Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Exhaust Comparison Chart

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Karl Davlin, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Karl Davlin

Karl Davlin United States Newish Member

I've been looking at the forum for hours. I've put together this incomplete chart comparing exhausts. I realize the loudness of the exhaust is relative and is somewhat based on the individual. However, this should be a good start for someone to hone in on what they would like to have in an exhaust.

For example, I would like the to cruise quietly down the highway (no drone) and yet yield as much power as possible at WOT.

I'm keeping the numbers (1-5) relative to the original exhaust; where 1 is quiet (equal to stock) and 5 if very loud compared to stock.

I'm willing to update this chart if people would like to give feedback. Hopefully, this will help others as well as me.

upload_2018-9-6_19-30-9.png

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

You are a legend! Thx

3. Rhode Block

Rhode Block United States Newish Member

This is awesome! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bear

Bear United States Active Member

For the fitment of Borla...it was probably the easiest exhaust I’ve ever had to line up and hang up. I’ve done probably close to 20-30 exhaust changes across many different cars and this was actually enjoyable.

I’ve heard some of the other videos, but I’d say not only does Borla have a louder drone, but it has a louder and deeper sound in general. Enough to piss off my neighbors. I can tell when my wife comes home from a deep hum inside the house. I personally like it, although many others won’t.

For the price...it was impossible for me to not buy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. WildBill

WildBill United States Active Member

I like your style Karl!
    Here is mine. Not quite as qualitative as yours but has a few different options to look into.
    ExhaustCapture.PNG

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Rhode Block

Rhode Block United States Newish Member

Wildbill, that’s pretty cool too.

This is the stuff a new guy like me is hoping to find!!

7. WildBill

Add another one to the list.
    Ultimate Performance LLC. Primary cat replacement, secondary cat delete / downpipe for $1399
    Will mate up to an aftermarket cat back.
    They posted it on FB, don't see it on their site. No Dyno, slip times or anything like that were posted.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karl Davlin

Strange... I'd update this in my original post, but evidently I can't edit it.

I'd love more feedback so that I can fill out this chart better. :)

upload_2018-9-10_6-31-27.png

9. WildBill

I like the idea of your chart but it's all subjective. Very few people have heard multiple exhaust systems in person to reliably rate one to another. (videos just don't cut it) So IMO it won't be really useful if someone that really likes their system rates it high where most other people would rate it low.

Now the one way to make it somewhat quantitative would be to have people use a dB meter or the same dB meter app on their phones at different speeds etc. But then there will still be variables outside of your control such as the app calibration for various phones, the road surface, the brand and model of tires that are on the car, windows up/down, grade of the road, other mods on the car such as intakes...

10. Karl Davlin

Agreed, that is why I said the ratings are relative... But, it is a start to put it together in one spot. A dB meter would work great if people could do a "before" and "after" on the same car. Then, it wouldn't matter if the same app was used, tires, road, etc. It would indicate a relative increase over stock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Stinger Enthusiast

Let me add two:

JunBL GT non-EVC
    Cabin loudness @ 0-40: 1.5
    Cabin loudness @ 40-60: 2.5
    Cabin loudness @ 60+: 3
    Drone: Moderate at 1800~2200RPM, can be annoying when cruising
    HP gain: 10~15 claimed, but car felt a bit sluggish when cruising. Didn't dyno it.
    Fitment: Good
    Weight: N/A
    Cost: $1100
    Thoughts: Loud in the inside, drone is kinda annoying, sounds good outside.
    Girlfriend test: Didn't like it

RES titanium EVC (electronic valve)
    Cabin loudness @ 0-40: 2
    Cabin loudness @ 40-60: 2
    Cabin loudness @ 60+: 2.5
    Drone: None at all RPM with open valves, a little bit of a humming sound with closed valve at high RPM
    HP gain: N/A, but car feels faster. Didn't dyno it.
    Fitment: Good
    Weight: muffler only 26lbs, full exhaust 36lbs (vs. 79 stock)
    Price: $3600
    Thoughts: No drone, wish it was quieter at low RPM and louder at high RPM, sounds less loud than other exhausts inside the cabin because of the absence of drone but is quite loud outside. Sounds different than steel exhausts. Connects to the OBD port, this is the biggest drawback for me as I would like to connect other things through that port.
    Girlfriend test: Passed

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. xot1

By the way, regarding stock exhaust weight:
    Muffler: 26kg - 57.3lbs
    Midpipe: 9.8kg - 21.6lbs
    Total: 35.8kg - 78.9lbs

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Karl Davlin

Thank you for the information!

Here is the latest:

upload_2018-9-12_14-33-52.png

14. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States Active Member

I weighed my catback - stock mufflers and mid pipe with resonators at 56 lbs.

15. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

That's inaccurate, unless SK exhaust is different than US. I weighed mine and though I don't recall the exact weight I remember it being in the mid-50lb range as Tonkabob said.

*Edit: Found my old post. I weighed my stock catback in May and it came to 56.8lbs.

3.3TT - Thermal R&D Catback

16. xot1

Does that include the midpipe?

US exhaust is indeed different from the Korean exhaust but I doubt that there is a significant weight difference as it is made of the same steel.

17. xot1

Ok, I will start an investigation!

Either the aftermarket exhaust advertisement is wrong, either we have a heavier stock exhaust.

But I did lift the two exhausts before install to feel the difference and it DID feel as half the weight. (not an acurate measure!)

18. Kamauxx

Yes, I wanted my write-up to be as detailed as possible so I weighed the entire exhaust, that's mid-pipe and two mufflers with their pipes to compare to my new exhaust. The total for all pieces was 56.8lbs.

It's possible the company that created that picture you posted was trying to over-state the weight savings of their exhaust by exaggerating the weight of the stock exhaust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. xot1

Ok so I got the stock exhaust in a box but I don't want to open the box so I weighed it as it.
    There is nothing inside the box except the exhaust and some bubble paper(?).
    Here is the result:
    20180914_230533.jpg
    20180914_230657.jpg

31.1Kg
    lets remove 1.1kg for the box and the wrappring and say its 30kg of metal. That's 66lbs, 10lbs heavier than your weighing and 10lbs lighter than the ad.

I will maybe weigh it more accurately some day if I have time to unpack, clean the mess and repack but I strongly doubt that the result will differ a lot.

So maybe the US exhaust IS lighter by 10lbs, afterall?

20. Kamauxx

Or the box weighs a little under 10lbs. I suspect the weight of the box is the culprit.

I have mine in the garage but I'm being lazy today.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: