Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Fuel Tank is Too Small

Discussion in 'Open Letters to Kia Motors' started by Stingkia, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Stingkia

Stingkia United States Member

Very disappointed in Stinger's 15.9 gallon fuel tank. My Kia Optima has an 18.5 tank, which gives me enormous range ... over 100 miles greater than Stinger.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

More fuel = more weight, at least this tank is larger than my old 2013 Sportage, once I fill the Stinger up the computer currently calculates a distance of approx. 540kms based on my current driving style/fuel consumption, so overall I’m pleased with the tank capacity, plenty of fuel stations around if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stingkia

Since gas weighs about 6.2 pounds/gallon, the fuel weight for the very short time the tank is full is insignificant. Of course, a larger tank would weigh a few pounds more also. I would be happy to haul around a few extra pounds of tank for the added convenience.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

I agree. It would be nice to have 500+ mile range in a "Grand Tourer".

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Stingkia

Yep, I admit it. My Kia Optima's large tank has spoiled me. At highway speeds, I can easily get over 600 miles/tank.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

While true, if you're planning to play, you don't *have* to fill the tank. As a GT car, it would be nice to be able to drive all day without stopping, if you choose..

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SilverNitr8

SilverNitr8 United States Active Member

Kind of disappointment. Every time I gas it up, my range is 299 miles. My wife's elantra gets more than that.

8. Stingkia

A
    An Audi A4's tank is even smaller.

9. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

Speak for yourself. :p
    20181002_072249.jpg

On the original topic though, it really does need another 2-3 gallons. The tank only shows 15, and that's a pretty big chunk missing as 'reserve fuel'.

• Like Like x 2
  10. niko

niko United States Active Member

What model stinger do U have? I can never get that much most I ever got was 320miles until empty!

11. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

RWD GT. That was a highway tank with 29 MPG though, and I basically cheat on mileage by living in BFE, where I have literally 0 traffic. My average is 25.6 MPG and a 370ish mile tank reading.

I track it here on Fuelly: Stinger V6 (90% Highway) (Kia Stinger) | Fuelly

If you go by that, I'm the most economical V6 Stinger driver in the world. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. hummus

hummus United States Member

Maybe Kia wants us to make more visits to the gas station to help increase sales. The thing looks smashing under those lights.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

I just sold my 16' Optima. It was stunning how long you could cruise in that car. I nearly made it from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale on one tank. I really thought the gas gauge had malfunctioned.

I filled up the other day (full tank) and started laughing wildly wondering what I had done! The Optima was the first car I bought that was able to see over 10MPG (tons of modded 10 sec sedans, offroad trucks, etc). Needless to say, I didn't care about gas mileage when I was getting 35MPG in Eco mode on the highway. I am starting to care now, and I never thought I would!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stingkia

My
    My '15 Optima always showed about 525 miles remaining after fill-up. But straight hwy driving could easily beat that.

15. Callum

Same results. Eco mode, and smart cruise I could easily see 600+ miles out of a tank.

16. Gferg01

Gferg01 United States Member

Agreed on small tank. Very annoying. My Maxima had an 18 gallon tank. This 15 gallon tank is killing me. I'm gassing up once a week. Sometimes sooner.

17. Aquadog

Aquadog United States Active Member

Would you rather drive your wife's Elantra .

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Callum

My fiance has a 2014 Civic EXL, max cruising range is 514 miles. I'd rather stop a few extra times and make up that time in speed in the Stinger!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Aquadog

Aquadog United States Active Member

We didn't buy this thing for fuel mileage. But overall not complaining about the fuel mileage, averaging 24/26 on road trips, and no we're not doing 55 , it's moor like 75/85 range . The small gas tank did bother me when we first got it but we've gotten over it. We're now going on 10 months and really have enjoyed the stinger it's all about the fun factor .

• Like Like x 1
  20. SilverNitr8

SilverNitr8 United States Active Member

Absolutely.........NOT lol. I just wished it had bigger tank so I can drive it for longer periods without having to slow down and stop for gas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted