FAQ: Vibration under braking: warped rotors? NO!

D.J.

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

baws22489

What if you just push the pedal harder? What would happen?

No.
Sounds dangerous and scarry.
To be honest never tried to push harder as it was shaking/vibrating pretty good. I am driving a 60 mile drive tomorrow. I will push harder and see what happens and respond when I get back home. Thanks for the reply

StingertimeNC

1000 Posts Club!
NC
That's just standard pad deposits. With good pads and rotors, properly bedded in, you can push the brakes until the abs activates, with no pulsation of any kind. Get new pads and new rotors, or new pads and have your rotors turned. you'll be happy that you did. A local mechanic here will turn the rotors for less than $200. grab some hawk HPS 5.0 pads and don't look back!

baws22489

the brakes worked as expected. i pushed harder where I would normally let off and push again. it vibrates some but no issues in stopping so that's reassuring. I will try the re-bedding procedure when i can figure out a good place to try and then be able to drive it a while. thanks everyone!

laynevans

Anyone tried 2 piece front rotors like EBC or Girodisc? I'm looking at prices and suppliers (in Australia) now. I'm not racing my Stinger any more until I get something sorted on the brakes :( One day of racing and I'm warping the discs. Last track session I did I tried to take it a bit easier on the braking but it's hard to not push it all the way to the limits. Warping feels a lot less and I could probably get one more day of track work on the same discs but I really need a better solution. Otherwise there's no point having the car, for me.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

StingertimeNC

1000 Posts Club!
NC
last time I was at the track I was using super aggressive GLoc pads with stock rotors. Of course i didn't understand quite how difficult the bed in process was with aggressive pads. you basically have to devote your first session to it. couple warm up laps, a few laps more aggressive, then a couple full cooldown laps. Of course i tried to bed them in before I went to the track and essentially had no pad transfer to the rotors. as a result, my first session left uneven deposits and the next two days resulted in even more uneven deposits and brake shudder the whole time.

In a month I will go back for a couple of days, with DBA T3 rotors and hawk hps 5.0 pads. The brakes are properly bedded, or close, with even deposits around the rotor surface. I'm expecting better results this go around.

Bigserver1

I just switched to EBC Redstuff pads because I had the vibration at freeway speeds on the stock pads. The vibration is better right away (they were installed today), but there is still some vibration present while braking at 50+ MPH. Confirmed with the owner of the shop I took it to (a performance based mechanic) that the rotors are in good shape, so those aren’t warped.

I know there’s a 200-300 mile break in period on these pads before I can fully bed them in, so will this vibration continue to lessen over time? Curious to hear the thoughts of anyone who’s switched to Redstuff pads on an otherwise stock setup.

On the nice side, the brake feel is already better, even on the first drive on the new pads.

HDTurbo

Saratoga, NY
Rotors don’t warp. It’s deposits on the rotors from the previous pads. Follow the pad manufacturer’s bed in process.

stingerwanter

Las Vegas
I bought my Stinger in July. In around September I started noticing pretty bad vibration/shaking when braking in excess of 40-50 MPH. Brought the car in today to Towbin Kia in Vegas. 40k miles. Front brake rotors warped. $220 to "machine" and fix. No warranty fix on this item. Any suggestions?

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
I bought my Stinger in July. In around September I started noticing pretty bad vibration/shaking when braking in excess of 40-50 MPH. Brought the car in today to Towbin Kia in Vegas. 40k miles. Front brake rotors warped. $220 to "machine" and fix. No warranty fix on this item. Any suggestions?
Forget about warranty on a used vehicle. Either turn the rotors or replace. Regardless of what you do, replace the pads with anything other than the stock Kia pads. I just traded my 2018 GT for a 2023 G70, have under 100 miles on it and replacing the pads with the same pads I did on my 2018. This is the best $225 mod done and takes longer to jack up the car and pull the tires than it does to replace the pads. I love Brembo calipers. Good luck.

D.J.

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Change your pads

Nearly any non OEM brembo pad will do better with respect to pad deposits.

TheAlien666

40K miles in 4 months? Unless you bought your Stinger used perhaps? What year is it?
This has been discussed many times before. The discs are not warped. It's an uneven deposit from the pads. You can either have the discs "turned" to remove the deposits or do a re-bedding procedure.

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
If going so far as to have the discs removed to be turned, swap in some better pads to prevent it from needing to be done again in a few months/year.

ChaneRZ

1000 Posts Club!
Bay Area, California
Get better pads. That’s all!

Skibum

Agreed on just replacing the pads. I put EBC red stuff on 2 weeks ago on 15k mile rotors and the car does not shake or vibrate anymore on heavy braking.

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
What excellent, non-deposit-leaving, low-dust options do folks recommend on an '18 GT?

str8bizns

What excellent, non-deposit-leaving, low-dust options do folks recommend on an '18 GT?
I got the power stop Z26 and dust is minimal, 0 vibration, great stopping power and I drive aggressive. I punch it between stop lights and heat up my breaks quick. No issues at all.

Kazz

Texas Stinger Swarm
STL Stinger Club
Illinois
I got the power stop Z26 and dust is minimal, 0 vibration, great stopping power and I drive aggressive. I punch it between stop lights and heat up my breaks quick. No issues at all.
Thanks!