Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

For the JB4 which map do I run?

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Kia Stinger Tuning Forum' started by KiaStingerNewb, Nov 29, 2019.

1. KiaStingerNewb

KiaStingerNewb United States Member

I don't have the intake yet, but this weekend I'll likely be installing JB4 with spark plugs+ fuel wires+bluetooth. I am limited to 91 octane (no desire to constantly mix fuel etc and it's all California crap). All I have is a muffler delete. Can I run map 2 right away Terry? Or map 1 until intake, then map 2? Also if I buy a used JB4 off a neighbor for my vehicle... and it comes with bluetooth, do I just need to buy the app for control?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 10:19 AM
  2. Terry@BMS

Terry@BMS United States 1000 Posts Club! Authorized Vendor

3. KiaStingerNewb

How do I know it's running well? Log and then send? I downloaded the mobile app, how do I purchase?

4. Terry@BMS

5. KiaStingerNewb

Hmm. I'm new to tuners like this. More wondering how I'll know it's okay to go to Map 2. Isn't Map 2 usually okay with 91 fuel?

6. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

As Terry said - run with map1 first. If it shows nothing unusual, try map2. My understanding is that if there's a major issue with map2, jb4 will revert to map0 to avoid damage and it will show up in your logs. At which point you don't run with map2 again unless you fix whatever is not working..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of 1000 Posts Club!

Looking at the logs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KiaStingerNewb

Okay so update Terry. In Map 1 I drove for maybe 10-15 minutes, zero issues. Problem is it was only giving me like 1 PSI over stock. The most it hit was 13.5. I noticed almost nothing. This is with zero mods besides muffler delete, because my DIY intake failed. I can't figure out why this Spectre intake from the DIY thread won't fit on mine.

I decided to push it a little and go map 2. It peaks between 16-17 PSI and pulls like a train. In map 2 AFR and everything looked completely normal. No overheating or issues after 10 min of hard driving. Maybe not enough time for something to go wrong? I'm going to try to rectify this intake situation tonight, then keep it on map 2. This is with 91 fuel.

Unless map 1 gets stronger over time with adaptives. Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019 at 8:16 PM
  9. runner1

runner1 Canada Member

Run map 0 and see what baseline is. The back to map one and advise what differences you experienced.

10. Terry@BMS

11. KiaStingerNewb

Will test in AM. For logs do I just do a short drive with full boost etc? Or is there ideal way to collect a log?

12. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Best to do a few WOT runs for adaptation and for enough logs to determine what the ECU is doing/adjusting. Most people do a few 2-5th gear pulls but if speeds are limited try to do a couple WOT pulls from 2nd gear onto a highway and as fast as you can safely go for best results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of 1000 Posts Club!

I usually do 4 WOT pulls from 2nd to 7th gear to adapt the ECU.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KiaStingerNewb

Thanks guys. Do I email to myself? Or is there an easier way to get logs on the forum?

15. KiaStingerNewb

I don't have map 0 logs but it did auto record a few map 1 and map 2 (Or at least 1 each and I may have done others. I'll work on the 0 in a bit, but in map 1 and 2 it did have a few spikes in ignition and AFR+ a couple instances of what may be fuel cut off (Says 3rd limiter), but I'm not sure if they are still in normal range. I'm going to upload 2 map 1's and 3 map 2's due to noticing some differences in them you may wanna view.

Attached Files:

16. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

Your rainbow timing suggests you are running more map than your octane can handle. Other than that looks pretty normal. This was your 30-17 Map 2 file.

newb log 2.JPG

17. KiaStingerNewb

That sucks. Does it mean I can't run map 2 on 91 octane alone? If so, that sucks because map 1 power wasn't too noticable. Does that mean it's prone to detonation? PS I did the .22 gap plugs also. Gotta add a Lucas octane booster every time I'm gonna run map 2?

18. Terry@BMS

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. KiaStingerNewb

With the rainbow timing Bob mentioned no need to add an octane booster? The timing spiked like 4x higher couple times looked like. I got zero codes btw and it seemed to be running really well.

20. Terry@BMS

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted