Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) Operation

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by FangoMac, Feb 24, 2018.

1. StingerGT68

StingerGT68 Stinger Enthusiast

Mine works fine, it went off today actually lol. Didn't have to apply the brakes but it beeped when someone cut me off.

2. BostonBob

BostonBob United States Newish Member

Does anyone understand how the forward collision warning / avoidance system is supposed to work. I was expecting that the car would warn me when I was approaching something but it doesn't seem to be doing that under any circumstances. I have watched the official Kia videos which shows warnings and then braking whenever you are approaching something. I have also read that parts of the system is disabled in some countries. I love the car and I know that it has the technology to do this - the adaptive cruise control and lane assist work great. Forward collision avoidance is a critical safety feature.. I'd be pretty upset if it doesn't work.

3. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

I think when using the radar it will warn you if the speed and distance are in a certain range to warn you. I believe if it thinks you can safely stop in a reasonable amount of time and distance it will not warn you.

4. BostonBob

Have you seen it work? Does it only work above a certain speed? My Honda will tell me if I am approaching any barrier at an unsafe speed. I haven't been able to trigger the Forward Collision Warning (FCW) at any speed or under any circumstances.

5. Ucinn

I would imagine that is something in the menu you can turn on and off? I don't have it as I have a GT, maybe somebody else can chime in here.

6. ScottM

ScottM United States Active Member

I've had mine do both. There was a time when on the highway, I was coming up on someone fast, as they were slowing down for some reason. I go to pass them on the left and my heads up displays this red "wholly crap" blinkie deal. On another occasion last week, I was driving along on a regular old street when someone in front of me decided to just make a right hand turn out of the blue, my car applied the brakes for a second. I believe the "wholly crap" signal is when is senses the difference in speed, but it's not "wholly crap, you're gonna die" level. The "autobrake" deal probably senses that you're in for a bad day in a second...so brakes are applied. So...there's that. :geek:

7. mhal8876

mhal8876 United States Active Member

My salesman told me about the Forward Collision Warning (FCW) works only if you're going 35 mph or over.

8. StingEm

StingEm United States Active Member

This is what the Stinger service manual has to say about FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist):
    • Collisions may occur at 30km/h or faster depending on the road conditions.
    • While driving at 80km/h or slower on a straight or slightly curved road, after a visual and vocal warning, FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) is activated to reduce the vehicle speed.
    • At 80km/h or faster, it's impossible to avoid a collision and the system does not go to step 3 of emergency braking.
    • Offset of vehicle in front must be less than 50%
    • FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) does not respond to pedestrians when the vehicle is traveling at 70km/h or faster.

FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) Steps (in sequence):
    1. Visual and vocal alarm when danger is detected.
    2. Engine torque is reduced and FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) is activated when there is a high chance of collision.
    3. Emergency braking is activated when a collision is imminent.
    4. After stopping of the vehicle: Braking control is maintained for a certain time and then is released.

Braking power is released immediately when:
    • Maximum operating speed is exceeded (80km/h)
    • When driver's action to avoid a collision is detected (such as sudden steering changes)
    • When the shift lever is in R or P (FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) does not work in reverse)
    • When the driver presses the accelerator pedal half way

The FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) system prevents excessive brake control by altering the "required speed reduction" depending on the risk levels detected by the frontal impact sensor (radar).

1st warning begins at approximately 2.5-2.0 seconds before impact, 2nd warning and pre-braking begins approximately 1.3-1.7 seconds before impact, and braking up to max braking force begins at approximately 0.8-1.0 seconds before impact.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

The FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) is adjustable through the instrument cluster settings, so you can change it to high sensitivity to give you alerts earlier.

Also, as been said many times, you *should* be distrusting the system. It's meant as a last resort for when you're not paying attention to the road, but just always pay attention and it won't be an issue. Even if you have to not pay attention, don't rely on the system to protect you.

10. mhal8876

mhal8876 United States Active Member

FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) works! Today car in front of me suddenly brake, hear the warning beep and it brake by it self:thumbup:

11. BostonBob

Issue: Forward Collision Warning (Forward Collision Warning (FCW)) is NOT working on some vehicles.

