parts, if the actuator is defective. Which based on all the worldwide shortages probably means a month or so just to get simple parts from Korea.

n8hegr8

Darn, is your's the same window too or a different one? I would assume all the window actuators are the same in all four doors so seems odd that it would only occur in the same left, rear door. Makes me think the other door actuators will also go bad at some point.

I need to make a phone call to the dealership tomorrow to see the soonest they can get me in and check my car. I'm sure they will need to order parts, if the actuator is defective. Which based on all the worldwide shortages probably means a month or so just to get simple parts from Korea.
same window, back left.
the window shouldnt go out this soon, ive probably rolled it up and down 5 times in its life, car only has 3800k.

NIU_Huskies

same window, back left.
the window shouldnt go out this soon, ive probably rolled it up and down 5 times in its life, car only has 3800k.
I hear ya. Mine is a 2019 GT2 AWD and I only have 11,400 miles on it in the nearly 2 years I've owned it. I think I've maybe had people sit in the back two times so those rear windows don't get used much.