Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Gear shift problem

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by DenisG, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DenisG

DenisG Australia Newish Member

Intermittently I find that changing into D or R, it drops into N
    Can cause problems sometimes especially in car parks
    Anybody else have the same problem. My 2.0 GT line only done 5600km's

2. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Sounds like a minor cable adjustment. Warranty check. Make sure you press the button on the shifter.

3. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

Funny you should post this.
    This morning after sitting in gawd awful traffic for more then an hour, I drove into work and pulled into a parking spot. Did like I always do, shift to park, pushed the Engine Start/Stop button and took my foot of the break and then wondered why the car next to me was backing up without a driver. Only to realize it was me rolling backwards. Looked at the dash, and it was telling me to put the car in park. I looked at the gear shifter and it WAS in park. Was a bit scary.

I had to shift back to drive and then back to Park for it to register the car was in park. First time for this, and I keep looking out the window from my office to make sure the car is still in it's spot.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

GT2?

5. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

2.0t Premium

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. mldavis2

The owners manual says not to use Park without also engaging the Parking brake.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Kazz

Kazz United States Stinger Enthusiast

I have a GT2 and have thought I'd put the car in Park or D or R and gotten Neutral a few times. I'm used to slapping at a stick, I guess. I've become much more deliberate after I've had a couple of near-issues.

8. mldavis2

Yes, you definitely need to "think" when changing directions with the DBW shifter. That's one reason I wanted a GT1 instead of a GT2 although I am getting used to the fancy shifter. I just have to remember that it's always parked in the middle of the PRND(L) range instead of the top.

9. DenisG

Thanks. I do press the button on the shifter.Calling in to dealer today to book in for Warranty check

• Like Like x 2
  10. DenisG

Visited my Dealer Kia Mornington. Only need to press the button on the shift when putting into R and there is a slight lag. Don't need to press button when shifting into D. Resolved.

11. Kazz

I just realized today that my problem is not releasing the button quickly enough when shifting into Reverse. If I'm late I end up in Neutral.

12. Trillium

Trillium United States Newish Member

Have you had any issues since? I find that My GT2 tends to slip to N from both R and D on seldom/random occasions. In order to get the car to engage in D, I have to place the car in Park and try again. I haven't taken it to the dealership as it doesn't replicate easily and I don't want them to think I'm crazy....

13. Sensibly Spirited Driver

Sensibly Spirited Driver United States Active Member

This sounds quite troubling. Interesting that it's the 2.0L. Hopefully it can get sorted quickly. And, as another poster mentioned, always use the parking break when parking. I miss having an ebrake stick. For a high performance car, you should have an ebrake that you can engage while driving. Let us know what happens at the dealer.

14. DenisG

Yes,every now and then get N. I hold for a second or two and make sure the D or R is in the bottom section .

15. Trillium

Trillium United States Newish Member

I'm hoping to get the car to the dealership in the next couple weeks. I'll post an update if I learn anything useful.

16. BlueGT

BlueGT China Member

I’ve hade it happen a few time as well.

17. DenisG

Cable?? It's electronic !

• Like Like x 2
  18. mldavis2

Sorry, not familiar with NZ trim nomenclature. Saw the 2.0 and was thinking of the 2-liter. If it is actually the top trim level (GT2 equivalent) then yes, it is a solenoid shifter. The top is nice and flat and slightly padded so it's a good armrest at times, but it is also easy to move the arm and drop into N if you aren't paying attention. I've done it.

19. Kazz

Something I've been working on, besides being a bit more deliberate about moving the shifter, is to concentrate on releasing the lock button when pushed forward (Drive), or back (Reverse). It's all about when you release the lock button on the side of the shifter, I think.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mldavis2

Yes, too fancy and not necessary IMHO. That's one reason I initially tried to get a GT1. I'm getting used to it.....

Draft saved Draft deleted