Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Fix your terrible dealers.

Discussion in 'Open Letters to Kia Motors' started by Tyler Reid, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

Our dealership was just remodeled last year with a very nice lounge with complimentary water, coffee, tea hot chocolate etc..tile floors..it's a nice place now.

2. JustThatPenguin

JustThatPenguin United States Active Member

The dealership I went to was just remodeled too. Glass building. Looked very fancy. Almost luxury dealership. And they had the stinger, cadenza and an SUV in the showroom. I think they had a little area for coffee and such. The sales lady and manager were so friendly and inviting. And never even tried to pressure me or try to upsell me. Even explained all the paperwork so well I didn't have a single question at the end of it. In and out in less than 30min.

My local dealership however, looked like an old k mart. And their offices were also so run down. The "managers desk" was the front reception desk. And even though I was 2 feet away. He was too good to even talk to me directly. Just sat in his chair and said out loud. "If he wants a test drive, tell him to put a $5k deposit down." "Tell him it's not easy to get a car in and out of the showroom." By the way, it took 2 hours to even get to this point because my salesman was too busy trying to sell sub prime loans with base model cars. Guess he didn't think I seemed like the type of person to buy a $50k + car. I guess the blank check from my credit union I had must of been a fake.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

My dealer had my yellow one on the floor and he had a few GT2's out on the lot. I said I wanted to test drive the yellow one and no questions asked, they got the keys to it and the optima they had to move and pulled it off the floor for me. Didn't even ask if I would mind taking one of the ones off the lot. From some stories, I feel blessed to have the dealer we have here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Weareblondi

Weareblondi Canada Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

i know some of these points have been addressed by other forum members, but, when a greek gives you two cents worth of opinion, that is a whole dollars worth. it sounded better in my head....anyway, i have purchased different level cars through a myriad of dealers over the years. all salesmen are salesmen. i don't think the majority of salespeople understand car people. we know what we want, how much it will cost, and won't settle for anything less. we had purchased a juke nismo rs when they were introduced several years ago. mrs wanted black. there was 1 black juke nismo rs in south florida and all the dealers we went to all quoted as saying that they had it. so, we pitched them against each other, since we also knew there was only 1 in south florida. we still laugh about that deal. but, when the mrs and i were looking for a replacement for her mustang, she wanted another mustang. we test drove a california special that was basically a shelby without the name all over it. optioned out the wazoo. price was good, but the mrs was hesitant because the car was loud. a good loud, but it was loud. salesman automatically tried to get her into an ecoboost. she drove it around, she liked it. we went back and forth about it. saleman borrowed the mrs phone and proceeded to take something like 30 pics of her in the car. telling her she looked good, blah blah blah. we said thank you, we will have to think about it. 45 minuted later, after having his mgr and the mgr above that mgr talk to us, cajole us, asking us what we wanted to spend, i hit him with a price 8 grand cheaper than what was listed. he said he couldn't do that, but, what if we financed it. gave him a monthly price that was pretty much half what he said originally. he didn't blink, said he would work the numbers. said he would be right back. we waited. and waited, and then left. with the kia, we told the guy this is what we were offering, and we bought it. blam! just like that. i don't care about free wifi, soy latte free range coffee beans picked by swedish virgins in bikinis.....no wait, i am interested in that. anyway, all that extra dealership stuff is useless to me. here's my car, fix it, wash it, show me the receipts and the parts, then i can go home. as for loaner cars, i have been offered loaners, which were crap, but most time they just rent me a car from the local rental agency if the car is going to stay overnight or longer. but, they all offer a courtesy shuttle ride from the dealership and a pick up when the car is ready, within reason of course. wow, that was alot for two cents worth of opinion.

5. gilthanis1

gilthanis1 United States Active Member

Totally with you on this one. Just a nice clean dealership is good enough for me. Spend the extra savings on great techs who know what they are doing and get me in and out with reliable repairs, oil changes, etc and I'm good. I get a free cup of coffee?? Bonus.

Besides, I make better coffee at home anyway and they won't serve Crown Black and Coke so I don't want to be here any longer than necessary. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. stinger4ever

stinger4ever United States Newish Member

visited 3 dealerships around West palm Beach, the first one in December, poor customer service (had to wait 40 min to speak to sales person with whom I made an appointment with the day prior), dealership was under construction and had the feel of a frat house, staff uniforms (polo shirt) were looking washed out and not very professional. They looked at me suspiciously and the sales person had to call the store during the test drive to make sure he was still alive and that I wasn't stilling the car...LOL but at least I got to drive a 3.3 but only GT1. Second dealership had a very new sales person and didn't know anything about the product but I knew enough for the 2 of us...Kinda boring test drive on GT2. Third one in Delray, great sales person, good test drive on the car I'm looking for GT2 ceramic AWD , more pleasant atmosphere than the other 2. What I find difficult to stomach is the service level, coming from Lexus with top of the line service and care, spending 50K and looking around the KIA dealerships I don't really feel the love and it's certainly giving me pause. The Genesis ( G80 sport / New G70) service is a lot more appealing and Lexus (GS) aftercare is going to had to give up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mldavis2

mldavis2 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Buy the car, not the service. A good car needs little or no service during the warranty period. If you want chocolates and someone to shine your shoes and iron your shoelaces, you pay for that up front. Not worth it to me. I want to drive, not sit in a spa waiting for a repair.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Helo58

Helo58 United States Active Member

Let's be clear, no one is seeking Godivas, Shiatsu chair massage, and a readily available bootblack. As another potential Stinger owner coming from a luxury brand (Lexus), we are seeking competence, professionalism, and peace of mind should something arise in the future no matter how unlikely it may be. My experience at the Lexus dealer has been phenomenal. Every trip I made to the dealer for maintenance including everything from oil changes, in-depth maintenance such as spark-plug changes, and a hail damage repair left me feeling supremely confident in their ability to fix the problem quickly and correctly the first time. Lexus always provided a NICE loaner car and kept me updated via text message on the status of my maintenance visit. When my car was returned to me, it was cleaner than when I dropped it off, always.

I have yet to walk into a Kia dealer that inspired the same level of confidence. in fact, it has been just the opposite. It is my guess that many paying $50k+ for a car that have had these luxury "experiences" at other carmakers will (and do) expect the same of Kia. Everyone paying 40k-60k at Lexus is getting the top notch product, professionalism, service, reliability, resale value, and oh yes.... the chocolates, shoe shines, and aroma therapy to boot for the same price.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. stinger4ever

stinger4ever United States Newish Member

my point exactly Helo58, as a female I am extra sensitive to the way the after care is handle, the truth is we are all sensitive to how we get treated, why do you think all those companies are spending millions on costumer service and advertisement, a great product will only take you so far if you don't back it up with great service. No one likes to feel like a sucker. I don't need chocolates or fancy coffee but professionalism, knowledge and respect is a must .....that you spend 20K or 50K!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. shaggystinger

shaggystinger United States Active Member

My experience so far has been a mixed bag. My local dealership literally looks like you are walking up to a 7-11 but the inside had a few nice touches. The salesman was a very to-the-point kinda guy with no real personality to speak of BUT I will take that over any of the other sleazy salesman approaches. The sales manager barely looked at me twice and the service bay looked like the stuff car guy nightmares are made of. The test drive (a 2.0) was uneventful and basically solidified my decision for the 3.3TT.

Where things take an odd turn is when dealing with multiple dealerships online. I have determined that these dealerships must think the modern shopper is just plain stupid! Go to cars.com/autotrader.com and you will find some enticing prices but so far, when dealing with 3 different dealerships it's the same song and dance. They have you on hold while talking to the manager only to come back and state "Sorry but the prices on those sites are wrong". You call them out on it and they say "we will need to get that corrected. Here's what we can offer you" and it's $3-4000 more. Funny part is, the next day, you go online and see the same car, no price change and they have added pictures, updated it etc. How stupid do you think people are???? It's one thing to get someone to come through the door and then up-sell them but more people look online first. Do other brands use the same tactics?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mldavis2

You can tell that many dealerships, especially those carrying lower-end vehicles, think the average buyer just graduated from Kindergarten. You get monkey suits, talking car hoods, balloons on door handles and other hokey crap that only a child could relate to. I don't know if they think that by acting stupid you think they would give away their cars, or if such behavior had become ingrained in the auto-advertising culture to the point where if they don't do something stupid, they just don't stand out. You don't see that from Audi, MB, Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac or even VW or Subaru, but it's quite prevalent with U.S. domestic car dealers.

But you also want to avoid any car dealer that outright lies about something. It's OK to make a mistake in a car spec or something like that, but to say an MSRP is something other than what the manufacturer gives on their web site is just plain dishonest, and once a dealer is willing to lie about one thing, they have no qualms about lying about anything and everything else to make a big profit sale, whether it's $400 for nitrogen-filled tires or a single $250 pinstripe or "paint prep" for $1000 that amounts to nothing but a wash job. Also beware of those dealers who print up a fake Moroney sheet for the window sticker that changes all the numbers. That is a clear and intentional deception. Know the numbers before you enter their door, and walk out if they cheat.

Honest dealers should be rewarded with more customers and more sales. Dishonest dealers can go straight to hell.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. NYLAWBIZ

NYLAWBIZ United States Stinger Enthusiast

One simple rule: Caveat Emptor. Be educated, price shop, and realize that you are not married to the dealership from whom you purchase your car. Any KIA dealer will honor the warranty, and hopefully, you will not have too many occasions to need their service department anyway. I saved thousands by buying from a dealership about 100 miles away. I had a great ride home that day :).

