kia stinger store

Fuel guage reliability

I am curious which Guage do you guys find to be more reliable? The actual guage itself or the miles left digital numbers? Ours seems so inconsistent with both that we never know what It actually has in it once it gets below half a tank. It can read 1/8th tank, making us think it needs fuel all the way in to town, then fluctuates to almost half, but the numerical mileage remains the same letting us know we do not have many miles remaining.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I look at the "Range" left. The fuel gauge might as well not be there. I only notice it at random moments.

That’s what I have told my wife to do, she is the one that drives it. I am just baffled at the inconsistency it has though.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
The fuel gauge is just the same old school coil and floating sensor. They are never very accurate or even consistent. I think that the Range left looks more reliable. But I bet it is getting its information from that silly floating sensor.

SafetyPilotCal

Mine is definitely not that inconsistent or flaky. Actually of all the cars I've had, the Stinger seems to be the most consistent.

TheBusch

my Range is always pretty far off. The first half goes down way quicker than the second half. I drive the same route each day, getting a reading of about 20-22MPG after each trip. When I fill up my car, it starts at around 320 miles of range but seems to drop off almost 1.5-2x my actual mileage. Once it gets below 200, it actually reads incorrectly but in the opposite way. Very strange, but I guess it all doesn't really matter.

ChaneRZ

The digital one is pretty accurate.

Marlene

Newish Member
I use accumulated trip screen for more accurate range calculation actually. Resetting it every time I am filling up. I also have a bad habit of topping off the fuel tank, so it contains about 17,5 gallons of fuel, and with the given mpg, I calculate the range myself. I noticed as well, that it adjusts itself through the end of the tank very aggressively, so that when it finally shows 0 miles, it has less than a gallon left I think. (I managed to make 16 miles with 0 range display, such unnecessarily stressful 15 minutes) My record is 475 mi. range on 30 mpg. made possible with warm weather and driving on the right lane on the speed limit.

2020-11-27 19-32-16.JPG

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW

SkinnyKid

Denver Metro
The range meter always seems to just dump mileage. Just this morning it said 98 miles... when I got to work, which is about 10 miles away, it said 78 miles. I always go by the gas gauge itself.

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
Hmmm. Let’s see.
One is an actual measurement of the fuel level in the tank (unless broken as someone above mentioned)...

one is a calculated/algorithm to guess your distance to empty based on many things... driver aggression, previous distances, etc. one should not rely on anything other than the actual fuel level.

but that’s just me. I don’t enjoy running out of gas and having to whore myself out on the side of the freeway.

P22Tyler

Murray, Utah
Mine came from the factory broken and I ran out of gas when it showed just under half. I should have been suspicious that I still had that much gas left after 300 miles on the odometer, but hey I wasn't used to <20 mpg :D
You must have thought you bought the most fuel efficient twin turbo V6 in the world .

P22Tyler

Murray, Utah
The way you drive can greatly affect the prediction on the range. You could lose 20 miles on your 10 mile drive depending on the conditions and how you are driving. You could also make up some on the way home too, it just depends. I will say this is the first car I've ever owned where I've struggled just to get to the rated MPG, I can usually do better than what it's rated for on any other car I've owned. But I didn't buy it for its fuel efficiency so it doesn't bother me.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
I've run mine pretty low on a few occasions, and both the calculated and physical gauges indicated it was time for a fill up. :p

TheBusch

I forgot to get a picture before I filled up but my gauge said 1/4 tank while my mileage was all the way down to 20. I wasn't driving abnormally or anything that day. Judging by how much gas it took and how the usual 7 days had passed, 20 was the closer estimate.

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
I forgot to get a picture before I filled up but my gauge said 1/4 tank while my mileage was all the way down to 20. I wasn't driving abnormally or anything that day. Judging by how much gas it took and how the usual 7 days had passed, 20 was the closer estimate.
Or. Hear me out. You could quantify this by posting exactly how many gallons of petrol you pumped? And include the last fill up mileage and current fill up millage.