kia stinger store

Exhaust shop says V6 & V8 engine is the cause of drone. But - is this true?

SEPPUKU

After I requested to see if the exhaust the shop would add exhaust tips if I purchased them, since it would potentially funnel sound out further from the (non attached) Kia Stinger exhaust tips.

Here’s what the exhaust shop said:
“Im almost 100% certain the tips arent the cause of the drone. Loud exhaust is the cause, having a v6 vs a v8 amplifies it”

Little info on my Stinger: Kia Stinger GT1 2018 - it got a muffler delete /w custom straight pipe from the shop. I’ve been reviewing the forums and saw notice that exhaust tips would help funnel the sound out further since the exhaust shop says they have no suggestions to assist with drone.

Is this true? - otherwise I was going with the dremel method to open up up the exhaust inserts on the bumper to add the (what might be 2.5mm to 3.5mm, haven’t done measurements yet) tips.

kia stinger badges
Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

NS_Stinger

1000 Posts Club!
After I requested to see if the exhaust the shop would add exhaust tips if I purchased them, since it would potentially funnel sound out further from the (non attached) Kia Stinger exhaust tips.

Here’s what the exhaust shop said:
“Im almost 100% certain the tips arent the cause of the drone. Loud exhaust is the cause, having a v6 vs a v8 amplifies it”

Little info on my Stinger: Kia Stinger GT1 2018 - it got a muffler delete /w custom straight pipe from the shop. I’ve been reviewing the forums and saw notice that exhaust tips would help funnel the sound out further since the exhaust shop says they have no suggestions to assist with drone.

Is this true? - otherwise I was going with the dremel method to open up up the exhaust inserts on the bumper to add the (what might be 2.5mm to 3.5mm, haven’t done measurements yet) tips.
Tips can definitely help if the existing tips are too short and let the sounds reverb off the back bumper or diffuser. They probably haven't dealt with drone much though because they should know about helmholtz resonators and that by adding them they might be able to help the issue.

But fact of the matter is if you have muffler deletes you will always have some drone for sure.

SEPPUKU

Thanks for such a quick reply back. Still confused on why I haven’t made a account on this forum after a year in over a year of having the car. I’m going to look into helmholtz resonators and try to DIY exhaust tips myself, although I’m a car in training so I’m always worried about messing things up.

Adoom

Thanks for such a quick reply back. Still confused on why I haven’t made a account on this forum after a year in over a year of having the car. I’m going to look into helmholtz resonators and try to DIY exhaust tips myself, although I’m a car in training so I’m always worried about messing things up.
The tips should remove about 70 to 80% of the drone, though a loud car will still be loud. Also, removing the tips is easy if you dont have a muffler in the way lol, just unbolt each side, unscrew the top screws, and they should slide over your current pipe.