• Like Like x 2
  13. gilthanis1

I am using my local dealer that my wife and I purchased our 2016 Optima from. I tried to buy a Stinger from them but they were hanging on to above sticker when they first released. They didn't get a Sunset Yellow (no big surprise) but when I took it in for the first oil change, the attitude in the service department was extremely nice and professional.

They even told me that I was way below the mileage for my first oil change before they even took the car back. Ended up getting the first full synthetic for $74 b/c they gave me the basic synthetic price, but they let me know it would be more expensive going forward. No biggie, you honored the quote you told me when I walked in, so I'll be back to keep utilizing the service department.

The dealership is nice, clean, and updated. I've seen the service area and it's extremely clean for being a shop. They treat me like a human, get me in and out fast, and can usually always get me in first thing on a Saturday since my wife and I both work full time. I'm good with that.

Personal opinion, there's no way I would switch to MB/BMW/Audi/Lexus/etc and give up my Stinger. Ive driven them all and nothing close to this price point makes me as happy as this car does, dealers be dammed. I buy the car because that's were I spend most of my time. If I have to stay at the dealer enough to need a 5 * experience, then I need another brand of car.

14. Helo58

As many people here say they won't have to go to the dealership often, I am curious about where you will get maintenance done. Many have the option of including scheduled services into their financing or through other offers at the dealer, all recalls and service bulletins will have to be completed by the dealer, and if you lease, you will have your turn in inspection at/by the dealer. My Lexus dealer performs scheduled maintenance as cheaply as stand alone mechanics and all of the standard maintenance I do is captured in services such as CarFax. I actually enjoy going to the Lexus dealership to have all my work done and have never had a bad experience there.

I have used the marriage analogy before, you are marrying the car but you will have the dealership as your in-laws. Sure you may only see them twice a year, but they sure can ruin Easter and Christmas dinner if you get into it. I am hard pressed to see what is wrong with wanting the car to be great AND the dealership to be great. I know it can be done, I have seen it. Some act as though this is a zero-sum game and it isn't. There is no reason that you shouldn't expect both to be great and if they aren't both great, let someone know and find a dealership that is. I get the idea that you buy and drive the car, not the dealer, but why are so many willing to settle for that when you don't have to? The owner or general manager of the dealership should establish the culture and the atmosphere that the dealership is going to put forth. Some just do it better than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mldavis2

I'm not saying the dealer is a non-issue. Of course it is. All I care about is technicians who are trained on the Stinger and who care about their work, and a service manager who doesn't try to sell you stuff you don't need. A lot of that mentality comes from the general manager or owner. Been there, done that, had the pressure to increase profits and sell more work, needed or not. That's why I left that job many years ago. I'm too honest to be a salesman. I just don't want to pay for fancy stuff that has nothing to do with the car and it's maintenance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NYLAWBIZ

NYLAWBIZ United States Stinger Enthusiast

Ahhh, the good old days. I long for them too, but that's not today's realty. Auto sales (like much of retail) is all about internet sales. Auto repair and service is all about being convenient (local). Two different worlds.

Service departments at dealerships are separate profit centers then sales departments. Dealerships that have survived to the present day have adapted by treating each individually.

The long and short of it, your local dealer would be happy to have your service business, whether you purchased the car from them or not. So why not make this large purchase from the lowest priced, reputable dealer?

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Helo58

That is a fine point and one taken. It seems I have just been so disappointed in the dealerships as a whole that I have not considered them separately. It is a new perspective but one I feel would have happened on its own in my particular spot. The dealer who has "my car" is certainly not where I would have it serviced if I purchased it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Spencer Steel

Spencer Steel United States Newish Member

Just adding my opinion to this thread. I have been and currently am very disappointed in the level of service and care they give to customers. When I bought a car for over $50k I was hoping to have customer service to match, but I have been disappointed in the service department the few times I've dealt with them. I have been without my car for 16 days and the dealership says it will be another week while they hope the parts show up. To help me with my troubles they have graciously given me a the cheapest Kia Rio they could find as a loaner (while telling me how lucky I was to get a loaner because they don't usually do that)... I understand when you buy the nicest car they have on the lot you can't expect a loaner that of the same caliber but you would hope they would try to give you something comparable, but sadly that is not the case. Kia made a great car but they are significantly lacking when it comes to customer service and taking care of their 'premium car' clients... Hopefully this will improve. Until it does I'm stuck making car payments for a $50k car while driving a $10k car. Lucky me

19. gilthanis1

Call and raise hell with Kia Stinger Customer Service. We have a dedicated customer service line for a reason. There is no way in HELL I would accept a Rio as a loaner car and I would never take a *RIO* when I have to leave a Stinger b/c they don't have parts available. They can at least give you an Optima SX.

Be verbal, call Kia, thats the only way this is going to get better.

20. GregM

GregM United States Member

What happened to your Stinger so they need to keep it for so long?

Draft saved Draft deleted