Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Favorite driving mode

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Pachanga918, May 16, 2019.

1. Pachanga918

Pachanga918 United States Newish Member

I really like the smart mode. I wish it would stay on that mode when I start the car. Every time I start the car It defaults back to comfort.

In comfort if I give it the beans I feel it hesitates, eco is too slow, and sport is too sensitive.

Smart seems to be perfect but the car doesn’t want to stay in that mode. I feel like I’m starting a jet plane all the buttons I gotta press to get going. Start button, auto stop off, switch to smart mode, turn off traction control , then drive.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Sounds like you're having fun, then! :D

If you shut down in Eco it will restart in Eco.

Smart is all three modes, depending on how much you stomp on the go pedal. All the way, it goes into Sport. Aggressive driving will put you into Comfort. Normal driving will keep you in Eco. And the car learns your style, so we are told. I use Smart in the winter when the roads are bad; figure it can't hurt having the car helping with what it knows about my slickery roads driving style.

Of course, any engine mode goes right out the window while you use the paddle shifters.

3. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

Right from the day I brought it home, I've been running mine in Custom. My Custom replicates Sport in each setting except for suspension, which I have set to Comfort due to our crappy roads. During the winter I also set the AWD to Comfort, for a more even torque split. It's obviously just a personal preference but I simply can't image not having the engine/transmission responsiveness from the Sport settings on hand at all times.

4. GenesisG70

GenesisG70 United States Stinger Enthusiast

BEAST MODE, MUSTANG/CAMARO RAPING MODE, CAMRY AND OTHER RICER BEATING MODE. Sorry Sports mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Active Member

I seem to use comfort the most, likely because it defaults there but I also tend to dial in and out of sport on the fly a lot. I seem to develop happy foot and a grin in very little to no traffice conditions. I did try eco last week for a couple days which it will also default back to. But I don't like the lack of responsiveness so likely will only go back to it on a long hwy run like say a trip down I-5 to meet some Seattle Stinger lov'in/Seahawk lov'in brothers/sisters.

6. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

I'm to lasy to move out of comfort mode. If however I find an empty on ramp I'll dial up warp speed mode.

7. Theemfinger

Theemfinger United States Member

This may be a dumb question, but why turn off traction control? If you are on a track, yea I can see why, but for a normal drive why not keep that on in case you need it for an emergency? These tires are already expensive enough for me to want to not want to waste any tread spinning them.

On to the actual question, i stay in comfort mostly. I just wish I could choose the throttle response of sport mode with the transmission setting of comfort in custom. I hate that it holds revs and shifts harder when I’m not always wanting that. The sport throttle is just addicting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MerlintheMad

I don't turn TSC off unless I am preparing for a run up "my skid pad" (the cloverleaf), or some similar "spirited driving" venue. So TSC is on 99% plus of the time. I agree with you.

9. Theemfinger

Theemfinger United States Member

Yea that makes plenty of sense. I don't want to talk down someones driving skills, but I imagine the traction and stability control system can do a better job than 99.99% of people in the real world. It has the ability to individually apply brakes on each wheels and such to keep the car in more control. I do think people over estimate their driving skills sometimes. It's their car, more power to them.

10. MerlintheMad

It isn't a "see my skillful driving" thing, it's a watching the G meter thing, on the "skid pad". I'm trying out wheels, tires and sway bar; comparing to how I did this prior to new wheels and sway bar. So it is relative: average/smaverage skill before, and ditto now: but I can tell if the CAR is better, the same or worse. So far, it seems better. (And I am getting better too.)

11. JasonC3962

JasonC3962 United States Member

I wish there was a less aggressive sport mode. I like everything about sport mode except that it winds/holds the gears out too far for normal driving. It does not even shift into 8th gear unless you are going over 75 MPH! A milder sport mode, and then a race/track mode would be nice. I just use custom most of the time with everything set to sport except the engine/trans.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pachanga918

There’s some uneven roads I take and when I try to make turns it slows the car down too much. I’d take the turn put the hammer down and it lags. I’m used to an old Firebird that was just all torque, all the time and no nannies to help you. I don’t do it all the time but when I do I gotta remember to take it off.

13. Pachanga918

Exactly this. I feel smart is as close to mild sports I can get. I don’t need to coast at 2500 rpms all the time. Smart mode brings it out of sport once your 20 seconds of fun is over. Hit the throttle again and it goes back to sport for some more fun. Rinse and repeat.

14. Jacques

Jacques United States Active Member STL Stinger Club

I've been on Comfort for the most part. I have switched to Sport while in the drive sometimes when I get impatient in traffic. :p I used that mode as well over the weekend while driving to and from my area's wine country...damn it's so addicting. I've yet to use Eco and Smart, will try the latter on the way home.

15. MerlintheMad

Same here. Custom is the way to get Sport but toned down.

16. Ucinn

Ucinn United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Single lane road, it's in comfort. 2 lane or more, goes into sport.

17. Rakker

Rakker United States Member

Sport always (unless I forget then I'm like wtf after accelerating)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Jonathan Lasich

Jonathan Lasich Canada Active Member

I programmed my custom mode to have everything in Eco except Sport steering for 4 lane highway driving (it's on cruise control anyway). Sport mode in town and everywhere else

19. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I only turn the car into sport mode when I'm feeling "sporty," I notice I drive rather aggressively in sport mode lol.

I typically drive in Custom which is set to sport everything except Comfort suspension and Comfort engine/trans. In the winter I would use Smart mode when in rush hour commutes, just to maybe "save a little gas" and keep the torque split at 40/60 for better traction on icy roads.

20. Crisis

Crisis Canada Active Member

Manually shifting eliminates the issue about holding the gears too long and not shifting to 8th for highway cruising . Realize that paddle shifting isn't for everyone, but just wanted to point that out. If you're will to use the paddles, I think you get the ideal setup in Sport or Custom.

• Agree Agree x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted