Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Fuel System Cleaner

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by init3, Jul 12, 2018.

1. init3

init3 United States Member

What are your guys thoughts on using something like this?

I searched our forums and haven't found much on this topic.

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States Stinger Enthusiast

I seem to recall reading in the manual that additives and cleaners are not recommended. Why would you even think that your brand new car needs a cleaner? Not for many years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada Active Member

Actually, Service 2 on the Kia maintenance schedule I got from the dealer has adding Kia fuel system treatment as one of the items. As our climate is considered severe service, service 2 is at only 12 months. :unsure:

4. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Dealer did my 10,000kms Service last week & used “Genuine Fuel Additive (Injector Cleaner)”
    It surprised me but if Kia use it who am I to argue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Active Member

No.

These cars are brand new. Use top tier gas (google it) ALWAYS.

Can I sell you some blinker fluid? lol...

Do not get upsold.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. eflyguy

eflyguy United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

I'd worry more about the muffler bearings, they're not made like they used to be!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. StingerNYC

StingerNYC United States Active Member

upload_2018-7-13_10-55-54.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States Stinger Enthusiast

Ah, that's the passage (like scripture, it is). Not "many years", but many thousands of miles. And get Kia's recommended brand(s). I wouldn't be using lower grade gasoline anyway, so I don't expect to encounter any engine performance issues.

9. SteveCo

As I'll be doing my own maintenance after having the dealer do the first 6 Mth/6,000 KM (Service 1), I'll be putting in the fuel additive at service 2 (12 Mth/12,000 KM) per the prescribed maintenance schedule - to ensure that all the warranty requirements are met.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Coltt

Coltt Canada Newish Member

At least in the prairies up in Canad it's done every 12,000 with the maintenance packages (2,3 & 4) even if you use premium fuel, build up in the fuel system will still occur just slower and in smaller amounts. While it might not be needed right out of the away, as you put miles on the car it will help

11. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

The Stinger Tech i spoke with at the dealer said they add to the tank and also add to the vacuum system. Tank method cleans the injectors and vacuum method cleans the intake valves...since GDI.

He basically told me it was a commercial version of the SeaFoam fuel system cleaner stuff.

Adding to the vacuum line seems more important for the intake valves in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteveCo

That's the part I'm interested in - fuel additives do nothing for the valves with a GDI system. Kia (and others) had teething problems with this, when it showed up as an issue after GDI vehicles starting racking up some mile.

Interesting that he referenced Seafoam - I used that on a motorcycle with recalcitrant Mikuni carbs and it worked wonders. Thanks for the info - I'll have to give the vacuum/intakes a shot when that service interval rolls around.

13. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States Stinger Enthusiast

Hopefully a Oil Catch Can will mitigate "most" of the intake valve caking but a cleaner into the vacuum would certainly be beneficial. Better than having to walnut peen the valves later on down the road!

14. SteveCo

Here's a useful Seafoam video on the application method for a turbo GDI engine.

15. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia Stinger Enthusiast

It wasn’t an up sell....it’s part of the logbook service, the dealer has to seek approval from the customer to carry out any works above & beyond the stated service. As I was not asked this is part of the service the same as oil & filter change, so I’ll pass on the blinker fluid thanks...:thumbup:

Draft saved Draft deleted