Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by StingerSteelers, Aug 10, 2019.

1. StingerSteelers

StingerSteelers United States New Member

I went on a 3 hour cruise Kia really down played hwy milege on Stinger Gt base on 55mph the say 25 mpg i was doing near 32 mpg.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SKStinger

SKStinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

So many factors impact fuel economy though. Like elevation, wind, weight, fuel quality, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. StingerSteelers

StingerSteelers United States New Member

Yes but they test cars in ideal conditions

4. Rob M

Rob M United States Active Member

The hwy dynamometer profile is with engine warm and no AC, so it is somewhat best case. However, the hwy profile is not high speed (starts at 0, maximum of 60 mph, ends at 0) with an average of 48 mph, so it is not representative of a higher speed, steady run like on an interstate. Best fuel economy is typically going to be at the slowest speed where the vehicle is in its highest gear constantly. For the hwy profile, a Stinger will be in 8th gear for at most half the test which results in a reduction of mpg from ideal maximum (maybe 55mph or so). Much slower, and the transmission shifts to a lower gear, much faster and aerodynamic drag penalizes fuel economy. So after running the hwy test, the EPA reduces the mpg down by 22% for the official number to consider "real world conditions". That's why it can seem really easy to beat the hwy estimate. Also consider that Kia is using the more agressive driving modes (such as Sport) for the test so the transmission will spend more time in lower gears.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. thatredstinger

thatredstinger United States Newish Member

I had my best run yesterday. New York to Rhode Island - 200 miles on the dot. Got a solid 28.7 MPG with ECO mode engaged the majority of the trip. (Note: this is right after a fresh oil change too and with AC on for some of it.)

6. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

Cruise control, highway, 65 mph, I always get low 30s. My best on a 2 hour drive is around 34 indicated on a warm night.

7. Bigjohnb20

Bigjohnb20 United States Member

Just took my first little road trip in the stinger this weekend. ~2.5hrs and 150+ miles. Mostly hwy at 70-80mph but a couple slow downs for traffic or stop lights going through smaller towns. Trip computer still was calculating out at 30.4 mpg. Had me, my wife, and 3yo and our weekends worth of stuff. Not loaded to the gills but not empty either. I was pretty impressed. We did a very similar drive a few weekends ago in my wifes 4 banger Kia sportage and I think only averaged high 20s.

8. Gargamel

Gargamel Sweden Active Member

How can you guys have to good milage?
    When i calculate what i have with my car
    Fuel economy:
    avg: 11.88 L/100km 19.8 MPG
    min: 10.19 23.08 MPG
    max: 13.26 17.74 MPG

9. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

Don't drive it like a goon all the time and keep it at 55mph. You'll get at least rated spec for milage.

I don't think most people (me included) bought this car to *not* drive it like a goon all the time, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gargamel

Gargamel Sweden Active Member

I dont speak FreedomUnit(tm). I speak metric. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 19GT-AWD

19GT-AWD Active Member

23.3 mpg per vehicle monitor over combined 4,000 miles.

This supports the window sticker's 20/17/25 figures, so common sense dictates they are correct. Common sense rocks ...

12. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

My typical drive to work. GT2 AWD

20190807_065517.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Aarvix

Aarvix United States Active Member

Personal best over a long-ish drive.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

Man, the digital readout is so cheaty. Mine says 32 MPG on my commute, but measuring at the pump gives me 27ish most of the time.

15. MisterMac

There are many who don't understand this, but measuring your mileage at the pump can be very inaccurate. Gas expands and contracts as the temperature changes. The gas station pump speed also impacts your actual fuel tank.

This engine and computer is highly sophisticated at measuring the amount of fuel ir uses.

Food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RUFFSTUFF

RUFFSTUFF United States Active Member

Oh. my. Dear. Lord.

17. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

If I'm being shorted 20% of my gas because of environmental conditions, I'll be very peeved. Lol.

18. MisterMac

Lol, you're not being shorted.

As the temperature rises, gas expands and vis versa. The hotter it is, the less liquid your tank holds comparatively.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. RUFFSTUFF

RUFFSTUFF United States Active Member

MisterMac is applying science from Action Comics.

20. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

On my three day road trip (one way) I expect to get either side of 30 MPG for most of it. I'll keep you informed as I go. I roll on Monday the 19th Instant ...

Draft saved Draft deleted