As many have mentioned on this forum, Forward Collision Warning (FCW) is not working for them. Others have reported that it is working on their vehicles. I love the car BUT this is an important feature for me and I am determined to find out what is going on.

Here is what I have been able to determine from Kia official sources:
    The Forward Collision Warning (FCW) works at any speed over 5 mph
    It works in three stages
    First stage: it is supposed to simply warn the driver by displaying this message Forward Warning and beeping
    Second stage: Warning message changed to collision warning
    Third stage (AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) - Autonomous Emergency Braking) The car starts braking (AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking)). If you are braking it increases the braking force if you aren't hitting the brakes hard enough to avoid the collision if possible. If you are pressing on the gas pedal, AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) will be disabled.
    The AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) system will not engage over 50 mph
    The system employs slightly different logic when it detects a pedestrian. For example, it will not brake at over 43 mph instead of 50 mph for a vehicle.

I am using three sources: owners manual, Kia official video , an my conversations with Karen Johnson at Kia corporate.

Here are the steps I've taken:
    Called my dealer and several other dealers. Received conflicting and at times inaccurate info.
    Next, I opened a case with KIA corporate / US customer service.
    Kia corporate has been very helpful. They discussed the issue with my dealer (who has not yet been trained on the system). My dealer told me they would be ready next week (May 28th) to look at the car and I've scheduled an appointment.

Other details:
    You need to turn on the system through the user setting menus.
    The system will not operate if stability control is turned off.
    The system has three settings: Early, Normal and Late. These change the timing of the alerts.
    Some people have posted that they have seen the system operate and that the AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) system has engaged.

If this feature is IMPORTANT to you, I'd like to hear from you. Kia is doing a great job, but they may need a few of us to push them if we are going to get this issue fixed.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  12. BostonBob

Don't think this is correct. I've been looking into this. The official KIA info says Forward Collision Warning (FCW) works at any speed over 5 mph. See my post on this. Contact me if this is important to you.

13. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Forward Collision Warning (FCW) does work, I’ve had both the beeping/warning message and auto braking happen before.

It may not be working on your car but a blanket statement that it’s not working across the board is incorrect.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BostonBob

I did mention in my post that some people are reporting that it works but I agree that my post gives that impression. I will make a change. Can I ask a few questions: Do you use the feature? Are you happy with it? When using it in early mode for example how much warning do you get? Does it warn you about pedestrians?

15. Since moving the location of my dash cam (it was located behind the rear view mirror) i have had the FCA (Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist) warning notify me 3 or 4 times. 1 of these times there was a pedestrian next to the road.
    All seems to be working fine set in (early) mode.

16. StingEm

StingEm United States Active Member

Mine has never warned me, but I wouldn’t expect it to. I try to stay more than 3 seconds from catastrophe as a general rule.

One easy test would be to stack up some cardboard boxes and drive at them. There are some YouTube videos showing this testing for other cars. I think it would be fun but I haven’t had the time to bother with it yet.

17. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Yes a use it, I think I have it set to the middle setting and I think it works as intended. The only issue I have is that it doesn’t know when cars are moving out of the way (turning or getting into a turn lane) or I’m moving out of their way (changing lanes) but that’s not something it can know without a lot more sensors.

The only time I’ve had an issue is when I’m in the situation of coming up on someone and I’m about to change lanes but I get too close and the car hits the brakes before I change lanes. I just need to adjust my driving style a bit to stay out of the braking situations.

I’ve not encountered a situation with a pedestrian that I would expect it to go off.

18. Haywall

Haywall United States New Member

Mine definitely has braked at well over 50mph or 80kph.... Need to get this checked out cause I think it's almost made me cause an accident.

19. Ucinn

I've had the warning come up a few times, but it's never hit the brakes for me yet.

20. washguy

washguy United States Active Member

Me too.....I know the right lane in a 3 lane roadway is not the best lane cause you are the first to get hit from an oncoming car off a side street....but the 3 times it went off (no brakes) I was in the right lane, and a car was approaching from a side street....no car in front of me...holy crap !.... Wash

Draft saved Draft deleted